Sponsored

Wow - new 4xe first impressions

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Wow! Just wow! We picked up our 4xe last night. Had a 50 mile back road trip home. I took the long way to get a decent break in. My first impressions were great just in e save! I was light on the gas but still was amazed. MPGs hit 18 before I switched to electric. Then drove it in e mode around the neighborhood and that was amazing too! For background I’ve been driving a Jk or Jku for the last 5 years. Now maybe it was the street tires. But acceleration was effortless. In the jku I felt like it took forever to get to 40 unless I hammered it. I was always correcting the steering as well. Tire pressure is high but within range. I will adjust in the next few days. The Jku on the same pressure would be following all of the grooves. I’m almost too scared that it’s too cuv like compared to the Jku lol. Looking forward to getting out of the breakin period and really driving it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wow - new 4xe first impressions B8C14C34-A482-49E2-B528-A22AC485450C
Sponsored

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
Your observation on the JKU's acceleration (or lack thereof) is accurate. We have a HIKEit in our '15 for just that reason. The 4xe adds more goodies onto the already much improved JL model. Enjoy it!

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your observation on the JKU's acceleration (or lack thereof) is accurate. We have a HIKEit in our '15 for just that reason. The 4xe adds more goodies onto the already much improved JL model. Enjoy it!
Yep. I was looking at a Hikeit and competitors. There was so many options I held off because I couldnt make up my mind. My '12 had the unlocked ecu. I had a tune for it and that helped. My '16 was locked and I didnt want to mess with replacing the ecu.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice!
The 4xE is an interesting combination, the noisiest 2.0t gas engine I've ever experienced combined with basically silent electric drive. What a dichotomy! I'd be interested to see if it still does the decel click the 2.0t does or if it's mitigated with the electric drive.
There is a slight hum I heard when backing up in electric with the windows down. Got louder in my garage of course. I know its there to warn pedestrians but Im not a huge fan. I wonder if in the future we can pick a different sound... The wife was with me last night on the way home so we had the music on of course. I would have loved to just listen to everything, getting a feel to how it drives. I have only drove a JL with the 3.6, never the 2.0t before. When does it click on decel? Mine shuts the engine off after a second or 2 of decel. Does that happen on the regular 2.0 and is that when you'd hear a click?

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
There is a slight hum I heard when backing up in electric with the windows down. Got louder in my garage of course. I know its there to warn pedestrians but Im not a huge fan. I wonder if in the future we can pick a different sound... The wife was with me last night on the way home so we had the music on of course. I would have loved to just listen to everything, getting a feel to how it drives. I have only drove a JL with the 3.6, never the 2.0t before. When does it click on decel? Mine shuts the engine off after a second or 2 of decel. Does that happen on the regular 2.0 and is that when you'd hear a click?
The frequency range and volume of the noise is actually mandated in the safety regulations. Looks like there are some small tweaks that could stay within range, but it's pretty specific.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m still amazed. I have over 100 miles on the ICE and it’s fun seeing how the machine handles certain conditions. I charged it for the first time last night. The level 2 estimate was spot on from 50%. Took 1hr 10 mins. I ran it this morning in esave and it used electric until 94%. I drove some more and tried max regen in town. Was able to get back to 95% in just 5 minutes. I’m back in the office tomorrow which is 50 miles of highway driving. I’ve been following the breakin guide to the t. The manual states varying the rpms as much as possible through 300 miles. So I’m still not sure about taking it. Luckily my wife loves more than I do and is happy to drive it on her 0.5 mile commute.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice!
The 4xE is an interesting combination, the noisiest 2.0t gas engine I've ever experienced combined with basically silent electric drive. What a dichotomy! I'd be interested to see if it still does the decel click the 2.0t does or if it's mitigated with the electric drive.
It is one loud engine. I wonder what the hood insulation is even doing. I didnt have the insulation in my JKU. I think the old pentastar approached that noise level in the cabin only around 3,000 rpms without insulation and my drain plugs pulled.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It is one loud engine. I wonder what the hood insulation is even doing. I didnt have the insulation in my JKU. I think the old pentastar approached that noise level in the cabin only around 3,000 rpms without insulation and my drain plugs pulled.
I don’t even notice the ICE compared to the crazy loud AC compressor.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this is an important key that most don't get. See how it reacts instead of expecting it to react a certain way.
Exactly! I was guilty of this with my first JK. I jumped in right away with lifts and tires. I got a great lift but was always chasing another part to fix an issue the last part caused. With my JKU and now 4xe im way more purposeful. Sure I want these street tires off and 17s but I want to learn the 4xe first.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t even notice the ICE compared to the crazy loud AC compressor.
Yep! I turned the defroster on, heard it and immediately looked at the rpms. they were at zero still.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So part of the reason I created this thread was to get a positive review out there. You go to the 4xeforum and theres nothing but bad. Some are legit, some I suspect are trolls though. They log on, write I had a terrible "x" experience and bail. Some of course are legit with a new vehicle, but others I have my doubts. But any way they got to me lol. I found bolt on my driveway and panicked. It was the same color as the others underneath. I crawled under the jeep and searched around for an open hole. I called my salesman, debating in my head do I trust Jeep or do I go to an offroad shop. Anyway he laughed, said it was probably a license plate bolt and sent me a picture. Was exactly it. I should have known. I found the other one a short distance away. He had switched them out for two stainless and put them in the storage bag. I unwrapped everything this morning and they must have fallen out :facepalm: on my way to the trash.

Zombienation

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara stingray
Love my 4xe! Be sure to check your tire pressure as most people have found it is way over inflated and the ride quality is much better when in spec. Also try it in 4H auto with the ice engine on and floor it! Congrats on the ride!

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Glad you’re having a good time! I purchased mine last week and it was delivered n Monday. So far I’ve only driven around town, and only used electric mode, but so far so good. I’m really liking the feel of it. It’s fun to not use any gas, lol.

This is my 5th Wrangler and my first Rubicon. It’s by far the nicest Jeep I’ve owned.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love my 4xe! Be sure to check your tire pressure as most people have found it is way over inflated and the ride quality is much better when in spec. Also try it in 4H auto with the ice engine on and floor it! Congrats on the ride!
Thanks! Yeah they set it to 40. The ride is way smoother than my Jku tho. I lowered down today.
Sponsored