Sponsored

Wrangler Aerodynamics

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Some cows could be more aerodynamic than other breeds. What about the Charolais vs. Longhorn vs. Senepol vs. Brangus??? Then there's the Belted/Banded Galloway or Brahman that could throw a wrench into the mix as well because of more fur or floppy ears and a hump. Just sayin'... :bandit:
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
The coefficient of drag isn't really that bad considering you still want the vehicle to look like a Jeep

Cd = 0.454[28] Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018
0.55 TJ Wrangler
0.50 JK Wrangler
0.45 Dodge Viper RT/10 1996
0.44 Ford Mustang (fastback) 1979
0.30 Average Production car (today)
Not to mention a modern Formula One car that is close to 1.00 - twice the air resistance as a JK.
Cd by itself isn't super useful without Frontal Area (Af)

F1 car has a huge drag coefficient thanks to all of its aero, but a very low Af. This jeep on the other hand has a "low" Cd, but a very large Af.

drag-force-formula.png

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Cd by itself isn't super useful without Frontal Area (Af)

F1 car has a huge drag coefficient thanks to all of its aero, but a very low Af. This jeep on the other hand has a "low" Cd, but a very large Af.

drag-force-formula.png
LOL, yeah the Wrangler is large AF alright.

Seriously though, I feel like they could have made the mirrors a little smaller to reduce the frontal area.

joec63

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy's 2 Door
LOL, yeah the Wrangler is large AF alright.

Seriously though, I feel like they could have made the mirrors a little smaller to reduce the frontal area.
I noticed that yesterday when a JK was beside me. Never had a JK but the JL mirrors did appear larger.

Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
does smittybuilt make a cow rack that will hold a rtt?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The thing that stOod out to me was the effect on the airstream by the hood latches. Look at how the laminar airflow bends away towards the outer edge of the fender. It would interesting to see if there were any deposits that showed the eddy and vortex from the latch. A CD of .45 is pretty remarkable for that shape.
I thought the something. A curious part of me wonders how much better or different the aerodynamics would have been with lower profile latches or no exterior latches? lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
i think the point of race car aerodynamics is to keep the wheels gripping at fast speeds?

the cow is hilarious.
It's all about down force with race cars. In "theory" a F1 race car can create enough downforce to drive inverted. lol!

Sponsored