Sponsored

Wrangler 2-door 2-seater option

Which 2 Door Wrangler option would you order

• Delete rear seat: Save money and garage space (2 person + big pet option)

• Keep rear seat: Pay extra just in case (3-4 person + medium pet option)

• Might as well delete the passenger seat too: So I can sleep inside solo (1 person + pet option)

• None of the above: I only buy 4 doors because I didn't keep scrolling and I load it up...

• Optional extra response: I am offended because you called the 4-door a Wagon!

• Optional extra response: I am offended because you referred to the 2-door as the Limited!

• Optional extra response: I am glad you called it a 'wagon'

• Optional extra response: I am cool with calling it 'the Limited'

• OR Join Campaign to have Jeep add a 50/50 rear split-seat option: So I can remove one or both sides!

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
MattT69

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it could or should be an option. Just saying it would not save us any money but would be an extra up-charge.

What would be good is if the floor fittings were still installed on the JL floor either way. That way JL owners with a back seat who don't need it can sell to JL owners without the back seat who need one.
Agreed, plus it would be too costly for Jeep to change any other part of the manufacturing when the seat is not optioned. All the wranglers would still have seat belts and the body would still have the u bolts on the floor. The same way the main dash does not change with different audio options. I know they have inserts and stuff but the main dash is standardized. Like in my 2 door I see covers in place of the rear power doors but the holes are still there or like with no A/C the vent holes in the dash are still there.
Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
My kids are all growed up and moved out, so I was completely set on getting another 2d Wrangler. I also took the back seat out pretty quickly after bringing it home.

But, once I took the top and doors off, friends started wanting a ride in it. So, I put the seat back in, took them for a ride, then removed it, again. That scenario has played out several times.

I still prefer the rear seat out. But, I am glad I have it!

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I've only owned 2 door Wranglers ('88 YJ, '95 YJ, '06 TJ, '09 JK, '12 JK, '19 JL) and I use the rear seats quite often so I would keep it even if there was an up-charge for it.

Yes, it can be a little more difficult to get into the back seat of a 2 door Wrangler, but once back there, it's surprisingly comfortable. It's actually more comfortable than the rear seats on 4 door because the seat back on the 2 door is tilted back more than the 4 door rear seat which is more upright.

I've had 2, 250+ lb, 6' 6" co-workers in the back of both my JK's and my JL and they both said the rear seats and rear seat room was surprisingly good.

OP
OP
MattT69

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So If I were the 2 door Jeep Wrangler Product Line Manager, I might set it up like this for 2 door product line in the future:
1) Chassis: add 2 U-hooks in the center floor to accommodate up to 2 single rear seats by using all four hooks, or a standard bench as we have now by using only the outside hooks.
2) Have the Industrial Design Dept. create a comfortable foldable single seat with raisable arms on both sides to allow mounting as a single or double rear seat(s) using appropriate floor hooks.
3) Still provide the same rear seat mounting option we have now
The 2 door product line adjustments would mean customers could buy any of the below standard options (model levels):
Sub-base 3: One front seat and no rears
Sub-base 2: Two front seats and no rear(s)
Sub-base 1: Two front seats and one rear single seat which can be mounted on either side of the vehicle
Base Model: Two front seats and bench rear as we have now
Option +: Two front seats and 2 rears mounted onto the 4 floor hooks.
Option ++: Any option above adding large (i.e. the whole back) removable sealed cargo compartment with movable interior compartments pre-installed and Hi-Lift jack unobtrusive mounts
Jeep, you're welcome.
i LIKE IT!!! you guys are thinking outside the box and pushing the 2 door product line forward with even more options... I guess I was afraid that Jeep might be fazing out the 2 door and I didn't think Stellantis would spend more money on the OG line which sells less than its big money making SUV lines. :)

OP
OP
MattT69

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATED POLL:

Added a 'Join Campaign' response because 2 door Jeep owner responses are awesome!!
Voting is open and you can change your vote... CHEERS :)

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
I would absolutely have ordered it without a back seat! It's just the wife and I and our German Shepherd. I don't have any circumstance in which a third person will be riding. As is it will come out on day one, and I will have to store it in the garage at work because I don't have a garage at home. Only sheds, and I don't trust storing it in either of them long term due to pests.

That said, I realize I am the extreme minority that can guarantee that I will never have a passenger riding in the back.

OP
OP
MattT69

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would absolutely have ordered it without a back seat! It's just the wife and I and our German Shepherd. I don't have any circumstance in which a third person will be riding. As is it will come out on day one, and I will have to store it in the garage at work because I don't have a garage at home. Only sheds, and I don't trust storing it in either of them long term due to pests.

That said, I realize I am the extreme minority that can guarantee that I will never have a passenger riding in the back.
Looks like You are in the majority here... so far 46% of responders would choose the rear seat delete option and 38% would choose to pay extra to keep it just in case.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Mine came out right after I got the Jeep home. Wife, dog and I. No need for a rear seat whatever. Mine is used as runabout, toad, and “explorer” to go places I can’t get to otherwise. Back when rears were an option. Probably still should be.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Split rear in the 2D would be perfect for my needs but I won’t be trading mine.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
So If I were the 2 door Jeep Wrangler Product Line Manager, I might set it up like this for 2 door product line in the future:
1) Chassis: add 2 U-hooks in the center floor to accommodate up to 2 single rear seats by using all four hooks, or a standard bench as we have now by using only the outside hooks.
2) Have the Industrial Design Dept. create a comfortable foldable single seat with raisable arms on both sides to allow mounting as a single or double rear seat(s) using appropriate floor hooks.
3) Still provide the same rear seat mounting option we have now
The 2 door product line adjustments would mean customers could buy any of the below standard options (model levels):
Sub-base 3: One front seat and no rears
Sub-base 2: Two front seats and no rear(s)
Sub-base 1: Two front seats and one rear single seat which can be mounted on either side of the vehicle
Base Model: Two front seats and bench rear as we have now
Option +: Two front seats and 2 rears mounted onto the 4 floor hooks.
Option ++: Any option above adding large (i.e. the whole back) removable sealed cargo compartment with movable interior compartments pre-installed and Hi-Lift jack unobtrusive mounts
Jeep, you're welcome.
Nice! make sure to mention the foldable single rear seats should flip when folded like the rear bench. Good call on the raiseable arm rests.
If they made the rear seat belts modular (the probably do) then they could sell some of those sub-base options without seatbelts where there were now seats, but you could still buy the seatbelt and plug it in there if you got the seat.
Some folks (maybe me) would buy both a rear bench and one single rear seat. I like the rear bench a lot if two might be sit back there.

Should be mentioned Jeep made a rear single seat in the past. It was called the CJ/YJ rear double bench seat--ha! :)

Sponsored

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
No rear seat would mean... no rear seat belts... would mean...open bed from factory... so basically a really small gladiator 2 door. 🤔 Yep, no point. Just make a Gladiator 2 door.
Now your talking!!!
As some on this forum already know.... don't get me started on talking about my dream vehicle... a two door Gladiator built on the 4 door chassis with a small (4' or so) bed so the breakover and departure angles are no worse than a 4 door. Add in the XR package and Rubicon bits, and yup.... my dream truck!

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Now your talking!!!
As some on this forum already know.... don't get me started on talking about my dream vehicle... a two door Gladiator built on the 4 door chassis with a small (4' or so) bed so the breakover and departure angles are no worse than a 4 door. Add in the XR package and Rubicon bits, and yup.... my dream truck!
very cool idea, but also a straightforward aftermarket opportunity for BestTop or someone who can make a quality hard top. An aftermarket hardtop that encloses the front seats of a 2door JL, made to work with a pickup bed cover like the Diablo(?) or other JL two door covers already out there. That would give you a cool short wheelbase Gladiator mini with exposed rollbar. Use it open bed or with a bed-cover.

Further idea: make it work with the existing Freedom panels so that it's really only designing and selling a back stop for the freedom panels that has a weathertight connection to the tub floor right at the top of the rear footwell. Make the backstop in two pieces, divided horizontally at the tub rail level.

That would result in a pickup style hard-top that comes off in three pieces, all of them small enough to be easily handled by one person out on the road or trail.

You could go topless out on the trail just by removing the freedom panels and upper backstop/back window section. Put them in the back under a bed cover (like Diablo) or just in their own bag. If weather requires, the three handy pieces could go back in place in a couple minutes and it's a pickup again.

Big challenge for someone marketing this would be the small proportion of 2door JLs sold. Limits your volume potential and results in higher unit cost and makes it less attractive to make. I'd get one ;-)

So make the backstop also fit at the back of the JLU 4door back seat too, but for that you'd need an extra piece that goes from the backstop over the rear seat area to mate with the freedom top pieces. Maybe you'd just have to make two backstop versions including this 4door version that reaches forward to the Freedom panels. Anyway, the goal would be to make 4door JLU owners happy too, and to increase unit volume by tapping that greater market. I think JLU drivers would love the idea of being able to go back and forth between bobbed-Gladiator style/function and regular Unlimited style/function.

Last edited:

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
We sometimes keep the rear seat in, and sometimes pull it...depends on the use.

It's nice to have options if you have somewhere to stick it when not in use.

I checked "join campaign for split seat"....would be nice to have THAT option......dont always need the WHOLE back....just half....and that would allow a 3rd person as well....

That all said, too late for us, we already own ours....so the campaign (for us) would be pointless.

I *WOULD* like to start a campaign that asks for them to address how the back seat is "loose" when in the folded position....we have our front seats all the way back and the rear seat will slam down if I launch from a stop too hard.......un-nerving and dangerous if you have eggs or a pizza in the cargo area and the seat up....LOL

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2 door seats 4 very comfortably as there is plenty of space on the rear bench for 2 people.
I think that "very comfortably" is a relative sort of thing....subjective, not "mother in law"....LOL

My son is 6 feet tall and can sit in the back seat but not much extra room beside him (long legs).

I am 6'3" or so and 275 lbs.....the back seat is torture to me....leg/foot room mostly. As I recall headroom was marginal....(I have been in the back seat exactly two times in the year or so we have had it...LOL)

Getting into and out of the back seat is also easier for the 20-something son , but for me and my wife at more than 5 decades old, not fun IMHO.

We bought the 2dr specifically because it wasn't a 4 door....we had always onwed a 4 door car due to having kids for years.......no longer a need to drive a vehicle with doors...extra weight (albeit not that much), longer wheelbase (albeit not THAT much) etc etc etc.

I still have a 4 door crew cab pickup so when the kids or older relatives need to be in the vehicle we are covered.

I would never make my 70+ year old father in law crawl into the back seat of the 2 Dr JL....LOL......though if you hate you in-laws maybe its an option....LOL

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had 2, 250+ lb, 6' 6" co-workers in the back of both my JK's and my JL and they both said the rear seats and rear seat room was surprisingly good.
As a 6'3 275 lb old guy, I will guess one or more of the following:

-your 2 6'6" co-workers were 20 or 30-somethings who can still bend like pretzels.
-they aren't really 6'6 (my 6' tall son, skinny as a rail) has long legs and he barely has leg room
-your front seats are not all the way back or even close , which is needed for me.
-your back seat footwells are not filled with tow ropes, folding shovels, and other trail stuff (there is not enough storage in the two door for this stuff...we have the subwoofer in our 80th anniversary so there isnt even that small space available...but we love the sub...LOL)
-your co-workers are being polite and thankful for the ride when they answer "I am fine" when you ask "are you guys comfortable but are silently thinking "Mary, Mother of God, please let this ride end soon so I can get my knees out of my spleen!!!"

I say all this tongue in cheek of course. :)

The rear seating is OK, but that depends on the position of the front seat(s) and the age, weight , girth, height, flexibility and age of the folks riding in the rear seat IMHO.

As with everything "YMMV".
Sponsored