First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Thanks! Yeah they set it to 40. The ride is way smoother than my Jku tho. I lowered down today.
What did you lower it to?
I noticed mine were at 40 today also. My Sport S rode well at 35, but I’m curious to hear what you set yours to.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
What did you lower it to?
I noticed mine were at 40 today also. My Sport S rode well at 35, but I’m curious to hear what you set yours to.
I set mine to 38 because the temperature was supposed to drop this week. They are now 36/37 cold. My JKU was really sensitive. I knew by feel 35 vs 40. At 40 the JKU tracked every groove. This so far I cant tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove to the office today which is a 50 mile drive mostly highway except for the end. I have mixed feelings. I tried hybrid the whole drive and it was ok. Sure it did what I want, 25 miles electric, 25 gas. The electric motor easily handled the hills. ICE only kicked in a handful of times even at 65+ up hill. Around a third of the way, I get on the turnpike which is always full of tractor trailers. That's where I need passing power. I just wish the programming was tweaked so that in hybrid mode it would favor the ICE over electric for highway speeds. There were a couple instances where I wanted to pass and the ICE was not on. It still can pass at 75 in electric but more of an effort than the ICE. Once the battery was depleted tho it was great. The ICE easily had extra power when I wanted it. Maybe I'll experiment with switching to esave for the turnpike part and back to hybrid when I get off.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I drove to the office today which is a 50 mile drive mostly highway except for the end. I have mixed feelings. I tried hybrid the whole drive and it was ok. Sure it did what I want, 25 miles electric, 25 gas. The electric motor easily handled the hills. ICE only kicked in a handful of times even at 65+ up hill. Around a third of the way, I get on the turnpike which is always full of tractor trailers. That's where I need passing power. I just wish the programming was tweaked so that in hybrid mode it would favor the ICE over electric. There were a couple instances where I wanted to pass and the ICE was not on. It still can pass at 75 in electric but more of an effort than the ICE. Once the battery was depleted tho it was great. The ICE easily had extra power when I wanted it. Maybe I'll experiment with switching to esave for the turnpike part and back to hybrid when I get off.
It may be related to the 35s, but our Hybrid mode appears to be "learning". The actual hybrid ICE+Electric is used more frequently under lighter load and it takes more to turn the ICE off as we've put more miles on.

This has resulted in better hybrid MPG (we're at 22 mpg for the first 1800 miles, 35s on since 100), and we've still been full electric about a third of the time. We've taken multiple road trips to the Smokeys during this time.

I leave it in hybrid + max regen most of the time, and use e-save maintain when I'd like to have some full electric left for city driving. I tried e-save charge on the first leg of our first road trip and it tanks the mpg so bad I don't think it's anywhere near worth it.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It may be related to the 35s, but our Hybrid mode appears to be "learning". The actual hybrid ICE+Electric is used more frequently under lighter load and it takes more to turn the ICE off as we've put more miles on.

This has resulted in better hybrid MPG (we're at 22 mpg for the first 1800 miles, 35s on since 100), and we've still been full electric about a third of the time. We've taken multiple road trips to the Smokeys during this time.

I leave it in hybrid + max regen most of the time, and use e-save maintain when I'd like to have some full electric left for city driving. I tried e-save charge on the first leg of our first road trip and it tanks the mpg so bad I don't think it's anywhere near worth it.
Wow 22 on 35s? Not bad at all! I just filled up at half a tank. Hand calculated I’m at 21 mpg. That may force me to start searching for 33s.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Wow 22 on 35s? Not bad at all! I just filled up at half a tank. Hand calculated I’m at 21 mpg. That may force me to start searching for 33s.
That's using the "hybrid" mile counter, or odometer? The dash mpg calculation appears to only count when the ICE is actually on.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's using the "hybrid" mile counter, or odometer? The dash mpg calculation appears to only count when the ICE is actually on.
Hybrid mile counter. I was wondering about that, the dash mpg says 22.8. I have been ignoring it because I assumed it was including electric. But with 1/3 of my total miles electric I guess “mpge” would be a lot higher.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hybrid mile counter. I was wondering about that, the dash mpg says 22.8. I have been ignoring it because I assumed it was including electric. But with 1/3 of my total miles electric I guess “mpge” would be a lot higher.
Yeah, and, even at <1%, the ICE turns off on downhill coasts and during regen and doesn't count toward mpg. Because of that, I feel like the displayed hybrid mpg is falsely lower than a comparable ICE vehicle doing the same drive.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, and, even at <1%, the ICE turns off on downhill coasts and during regen and doesn't count toward mpg. Because of that, I feel like the displayed hybrid mpg is falsely lower than a comparable ICE vehicle doing the same drive.
You’d think Jeep would try and milk those miles for better results.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
4 weeks and 1300 miles in. first time jeep owners and didnt know if we would like the handling. the 4xe handles and drives very well (80-85 mph). Much better than the new sahara and rubi that we test drove. Think its the wider tires and battery weight. Took the top off this week and we went star gazing at an old overlook 'makeout' spot - in our 50's so that was fun. What a great way to to have fun! Night time without the top is really an overlooked highlight of owner fun. tracking energy cost directly (recording gas, cost, miles) and recording charging energy. Installing a level 2 and an energy monitoring system to measure document all charging cost. Wife said yesterday she will drive this jeep until she's too old to climb in anymore!

Sponsored

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 weeks and 1300 miles in. first time jeep owners and didnt know if we would like the handling. the 4xe handles and drives very well (80-85 mph). Much better than the new sahara and rubi that we test drove. Think its the wider tires and battery weight. Took the top off this week and we went star gazing at an old overlook 'makeout' spot - in our 50's so that was fun. What a great way to to have fun! Night time without the top is really an overlooked highlight of owner fun. tracking energy cost directly (recording gas, cost, miles) and recording charging energy. Installing a level 2 and an energy monitoring system to measure document all charging cost. Wife said yesterday she will drive this jeep until she's too old to climb in anymore!
Glad you guys are enjoying! Anytime the top is down fun! I definitely agree the handling is a big surprise. I loved the old truck feel of my JKU but it gets old when you just want to get from A to B.

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
I drove to the office today which is a 50 mile drive mostly highway except for the end. I have mixed feelings. I tried hybrid the whole drive and it was ok. Sure it did what I want, 25 miles electric, 25 gas. The electric motor easily handled the hills. ICE only kicked in a handful of times even at 65+ up hill. Around a third of the way, I get on the turnpike which is always full of tractor trailers. That's where I need passing power. I just wish the programming was tweaked so that in hybrid mode it would favor the ICE over electric for highway speeds. There were a couple instances where I wanted to pass and the ICE was not on. It still can pass at 75 in electric but more of an effort than the ICE. Once the battery was depleted tho it was great. The ICE easily had extra power when I wanted it. Maybe I'll experiment with switching to esave for the turnpike part and back to hybrid when I get off.
Give this a read, long, but you’ll get the idea pretty quick.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ybrid-mode-to-maximize-mpg-of-jeep-4xe.74144/

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha oh no not that thread again! OP, I may be biased, but you can save yourself a lot of time if you jump to my post on the last page. 😋
I did read through it before I had my 4xe. I think the thing there is that it’s not trying to maintain a charge? So it’s running the ICE and using the electric to boost without a trickle going back into the battery.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I did read through it before I had my 4xe. I think the thing there is that it’s not trying to maintain a charge? So it’s running the ICE and using the electric to boost without a trickle going back into the battery.
Yeah I think its something like that. It definitely causes the hybrid system to use the electricity in a different manner that can be helpful for some driving situations. That's all good. I was just trying to get out in front of the the silliness with the Jeep's MPG calculation that was throwing people off thinking it was somehow using significantly less gas.
Sponsored