Wouxun KG 1000 G in stock???

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Have you taken a look behind the spot right under your steering column like I suggested? There’s a pretty sizable place there you can zip tie or Velcro it to. Then just run the remote cable to wherever you decide the head unit and mic should go.

I’ve also seen some use the 67 design or bullet mount on the dash to hold the head unit.
I did. It’s a pretty big base unit and I didn’t see a solid way to mount it let alone get underneath there to screw it in place. For now It will probably live in the glove box.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RubICON1

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
I did. It’s a pretty big base unit and I didn’t see a solid way to mount it let alone get underneath there to screw it in place. For now It will probably live in the glove box.
Mine lives in the back on the floor mat for now. One day I'll figure out where I want it to live. Just plug it into that outlet and I'm good to go for now.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
😁 I’m laughing at myself as I haven’t figured out how I want to install it. I currently have the antenna on the passenger side hood wired around and through the door cowl.
The faceplate is on the dash via a 67 Designs mount. The cable is just run down the center console passenger side to the rear of the jeep.
I have the base unit wired for the aux outlet (cigarette lighter) in the rear of the Jeep right now for power.
it’s working fine without issue like this. I have a two door so no chance of running outta cable length.
Let me know what you end up doing as right now I’m fine with this setup it’s just a little messy.
thanks
can I ask which 67 designs mount you used for the face plate? Thanks in advance. I have the rail system, trying to figure the best way to mount up the face plate. Not sure what I’m doing with the base unit..

OP
OP
RubICON1

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
can I ask which 67 designs mount you used for the face plate? Thanks in advance. I have the rail system, trying to figure the best way to mount up the face plate. Not sure what I’m doing with the base unit..
That is my issue. Where to "permantly" mount it. I will have to look when I get home this evening and I'll post up what I did on the faceplate. It's basically 67D simple ball and small plate that are seperated. Comes with the 3 tiny screws. That plate will fit inside the back of the faceplate and almost aligns perfectly to the holes that are already in it. I had to bore out one just a bit for a better fit.
So, you do that which will attach the rear of the faceplate to the ball and then you can put the control back in place and mount that ball to the arm/rail. I have mine on a 'nano' length arm, I think. The smallest and it works great. The faceplate is sitting right on the end of the dash.

I'll post it up when I get home.

Phantasos

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
Slightly off topic but where would the best place to get started with basics and requirements for GMRS or CB? And what’s most commonly used today. I generally use my ZOLEO when I’m off grid but I think it would be cool to add something like this.

Yes I will still Google it but everyone on here has been so helpful thought I would ask

Edit: That’s easy.. maybe I’m missing something
https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it
If you have the time, and can learn to appreciate his particular sense of humor, NotARubicon has a ton of YouTube videos that taught me all I needed to know about GMRS, including licensing, use, and product comparisons.

I have added a watch for this thread for ideas on installing a kg-1000g.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I thought about (went so far as purchasing) mounting the radio with the rugged radio mount, which places the unit on the passenger side of the center console. Super secure, easy to mount. But kind of defeats the purpose of detachable face plate; even if I mount the face plate to the dash, I’d still have this base radio box with wires coming out both ends, and impeding full forward travel of the passenger seat.

I’ve thought that the glove box might be a great spot. It will fit. I don’t think heat will be an issue…but please disagree with me if I’m wrong. I don’t think I sacrifice too much by having the glove box occupied with the radio.

This is the Rugged Ridge mount…

Jeep Wrangler JL Wouxun KG 1000 G in stock??? 7646B674-F9B1-4559-8262-40AC4E6D7ABE

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I thought about (went so far as purchasing) mounting the radio with the rugged radio mount, which places the unit on the passenger side of the center console. Super secure, easy to mount. But kind of defeats the purpose of detachable face plate; even if I mount the face plate to the dash, I’d still have this base radio box with wires coming out both ends, and impeding full forward travel of the passenger seat.

I’ve thought that the glove box might be a great spot. It will fit. I don’t think heat will be an issue…but please disagree with me if I’m wrong. I don’t think I sacrifice too much by having the glove box occupied with the radio.

This is the Rugged Ridge mount…

Jeep Wrangler JL Wouxun KG 1000 G in stock??? 7646B674-F9B1-4559-8262-40AC4E6D7ABE
Yeah it’s not my favorite. Just my opinion.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Yeah it’s not my favorite. Just my opinion.
Yeah me too…feels like a half-done job putting it there. So maybe the glove box is my option.
Sponsored