Sponsored

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
I just installed an RViBrake 3 unit, and am extremely pleased with it. One thing: I had to use the "Active" (rather than "Vacuum") braking setting, to avoid the unit pushing too hard on the brakes and locking up the wheels. The instruction video mentioned that "any hybrid needs the 'active' setting" (paraphrasing).

The unit fits like a glove, and since I also installed the wireless breakaway system, no holes in the floor or firewall needed (not that holes are a big deal).

I went with Maximus-3 Tow Loops, a Curt wiring harness, and RViBrake 3 with wireless breakaway. The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the breakaway and the wiring harness socket for a clean look.

View from the business end
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_2966.JPG

Breakaway
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_2968.JPG

Wiring harness socket (sorry about hole-saw wound)
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_2967.JPG

Wireless breakaway velcro'd to battery
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_2969.JPG

Hooked up and ready to go
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_2972.JPG

Anything special needed for braking while towing or will any supplemental braking systems that works for other wranglers work on the 4xe?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I appreciate the detailed reply. I just called Jeep and they said once the Jeep is off and in neutral only friction braking is in play. I ordered the complete NSA tow bar with surge brake and well as the same Maximus loops as you. Hopefully it all works ok

I just installed an iRVBrake 3 unit, and am extremely pleased with it. One thing: I had to use the "Active" (rather than "Vacuum") braking setting, to avoid the unit pushing too hard on the brakes and locking up the wheels. The instruction video mentioned that "any hybrid needs the 'active' setting" (paraphrasing).

The unit fits like a glove, and since I also installed the wireless breakaway system, no holes in the floor or firewall needed (not that holes are a big deal).

I went with Maximus-3 Tow Loops, a Curt wiring harness, and iRVBrake 3 with wireless breakaway. The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the breakaway and the wiring harness socket for a clean look.

View from the business end
IMG_2966.JPG

Breakaway
IMG_2968.JPG

Wiring harness socket (sorry about hole-saw wound)
IMG_2967.JPG

Wireless breakaway velcro'd to battery
IMG_2969.JPG

Hooked up and ready to go
IMG_2972.JPG

Last edited:

EMTNEST

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Any update on towing the 4xe. How has it worked and any concerns or issues?

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I flat towed my 4xe from AZ to NY and back. No issues other than the battery dying. (Engine start battery) this caused the jeep to go into limp mode once jump started. Once I cycled the engine start several times each while opening and closing the door to simulate entering, starting, stopping and exiting, it ran fine. Dealer had no idea why it would do that. So, my take away is to make sure the coach charges the battery in the jeep. mine didn't as we used an older style trailer wire to match the coach trailer plug. The Air Force one uses the jeeps battery to apply the brakes. I believe that is where the power loss came from. No issues towing otherwise. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, key is off. (JL columns do not lock) My tow vehicle is a 1993 Newell coach with a Detroit 8v92. The heat of the coach exhaust may have discolored the driver side white fender. I have painted fenders and hard top. Exhaust from coach points downward to road. I drove the coach hard and fast.
The yellow power cord in the bottom pic was used when parked overnight to charge the Jeep battery from the coaches on board 120v power.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_1283

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 4xe can be flat towed IMG_1735
Sponsored