Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
[/QUOTE]
I saw a list online years ago (should have save it). I was shocked to see Eddie McStiff's restaurant on that list. I always enjoyed eating there when in Moab. I won't go near the place anymore. Let me see if I can hunt down that article.
[/QUOTE]
Would love to see that list.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As @SubCultureNM said, you should be more worried about yourself and the behavior of your peers on the trails.

Creating new routes, driving over cryptobiotic (or whatever the new term is now), leaving trash on the trail (including your literal shit) are the best ways to get trails closed. We're still our own worst enemies.

So, panic not and look inward. Be a good steward of public lands with your own actions first and foremost.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Sorry , I don't have time to read the whole book you've published here but there is always lots of ongoing anti oil propaganda alive and kicking in most of mainstream media . I wouldn't worry about it .I think there are way many more crazies running loose these days around the nation that may try to prevent you to enjoy the privilege of driving a vehicle that isn't considered fuel efficient

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry , I don't have time to read the whole book you've published here but there is always lots of ongoing anti oil propaganda alive and kicking in most of mainstream media . I wouldn't worry about it .I think there are way many more crazies running loose these days around the nation that may try to prevent you to enjoy the privilege of driving a vehicle that isn't considered fuel efficient
Clearly you need sensitivity training. And the Chinese have purchased 100,000 + acres near Fort Hood Texas, and if they want to buy MOAB, just learn to share.

SubCultureNM

First Name
Brian Lucero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2019 Ford F-350
I first saw that list maybe 15 or 16 years ago and, yes, some of the businesses listed surprised me. If it's the same list that's currently circulating, I don't think anyone can vouch for its accuracy, any longer. Anyway, even when we're in town for multiple days, my wife and I frequent three places: Moab Brewery (who supports Jeeps and OHVs), Zax, and Milt's.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was actually going to say "if it's still called that"....

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
This is worth the read..... what should we or can we do?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34239...trails-in-moab-might-soon-be-ruled-by-big-oil

Your Favorite Off-Roading Trails in Moab Might Soon Be Ruled by Big Oil

How's that even legal? The Mineral Leasing Act of 1920, for starters.

JUNE 21, 2020

The brown-and-orange landscape that is Moab, Utah stands as every off-roader's dreamland. Jeep enthusiasts and other four-wheelers flock to America's West to tackle obstacles like Hell's Revenge in their terrain-conquering trucks, painting the 5,000-person town as some sort of utopia. It's been that way for over 50 years, but like all good things in 2020, Moab as it's known might soon come to an end thanks to the oil-and-gas industry.

Oh, and the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920. That's the legislation that makes it possible for companies like Prairie Hills Oil and Gas to use parcels of public land for drilling purposes. North Dakota-based lawyer Craig Larson looks to be at the front of this charge, as The New Yorker explains his proposal to lease a chunk of territory between Arches and Canyonlands National Park.

Larson and Prairie Hills are tied together as the latter is headquartered in a home co-owned by the lawyer in Big Lake, Minnesota, about 40 miles northwest of Minneapolis, the story says.

The land acquisition process is outdated, to say the least. Under the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920, anyone can nominate a piece of public land for gas and oil development—even anonymously. It's free to do so and following a review by the Bureau of Land Management, the parcel can then be sent to a lease auction where the highest bidder is awarded usage rights.

While Prairie Hills nominated the piece of land—which is going to auction in September—anyone who offers up the most cash can take charge of it.

Perhaps the most staggering piece of info is just how cheap a company can walk out with a swath of public land. The minimum competitive bid is marked at two dollars per acre, which is actually a realistic going price in places like Moab. The lease then has a term of 10 years, of which the first five carry an annual renting fee of $1.50. That fee is bumped up to $2 for the term's second half, meaning a 100-acre purchase would result in a payment of $520 to the Bureau of Land Management.

If the company uses the land for oil and gas drilling, then it must also pay a 12.5 percent royalty on production to the government. It is possible that a firm could simply lock-in a lease agreement and leave the land undeveloped, though Prairie Hills and Larson are tight-lipped about their plans.

The effect this could have on Moab and surrounding areas is clear. Anytime you drill into the earth, it disrupts the existing ecosystem. This damages the environment, first and foremost, and Moab's is one that's known for its great natural beauty. Clear skies provide one of North America's greatest views of the Milky Way, which isn't likely to be helped by burning petroleum.

In turn, this could hamper the town's tourist industry which has already taken a hit due to the pandemic. Nature junkies, whether they be hikers or off-roaders, could be turned away by the divisive resource-harvesting practices. Not to mention the locals, many of which are Native and have long voiced their anguish against Big Oil.

Frustratingly, this effort to commandeer land that's long been enjoyed by hobbyists nationwide is everything but illegal. Time will tell if it is indeed turned over to Prairie Hills Oil and Gas, or another firm, though it will seemingly take a dedicated team of conservationists to put a stop to it.

The New Yorker article is worth a read in full. Let us know your thoughts on the matter in the comments.
Okay! We just need to post signs that we are peacefully protesting and claim the area as an organized protest zone!
We just need a catchy name, some cool tents, some drugs, a whole bunch of ignorant followers, a dumbass warlord, and of course some signs!
And some money from our parents so we can buy stuff, and some drums, and munchies, and.......:bandit::CWL::LOL:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Okay! We just need to post signs that we are peacefully protesting and claim the area as an organized protest zone!
We just need a catchy name, some cool tents, some drugs, a whole bunch of ignorant followers, a dumbass warlord, and of course some signs!
And some money from our parents so we can buy stuff, and some drums, and munchies, and.......:bandit::CWL::LOL:
And since Moab can also mean the Mother of all Bombs we need to petition (loudly and of course violently) for a name change. Surely someone is offended. I'm sure glad the Dixie Chicks changed their name....

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
And be careful what you wish for. The alternative would be to vote in people that would declare all of it off limits to motorized transportation.
A lot of the roads that we like were built by mining companies. I don't want a lot of new development but with the state of the current energy business I don't think very many companies would invest anything in the land around Moab.

Sponsored

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
The number of users I had to hit "ignore" on this thread is annoying.

Yes, you may now ignore me.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Business boycotting is so retarded over a single issue that triggers you or someone else. Plenty of brain dead selfish vacationers flood in, spend a few bucks then leave. The off trail damage, graffiti, and trash left stays. I usually fill at least one trash bag every time I drive anywhere In recreational areas or off-road these days just can’t see it and drive by. D60 says it best.
Sponsored