First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
392 has 14-inch rotors compared with the 13.4-inch rotors on the standard Rubicon.
Due to the weight distribution and extra weight then. Otherwise they might have increased towing capacity.

And to the guy who said it’s not a factor, wheelbase is a factor in my towing experience. Short wheelbase towing vehicles are “twitchy” to say the least when towing, especially near the limit.

I still wouldn’t.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have a 392 and everywhere I look it says the tow capacity is the same as the regular Rubicon Unlimited, 3500 pounds.

I have a 20 foot Geo Pro G19BH Travel Trailer I would like to tow with the Jeep on occasion, The trailer weighs 3,178 lbs dry.

We would likely be over 3,500 pounds with the trailer loaded and over the max tongue weight of 350 lbs at 411 lbs.

I do have a weight distribution hitch if that matters. Also there will be 2 adults and 3 children ranging from 3-7 in the backseat. We do have a trailer brake controller as well. No additional lift on the 392 but I am running 35's.

I used to tow my boat with my lifted TJ all the time when I was younger and never even thought about weight, looking back I was way over on the towing capacity and hitch weight.

I was hoping the 392 would have the listed tow rates higher. Does anyone have any opinions if the setup I describe above would be OK to do? Would it be unsafe? Would it damage the Jeep? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
A regular Rubicon tow capacity is 5500 lbs overseas...use that information as you see fit.
https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/2019-jeep-wrangler-tow-test-121566/

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
The main limitation of the tow capacity with the Wrangler is the short wheel base. That is why with the same or smaller engine than yours, the Gladiator has double the capacity. It would be risky to tow over the capacity, but it's all good until it isn't!
This simply isn't true for a JLU. The wheelbase is greater than a Grand Cherokee, slightly less than a Durango, and both a rated for 6200lbs minumum tow capacity. Add to that the much shorter rear overhang on a JLU (ie less leverage of the trailer on the tow vehicle).

Pete

Sponsored

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
I have a 392 and everywhere I look it says the tow capacity is the same as the regular Rubicon Unlimited, 3500 pounds.

I have a 20 foot Geo Pro G19BH Travel Trailer I would like to tow with the Jeep on occasion, The trailer weighs 3,178 lbs dry.

We would likely be over 3,500 pounds with the trailer loaded and over the max tongue weight of 350 lbs at 411 lbs.

I do have a weight distribution hitch if that matters. Also there will be 2 adults and 3 children ranging from 3-7 in the backseat. We do have a trailer brake controller as well. No additional lift on the 392 but I am running 35's.

I used to tow my boat with my lifted TJ all the time when I was younger and never even thought about weight, looking back I was way over on the towing capacity and hitch weight.

I was hoping the 392 would have the listed tow rates higher. Does anyone have any opinions if the setup I describe above would be OK to do? Would it be unsafe? Would it damage the Jeep? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Ive been towing since I got it….
Trailer is a 2017 Jayco Hummingbird 17fd Baja Edition…
Trailer is approximately 2,800lbs dry weight, no brake control anymore because it doesn’t need it, no sway control or weight distribution hitch….
2020 JLRU…
AEV 2.5” lift kit…
I have 37s and no gear change just AEV ProCal….
2.0L turbo 4 cylinder….
Fully armored with bumpers, rock rails, Hard top, ARB roof rack, 12K winch….
No issues.
Your 392 with 8 cylinders has 2 times my 4 cylinders.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
What is the kid doing behind the ladies in the first pic (Yellow Jeep), lol?
Wondering what the hell is wrong with his sister and all her friends, like most boys with older sisters, probably.
Steering wheel on the other side ups the towing capacity

1622576709708.png
Nah, it's the fact that they use petrol instead of gasoline... :)

Probably my favorite Simpsons episode...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The GC is heavier. That helps relative to the weight you’re towing.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Just another reminder. the Total weight supported by the 392 Rubicon is 6100lbs. This includes the 5103lbs of the jeep. (as it was stock)

This leaves you with 997lbs for you, your passengers, anything in the jeep, AND the tongue weight.

Any mods you do that add weight will be subtracted from that 997lbs of capacity.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Unpopular opinion it seems, but I think you will be fine.
With my '20 JLUR I tow 4k lbs regularly and for long distances on freeways with no problem.
392 has larger brakes, better cooling, stronger axles, more horsepower, more torque, stronger transmission, stronger frame, and a few other little things when compared to regular Rubicons.
The never to be released 2 door Bronco has a tow capacity of 3,500lbs...

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I tow with a 3.6 and a slightly smaller trailer and personally I think the JLUR makes a pretty good tow rig. Mine is 2558 lbs. dry, and I did move some stuff around to take some weight of the tongue.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass 39AE6FDF-02A3-4DC3-9039-14BAD6C5E9C9
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass AAE76E58-E3C9-4FD7-9E36-4E9B0689241E

I think if you try hard to keep it light and don’t fill your water tank until close to destination, you’ll be fine. Take my opinion for what’s it worth, we all have em.

When the trailer becomes heavier than the tow vehicle everything changes.

40 years driving triple trailers in Oregon gives me some street cred on the subject.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This simply isn't true for a JLU. The wheelbase is greater than a Grand Cherokee, slightly less than a Durango, and both a rated for 6200lbs minumum tow capacity. Add to that the much shorter rear overhang on a JLU (ie less leverage of the trailer on the tow vehicle).

Pete
Grand Cherokee/Durango are much sturdier tow vehicles with higher GVWR, GAWR and GCWR.

Even at 6,200 lbs, the 3.6 is still restricted to 40 sq-ft frontal area.

And remember J2807 max tow ratings only include 10% tongue weight, 300 lbs of passengers and 70 lbs for WDH. Adding passenger weight or tongue weight over 10% reduces overall towing capacity.

OP
OP
cook03tj

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'42 GPW; '21 Rubicon 392 (Sold: '85 XJ; '03 TJ)
Sounds like the OP's Suburban is worth keeping if you ask me.
Definitely keeping the Suburban, just want to also be able to take the Jeep to fun places.
Sponsored