Sponsored

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Has anyone tested the fuel economy with and without max regen?
No and it would be difficult to test as too many variables on any given drive. Brake regen has been around for quite some time so I am sure you could look up papers that point out the efficiencies and make your own mpg conclusion. One point about regen is that it significantly helps to slow this heavy beast down! If I forget to click the regen mode at startup, my first brake zone catches me off guard and I usually have to do a panic hard brake at the end. The stock HD brakes are undersized in my opinion - probably a hold-over to fit 17 inch wheels which don't work with larger discs and calipers. That's fine for rock crawling but not hauling down this heavy rig from 75 mph off of the interstate. This will be an area I address in the future once these components wear - ss lines, new pads; possibly upgraded brake kit. Otherwise I am pleased with the ride and handling of my Sahara HA 4xe.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
Has anyone tested the fuel economy with and without max regen?
It’s a tough test. On the highway, it’s not as beneficial as around town. It would be hard to come away with a fuel economy impact because it would have to be done in hybrid mode over a pretty long trip to see the difference. The real advantage would be in extending electric mode. I want to try to do two tests where I drive a specified city course with and without. I just haven’t had time to do that.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Thanks for the write-up, Chris. Would be interesting to see the actual impact of e-save and charging mode on MPG. I'm guessing the theoretical drop could be calculated if we knew the power draw from the motor in generator mode. Any FCA powertrain engineers on here?

I'm driving cross-country this summer to Moab and won't have a charging station available so charging up the batteries at the end of a several-hundred-mile trip would be nice for rock crawling the next day.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
I left the Bronco and Bronco6g forum because I was tired of the arguments between forum members regarding vehicles that do not exist yet. Not going to do it here.

Chris, my apologies for the sidetrack.

Last edited:

mcmspark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe, Cherokee, Sahara, Subaru, Volvo xc60
No and it would be difficult to test as too many variables on any given drive. Brake regen has been around for quite some time so I am sure you could look up papers that point out the efficiencies and make your own mpg conclusion. One point about regen is that it significantly helps to slow this heavy beast down! If I forget to click the regen mode at startup, my first brake zone catches me off guard and I usually have to do a panic hard brake at the end. The stock HD brakes are undersized in my opinion - probably a hold-over to fit 17 inch wheels which don't work with larger discs and calipers. That's fine for rock crawling but not hauling down this heavy rig from 75 mph off of the interstate. This will be an area I address in the future once these components wear - ss lines, new pads; possibly upgraded brake kit. Otherwise I am pleased with the ride and handling of my Sahara HA 4xe.
So, it sounds like you generally drive with Max Regen turned on, but it defaults to off when you startup.
(too bad Jeeps always seem to have some default startup setting that is not remembered on next start.)

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
So, it sounds like you generally drive with Max Regen turned on, but it defaults to off when you startup.
(too bad Jeeps always seem to have some default startup setting that is not remembered on next start.)
Per the manual, it is supposed to stay on but I'm guessing they messed up on some software change at some point. With it being in the manual, I would expect that part to be fixed with a future software update.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Per the manual, it is supposed to stay on but I'm guessing they messed up on some software change at some point. With it being in the manual, I would expect that part to be fixed with a future software update.
It’s being worked on. Stay tuned.

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
As for max regen behavior, it does not behave like other electric vehicles where it will come to a full stop with the foot off the gas. The 4xe will 'creep' forward like you would while idling with an ICE engine and automatic transmission (i.e. foot off of the brake - car moves forward slowly). There is no need to emulate this behavior because typically the engine shuts off at stop unless in manual mode. WISH LIST: I would like to see the Max Regen feature allow for one foot drive and stop operation with the gas pedal only like other vehicles. Hopefully this can be done with a software update. Otherwise, I think Jeep really nailed it and this vehicle is a blast to drive!

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Has anyone verified via charging data what percentage the battery is charged up to for a "full" charge? Tesla always encourages not to charge the full battery for longevity unless there's a long drive coming. Other manufacturers "hide" a percentage of capacity for longevity (example, Audi). We know there's 15% or so when the battery is below 1% on the gauge; is there a similar situation when it's at 100%?
After ~2 weeks of driving (heavily using the EV functionality), the best example I have was starting at <1% on the dash (to the point that the ICE had just started running on it's own). My Chargepoint registered 15.54kWh added in 2h31m (charging slows at the end). This aligns pretty closely with the ~15% reserve estimate. There are various losses to account for as well, as charging a battery is not a 100% efficient process (AC>DC losses, thermal losses, etc), so I'd always expect the 'usable' amount out of the battery to be slightly less than the charger registered.

Hydro willy

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl unlimited willys
I have a question which mode is better in the e-save section on the screen battery save or battery charge. I am not really seeing a difference if driving in town on hybrid mode or all electric whats better and what’s the differences

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
As for max regen behavior, it does not behave like other electric vehicles where it will come to a full stop with the foot off the gas. The 4xe will 'creep' forward like you would while idling with an ICE engine and automatic transmission (i.e. foot off of the brake - car moves forward slowly). There is no need to emulate this behavior because typically the engine shuts off at stop unless in manual mode. WISH LIST: I would like to see the Max Regen feature allow for one foot drive and stop operation with the gas pedal only like other vehicles. Hopefully this can be done with a software update. Otherwise, I think Jeep really nailed it and this vehicle is a blast to drive!
It's safer to require the brake to come to a complete stop. At least that way you are holding the brake if you get rear-ended in a stopped situation. Without holding the brake, you'll be pushed into the intersection or car in front of you for sure. I'm surprised other EV's don't require you to do this.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I have a question which mode is better in the e-save section on the screen battery save or battery charge.
The only reason to use e-save at all is if you're going some destination, like an off-road trail, that you want to drive in quiet electric mode. And you don't want the 4xe to use up the battery before you get there.

But say your destination was some trail in Arizona, and you were staying at a hotel with nowhere to charge, and the battery was already drawn down.

Then, you could switch over to "charge" and use extra gasoline while driving on the highway to charge up the battery, so that once you arrive, there will be charge in the battery to use in "quiet mode" on the trail. It's using extra gas so you can operate quietly later.

So:
1. Am I going somewhere and I want to SAVE the charge for later? If yes, use E-Save mode.
2. Is the battery currently discharged? If yes, use "charge" mode to charge while I'm driving there.

I am not really seeing a difference if driving in town on hybrid mode or all electric; what's better and what’s the differences?
What's the difference?
If you're plugging in and primarily using electricity, "electric" will be a little more reluctant to engage the Internal Combustion motor on demand for increased power under acceleration.

In default hybrid mode, it'll use electricity when it can, but is solving for a little more throttle responsiveness, and so will engage the Internal Combustion motor a little more enthusiastically.

What's better?
Do I want to use more electricity and less gasoline? Use "Electric" mode.
Do I want better throttle response and performance driving in traffic? Use Hybrid mode.

(All this should be just re-stating stuff Chris has already said. If what I'm saying disagrees with what he said, take what he said instead.)

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
Chris:

Thank you for the detailed write up. Finally good information about the 4XE to digest.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the same thing. I’d like to have a setting to disable creep.

Hydro willy

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl unlimited willys
Sorry I did not clarify I did not mean the three modes. I meant if u go in the u connect to this picture does this just change how much it switches the motor on to charge or save battery while in hybrid mode the description on the screen sounds basically the same thing
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4XE Drive Modes Analysis image
Sponsored