Sponsored

Wouxun KG 1000 G in stock???

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
Emailed on Monday and asked when they thought they would have them in stock again and a fellow said "in a few weeks". Went ahead and ordered one on Tuesday and got an email that it had shipped on Wednesday.

If you were holding out waiting on them to get in stock, now might be the time.
Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
Emailed on Monday and asked when they thought they would have them in stock again and a fellow said "in a few weeks". Went ahead and ordered one on Tuesday and got an email that it had shipped on Wednesday.

If you were holding out waiting on them to get in stock, now might be the time.
I just ordered one Tuesday night. I called yesterday and I am #51 on backorder. They have 55 due today if not delayed in customs. It will probably ship next week. Curious on your install plan if you can share. Thanks

OP
OP
RubICON1

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered one Tuesday night. I called yesterday and I am #51 on backorder. They have 55 due today if not delayed in customs. It will probably ship next week. Curious on your install plan if you can share. Thanks
😁 I’m laughing at myself as I haven’t figured out how I want to install it. I currently have the antenna on the passenger side hood wired around and through the door cowl.
The faceplate is on the dash via a 67 Designs mount. The cable is just run down the center console passenger side to the rear of the jeep.
I have the base unit wired for the aux outlet (cigarette lighter) in the rear of the Jeep right now for power.
it’s working fine without issue like this. I have a two door so no chance of running outta cable length.
Let me know what you end up doing as right now I’m fine with this setup it’s just a little messy.
thanks

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I’m curious to know where y’all are going to mount the base unit as well. Mines been sitting in the box since November and finally decided to get around installing it. I want the head unit above the windshield, but can’t find a good location for the base unit. Ideally behind the glove box but it’s pretty tight quarters under there. I’m worried about putting it under the seat because of all the dog hair that collects under the seats. I thought about inside the glove box but wasn’t sure how hot it would get inside.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I’m curious to know where y’all are going to mount the base unit as well. Mines been sitting in the box since November and finally decided to get around installing it. I want the head unit above the windshield, but can’t find a good location for the base unit. Ideally behind the glove box but it’s pretty tight quarters under there. I’m worried about putting it under the seat because of all the dog hair that collects under the seats. I thought about inside the glove box but wasn’t sure how hot it would get inside.
There's a decent amount of space inside the kick panel under the steering wheel.

Sponsored

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I installed mine under the driver seat. The faceplate is attached above my CB on an overhead bar. I also have one external speaker on the bar. If you make it a habit to listen to 2 channels at once, I would suggest mounting 2 external speakers. I took a picture of the faceplate above the CB, but I don't have any other pictures at this time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wouxun KG 1000 G in stock??? IMG_6679

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I saw that in another post. That’s what I had pictured in my head all along but I’m jus y having a hard time finding somewhere to mount the base unit.
Have you taken a look behind the spot right under your steering column like I suggested? There’s a pretty sizable place there you can zip tie or Velcro it to. Then just run the remote cable to wherever you decide the head unit and mic should go.

I’ve also seen some use the 67 design or bullet mount on the dash to hold the head unit.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Slightly off topic but where would the best place to get started with basics and requirements for GMRS or CB? And what’s most commonly used today. I generally use my ZOLEO when I’m off grid but I think it would be cool to add something like this.

Yes I will still Google it but everyone on here has been so helpful thought I would ask

Edit: That’s easy.. maybe I’m missing something
https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Slightly off topic but where would the best place to get started with basics and requirements for GMRS? Yes I will still Google it but everyone on here has been so helpful thought I would ask
Go look it up yourself you bum!! :CWL:
Official: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/amateur-radio-service

Good reference: https://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-licenses
Good for studying: https://hamradioprep.com/

Good radio: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-1000g.html
You can find some cheap handhelds on Amazon if you prefer a more mobile option, they’re good to get you started.

At one time I used some flashcard apps on the iPhone, they may still exist in the App Store if you search.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Go look it up yourself you bum!! :CWL:
Official: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/amateur-radio-service

Good reference: https://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-licenses
Good for studying: https://hamradioprep.com/

Good radio: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-1000g.html
You can find some cheap handhelds on Amazon if you prefer a more mobile option, they’re good to get you started.

At one time I used some flashcard apps on the iPhone, they may still exist in the App Store if you search.
Haha yeah I just finished applying 😅 just always thought there was some complicated test or something.

Other than communicating with people on your trip something like a Zoleo or Garmin is still probably a better choice when there’s no signal right?

Edit: ah I’m seeing HAM is the one with more details. Makes sense.

Edit 2: “ Hams can transmit on the HF bands, which can travel around the world, while GMRS is limited to line-of-sight communications.”

Got it. Pretty clear now. GMRS is good for communication with a group of buddies when wheeling but not so good if you need emergency help off the grid. Looks like I’ll stick with the ZOLEO for now and start researching ham requirements.

OP
OP
RubICON1

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha yeah I just finished applying 😅 just always thought there was some complicated test or something.

Other than communicating with people on your trip something like a Zoleo or Garmin is still probably a better choice when there’s no signal right?

Edit: ah I’m seeing HAM is the one with more details. Makes sense.

Edit 2: “ Hams can transmit on the HF bands, which can travel around the world, while GMRS is limited to line-of-sight communications.”

Got it. Pretty clear now. GMRS is good for communication with a group of buddies when wheeling but not so good if you need emergency help off the grid. Looks like I’ll stick with the ZOLEO for now and start researching ham requirements.
GMRS can also get out miles if the terrain isn't too bad. Also, there are repeater networks available in some areas. I understand that GMRS is probably going to be the old CB replacement. At least one JeepJamboree type event has gone totally to GMRS.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
GMRS can also get out miles if the terrain isn't too bad. Also, there are repeater networks available in some areas. I understand that GMRS is probably going to be the old CB replacement. At least one JeepJamboree type event has gone totally to GMRS.
Makes sense to me. Thanks for your input.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it’s been officially sanctioned since 2021 as the mandatory option. Or that’s what jeepjamboreeusa.com says at least
Sponsored