OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Public charging is getting better, also many 3rd parties are beginning to upgrade their networks for faster charging beyond 50kw. If you have home charging capability and use it as a commuter there's no worry there about the public system.

IMO public charging would be a challenge for road trips for non Tesla EVs. its a mess I would rather not deal w/ until it improves.
Exactly! We have a civic as our commuter and had a JKU as our typical suv, family hauler, road trip and vacation vehicle. Our 4xe is filing parts of those roles pretty good. I can easily see replacing the civic in the future with an EV. But I don't know going full electric would be smart with the 4xe. We do trips to the OBX which is about 500 miles. I wouldn't drive an EV there if I'd have to stop every 200 miles and charge for atleast an hour. That could turn an 8 hour trip into 10 best case.
Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Public charging is getting better, also many 3rd parties are beginning to upgrade their networks for faster charging beyond 50kw. If you have home charging capability and use it as a commuter there's no worry there about the public system.

IMO public charging would be a challenge for road trips for non Tesla EVs. its a mess I would rather not deal w/ until it improves.
Exactly! We have a civic as our commuter and had a JKU as our typical suv, family hauler, road trip and vacation vehicle. Our 4xe is filing parts of those roles pretty good. I can easily see replacing the civic in the future with an EV. But I don't know going full electric would be smart with the 4xe. We do trips to the OBX which is about 500 miles. I wouldn't drive an EV there if I'd have to stop every 200 miles and charge for atleast an hour. That could turn an 8 hour trip into 10 best case.
Yes, this is precisely why, as much as I love EVs and am 100000% ready for our quieter, lower maintenance, torque-ier EV future, I am not YET personally ready to shift to a BEV. I take ~6 long trips every year (including several to the OBX). With a 200-250mi range, I could do almost all those trips one way without charging, but there's limited or no infrastructure at the other end to recharge to use the vehicle while there or to recharge for the return trip.

I do think that situation will improve in the next 5-7 years with newer, denser battery tech that extends range, plus a wider adoption of 350kW DC fast charging along with the smarter charge controllers in the battery pack that allow pretty rapid recharging of even large 200-250kWh battery packs (eg, the 200kWh Ultium battery in the Hummer will be able to charge at 350kW and GM says it doesn't suffer capacity loss from DC fast charging).

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
That's using the "hybrid" mile counter, or odometer? The dash mpg calculation appears to only count when the ICE is actually on.
Circling back to this because I havent found an answer either way. Is the MPG display calculating using hybrid miles or Total miles? I went about 2 weeks without using gas and my mpg number went up. So I can only think its using total miles.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Had my 4XE for 5 days now. 400 miles. Drive home from Gupton (3hours) was great. No issues whatsoever. On the 2nd day of ownership I did pull up to a stop sign and the Jeep started flashing signals, the D for Drive was flashing and the car would not go. I turned it off and it immediately turned back on and ran without an issue. Has not happened again since then. Hopefully was just a fluke, certainly don't need that happening in a more serious situation.
I will not be happy if my Rubicon doesnā€™t ā€œgoā€ at 400 miles. WTF.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
Out of respect for the original poster I do not wish to derail the thread. I will say it has not done it again and has been running smoothly since. If it did it again I would just take to shop. No intentions of getting rid of it. Thanks for the concerns.

Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
we learned real quick that the 4xe is unforgiving if you dont fully shut a door, but that doesnt sound like it since it restarted. we had a hiccup where the 4xe would not start. FOB locked/unlocked, got the press on brake on the dash, and then nothing. Was about to call for a tow after 20 min and put my key in the 'slot' by cup holders and happened to press the button twice in succession. It started. Have no idea but scary. I dont think it was a 4xe thing though, dealer though the car 'lost' the key. He said to hold key right next to the button to 'realign'. But we love this thing.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Had my 4XE for 5 days now. 400 miles. Drive home from Gupton (3hours) was great. No issues whatsoever. On the 2nd day of ownership I did pull up to a stop sign and the Jeep started flashing signals, the D for Drive was flashing and the car would not go. I turned it off and it immediately turned back on and ran without an issue. Has not happened again since then. Hopefully was just a fluke, certainly don't need that happening in a more serious situation.
@JeepCares , you see this?
I do see this, IdahoJOAT.

If your concerns arise again, Litfury, please feel free to send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we learned real quick that the 4xe is unforgiving if you dont fully shut a door, but that doesnt sound like it since it restarted. we had a hiccup where the 4xe would not start. FOB locked/unlocked, got the press on brake on the dash, and then nothing. Was about to call for a tow after 20 min and put my key in the 'slot' by cup holders and happened to press the button twice in succession. It started. Have no idea but scary. I dont think it was a 4xe thing though, dealer though the car 'lost' the key. He said to hold key right next to the button to 'realign'. But we love this thing.
Thanks for the info!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for the info!
It does sound a little like Autopark, which would make sense if it thought the door was open and your foot was taken off the brake. I thought having your seatbelt buckled is supposed to suppress it, though.

Next time you drive, try opening the door and letting off the brake and see if the same thing happens.

Edit, here's the section from the owners manual. Note, if you're over 1.2 mph it "autoparks" to neutral then Autoparks when it's under 1.2.

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits
the vehicle with the engine running, the vehicle
may AutoPark.
AutoPark will engage when all of these
conditions are met:
ļ¬ Vehicle is equipped with an eight-speed
transmission
ļ¬ Driverā€™s door is ajar or if the driverā€™s door is
removed and the driver is not on the seat
(seat pad sensor detects driver missing)
ļ¬ Vehicle is not in PARK
ļ¬ Driverā€™s door is removed
ļ¬ Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less
ļ¬ Driverā€™s seat belt is unbuckled
ļ¬ Brake pedal is not pressed
The message ā€œAutoPark Engaged Shift to P then
Shift to Gearā€ will display in the instrument
cluster.

WARNING!
If vehicle speed is above 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h),
the transmission will default to NEUTRAL until
the vehicle speed drops below 1.2 mph
(1.9 km/h). A vehicle left in the NEUTRAL
position can roll. As an added precaution,
always apply the parking brake when exiting
the vehicle.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This AutoPark thing very well could have been the culprit. Because it did not give me any of the electrical warning screens I have seen on some of the other threads. Thanks again for the advice.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
This AutoPark thing very well could have been the culprit. Because it did not give me any of the electrical warning screens I have seen on some of the other threads. Thanks again for the advice.
The first time my Ram did it, it threw me for a loop. I was backing my boat down in the water, and on the Ram it automatically sets the electronic parking brake and actually rotates the shifter position to park over like 5 seconds.
Sponsored