Status
Not open for further replies.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
What is the point? 30 Miles on a charge then it throws it over to the gas engine. I do not get it.
you can choose to drive EV only while it has a charge... if your commute to and from work is less than 30 miles you burn 0 gas.

or you can drive in hybrid mode, and maybe get 30-40 mpg.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
How much does your monthly electric bill increase if you have a plug in vehicle ? I can imagine it varies, but ballpark.
Depends on how much you drive (with a max of 30 miles EV you won't be charging much more than say 13-15KW a day/night),,, when you charge and what your electricity rate is. For me, I have a time of use plan for my EVs, we pay 9 cents per KW between midnight and 6am. it costs me about $4 in electricity to drive 100 miles. That translates to $480 a year if I drive 12000 miles... Last year I drove 18000 miles on, which would have cost me about $720. However, I had an SUV that averaged about 15 mpg and I spent $5400+ on premium gas.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry if this has been brought up already, (I've looked). I have my Jeep setup to be able to flat tow behind my Motor Home. Which was one of the reasons why I bought my Jeep.That and going off road and being able to go rock crawling. Gods know it wasn't for the MPG.
We did our research and found out at the time none of the EVs or hybrids can be flat towed/recreation towed. Will that still be the case with these or no?
If it still has the manual transfer case, then yeah, it'll probably still be all the same.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How much does your monthly electric bill increase if you have a plug in vehicle ? I can imagine it varies, but ballpark.
I used to daily drive a Chevy Volt, which is also a plug-in hybrid, but definitely more efficient. I drove it about 900 miles a month, with 90% of driving being done on electric and my household electric consumption at home went up an average of 265kwh monthly. My current electric bill charges me $.07 per kwh, so at that rate I paid $18.47 a month to power my car on electric. The other 10% of driving was on gas and it got crazy mpg.
I really wouldn't expect to see 30 miles range in the real world, especially not in a Rubicon. In the winter you might get 11. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I used to daily drive a Chevy Volt, which is also a plug-in hybrid, but definitely more efficient. I drove it about 900 miles a month, with 90% of driving being done on electric and my household electric consumption at home went up an average of 265kwh monthly. My current electric bill charges me $.07 per kwh, so at that rate I paid $18.47 a month to power my car on electric. The other 10% of driving was on gas and it got crazy mpg.
I really wouldn't expect to see 30 miles range in the real world, especially not in a Rubicon. In the winter you might get 11. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.
You're not wrong, but I'm not sure that necessarily matters from Jeep's perspective, or the consumers' perspective. Jeep could make the EV range 200 miles if they wanted, they'd just need to add $20,000 or so worth of batteries to do it...but they wouldn't sell more than a few.

30 miles is enough for some folks, not enough for others, but a nice first step.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I’m one of the thousands of owners of ultra-low-mileage 2nd vehicle owners. While I'm not sure I trust FCA to get this vehicle right, I'd be the perfect target for it.
Aside from my drive home from the out of state dealer, I can only think of a single > 30 mile trip I've taken. My normal daily drive is under 15 miles although I'll have the occasional day of running around town.

I'll round out my first year of ownership with about 3500 miles on the odometer. My primary vehicle gets about 8-9k a year, depending.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I will buy gas, don't need the extra weight and break downs......
Why does the weight bother you, when the ultimate function of that weight is better performance and mileage?

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Why does the weight bother you, when the ultimate function of that weight is better performance and mileage?
think his issue is potential reliability down the road? A valid point....but then again FCA is no stranger to Hybrid drive trains esp in EU I believe.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Weight is killer off-road. Especially if you like to load down with gear. I’m interested to see how heavy the system is. Most weight should be down low though which is a plus.

Wandering_Cascadian

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe; 1976 GMC High Sierra 1500
Anyone know where we'll actually be able to watch the reveal? I assume this will be similar to the Bronco reveal style right?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
What is the point? 30 Miles on a charge then it throws it over to the gas engine. I do not get it.
30 miles covers a typical work commute for many. Typical drives to the grocery store, the mall, school, wherever. If you frequently do short to medium rides like this, you'll burn pretty much zero fuel. I see my fuel gauge drop like a rock just running errands in my 3.6 2 door. Would be nice to save some gas around town and always roll out longer trips to go wheeling on a full tank.

That being said, a mildly set up rig on 35 ATs or MTs is going to tear through that range so fast it'll be useless. I'm interested to see how they improve the 4xe as time goes on tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.