Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
What is the point? 30 Miles on a charge then it throws it over to the gas engine. I do not get it.
my original hope was the rumored 38 miles as that would get me to and from work on all E... now I'd have to plugin to a standard outlet for maybe an hour at work , but could still get home on all E
Sponsored

BKio

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Ecodiesel
I like my 2020 ecodiesel. I would love a diesel electric hybrid but nobody seems to make them. I do not want to go back to gas.

OP
OP
BearJewJonny

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
The point is either your lucky and your average commute can be made in under that 30 then you recharge at work and make it home with no gas usage.

or local errands done all under that 30.

or you switch it to use electric and gas at the same time and probably average anywhere to 40-50 mpg as opposed to the keeps regular 17.

plus helping the environment and all that stuff.

OP
OP
BearJewJonny

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
It would be great if it was more than 30 but that seems to be the number everyone goes on other than full ev cars.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
What is the point? 30 Miles on a charge then it throws it over to the gas engine. I do not get it.
Hybrids don't just suck the battery dry and give up. The management system is constantly balancing out charging the battery from the gas engine or regenerative braking and using the electric motor.

The normal engine program on this is probably to drive mixed, some of the other plug-ins you have to force into electric only mode (because you know your drive is in electric only range). If you fully drain the battery, you can't use it when the car wants it to save fuel.

Sponsored

Mangoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Pharma R&D
The point is either your lucky and your average commute can be made in under that 30 then you recharge at work and make it home with no gas usage.

or local errands done all under that 30.

or you switch it to use electric and gas at the same time and probably average anywhere to 40-50 mpg as opposed to the keeps regular 17.

plus helping the environment and all that stuff.
Idk. Where I live we get our power from a nuclear plant. Those spent rods have to go somewhere. I don’t think that is saving the environment. It’s just a different kind of pollution. Lol

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Idk. Where I live we get our power from a nuclear plant. Those spent rods have to go somewhere. I don’t think that is saving the environment. It’s just a different kind of pollution. Lol
Yes it all has to go somewhere but spent rods can be used multiple times now before being thrown away

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
If I had to guess this will probably have the 2 Litre Turbo Rather than the Pentastar. What do you guys think?
Yes, it has the 2.0T eTorque. It is supposed to provide ~30 easy miles on electric. Anything else is dino power. When they put a price to it that will be the BIG revel.

If it's priced like the diesel it'll be Jeep's 2nd disappointment. The Bronco will certainly help Jeep be more realistic in their option pricing. Right, Jeep?

Fikestrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee KL
You're right, the environmental savings varies by your location and what your source of electricity is (coal versus solar, for example). Here's a website that does that calculation for you. They don't have the jeep up yet, but you can see the difference in eco-savings by plugging in another car like the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV to make the comparison.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
How much does your monthly electric bill increase if you have a plug in vehicle ? I can imagine it varies, but ballpark.
Our home electric bill increased $24/month with our first EV, but we also had free charging at work, so call it $50/month to be conservative. That being said, our gas bill dropped from $260/month down to $60/month, so the EV was nearly a free car (we got a cheap lease).

KCJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't get the hate and skepticism over a PHEV Wrangler. It's not like they're scrapping a beloved engine choice, so in the end who cares? The JL is going to have the most broad power plant options of any Wrangler ever: V6, 2.0 Turbo, Diesel, and now hybrid. Each with it's own pros & cons. Aren't more options always a good thing?

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
This is Shocking News from FCA..Truly Shocking!

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
The big thing about electric cars or plug in hybrid is this: power plants are more efficient at creating power than cars by far, especially in countries like the US, France, Germany, countries that have a high amount of renewable and nuclear energy

Meaning, you want to spend a little bit more power creating an electric vehicle then to have gas cars in the long term because gas cars will cause way more pollution in the long run

No energy is perfect but with how things are now, this is such a good start for the future and I firmly believe this will be the norm in the next 50 years

PyrateCex

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited JLU
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry if this has been brought up already, (I've looked). I have my Jeep setup to be able to flat tow behind my Motor Home. Which was one of the reasons why I bought my Jeep.That and going off road and being able to go rock crawling. Gods know it wasn't for the MPG.
We did our research and found out at the time none of the EVs or hybrids can be flat towed/recreation towed. Will that still be the case with these or no?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.