Sponsored

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
One of the single most asked questions abut the 4xe has been about flat towing. We have confirmed through the Jeep Cares Team and through other inside sources that the Wrangler 4XE can indeed be flat towed.
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Just so we continue to need answers, could those people answer if it can charge/regen when braking behind the coach? mechanically, it isn't a problem, it's just a matter of software allowing it.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not to mention the fact that even if the driveshafts were connected and spinning, do you have any idea how difficult it would be for the coach to tow the Jeep while it is trying to regeneratively break all the time?

Just imagine trying to tow a vehicle that is trying to stop, throughout the entire trip... I don’t even wanna think about the intensely low fuel economy the coach will have, if it is even able to move the 4xe in the first place as the jeep is trying to regenerate power by breaking.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Not to mention the fact that even if the driveshafts were connected and spinning, do you have any idea how difficult it would be for the coach to tow the Jeep while it is trying to regeneratively break all the time?

Just imagine trying to tow a vehicle that is trying to stop, throughout the entire trip... I don’t even wanna think about the intensely low fuel economy the coach will have, if it is even able to move the 4xe in the first place as the jeep is trying to regenerate power by breaking.
It wouldn’t be trying to regen all the time. That’d be silly. Just whenever the brake lights come on.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It wouldn’t be trying to regen all the time. That’d be silly. Just whenever the brake lights come on.
That makes much more sense haha and if I was in the market for a 4xe, I would also be very curious about this as it may indeed be a really cool way to recharge the jeep and not work the RV breaks as hard.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
That would take software trickery that I don't think Jeep would go out of their way for. Regen happens when coasting, not just when braking. So they'd essentially have to write software that tells the Jeep to "only" regen when braking is applied. Otherwise it would regen the whole time (assuming the electric generator was engaged, which it isn't).

Biggest problem is you don't want to regen too much, overcharging would cause massive problems. It's why most EVs shut regen off when the battery is at 100%. So you'd have to write software that tells it to only regen until ~95% and then stop. Which also means the systems of the jeep are "awake" all the time while towing.

Anyway it's an interesting thing to think about. I know the Rivians CAN be tow charged (this was featured on the series Long Way Up where they used the pickups as support vehicles for an EV bike ride from Patagonia to Los Angeles - a great watch if you haven't seen it). You just don't want to tow charge too much or it'll wreck the car.

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
This is awesome and something I was really hoping for. It’s kind of funny though because I assume most are flat-towed behind RV’s, which get the worst mileage of anything normal people drive. Our diesel pusher averages 7.5 mpg flat-towing.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
That would take software trickery that I don't think Jeep would go out of their way for. Regen happens when coasting, not just when braking. So they'd essentially have to write software that tells the Jeep to "only" regen when braking is applied. Otherwise it would regen the whole time (assuming the electric generator was engaged, which it isn't).

Biggest problem is you don't want to regen too much, overcharging would cause massive problems. It's why most EVs shut regen off when the battery is at 100%. So you'd have to write software that tells it to only regen until ~95% and then stop. Which also means the systems of the jeep are "awake" all the time while towing.

Anyway it's an interesting thing to think about. I know the Rivians CAN be tow charged (this was featured on the series Long Way Up where they used the pickups as support vehicles for an EV bike ride from Patagonia to Los Angeles - a great watch if you haven't seen it). You just don't want to tow charge too much or it'll wreck the car.
Yeah, only likely to work as a hack. The jeep does need to be “on” when flat towing, because the steering is unlocked. Fairly certain that the vehicle already needs to recognize a flat-tow mode.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
Just so we continue to need answers, could those people answer if it can charge/regen when braking behind the coach? mechanically, it isn't a problem, it's just a matter of software allowing it.
That would add a lot of drag while towing. Any energy gained in the Jeep would cost more in fuel in the RV. Plus, it has to be in neutral to tow so that would keep anything from spinning to charge.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The regen when braking would be nice, but makes sense that the transfer case would need to be in neutral so that's out. I do wonder how long it will take campgrounds to start charging a fee for charging your 4xe at night while camping. Would be pretty easy to add a lever 2 charger in the electrical compartment.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
This is awesome and something I was really hoping for. It’s kind of funny though because I assume most are flat-towed behind RV’s, which get the worst mileage of anything normal people drive. Our diesel pusher averages 7.5 mpg flat-towing.
Wow. I always got 11 mpg towing my TJ in my 38' CAT 350 powered RV. But I did watch rpms and kept it at 65mph just as it shifted into high gear. That was before DEF though.

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
Wow. I always got 11 mpg towing my TJ in my 38' CAT 350 powered RV. But I did watch rpms and kept it at 65mph just as it shifted into high gear. That was before DEF though.
Well, I should note that we’re running the generator most of that time too. Kind of forget about the whole other engine running too.

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Anything special needed for braking while towing or will any supplemental braking systems that works for other wranglers work on the 4xe?
Sponsored