Sponsored

Would your return your 2019 Rubi if you could?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Steering rack ..... hmm ok. Sounds like you understand how the jeep steering is set up
Absolutely not! However I am aware that it doesn't use a rack and pinion setup lol.

Either way, just because yours is fine doesn't mean theirs is? There were what seemed like well over a hundred people in the steering issues thread complaining about their jeeps, and many of those mentioned owning a Jeep before.

So it's not "doesn't know how to drive a solid front axle vehicle with drag link steering"

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Haven't read through every comment, but as many have said the steering issues are not normal and should not be put up with if you have options. I have a early production 2018 JLUR (stock drivetrain/wheels) and it still drives true at 32K miles. i think it is well documented on this website that it is a problem with a certain amount of these JL models, but its not how the vehicle was engineered and its not the norm. Don't justify this problem just to get into a specific ride.

Now why does the soft top AND hard top funnel water from the roof to drain on you when you're getting in during a rain storm? Its a Jeep thing.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
I would take it back if possible. Then I would go test drive many until I found one that is acceptable. It took me about $3200 to get mine corrected after failed attempts by dealer. Now it is great, but would have preferred not spending the money. It was a kick in the a$$, because the first 2019 I drove was perfect, but it didn't have all I wanted, so I ordered a 2020. Stupid me, i drove it around the dealer, signed and left. Learn from my mistake.

OP
OP

rcep2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
:facepalm:

From your very first post, I had serious doubts that you would be happy since you mentioned that you purchased site unseen and were asking for a good local mechanic.

Your experience SUCKS.

But I suppose your saving grace is your ability to return the vehicle and not be out of pocket too much money. And the fact that you would go in public and ask strangers for advice says a lot about the kind of kind individual that you are.

Not many people are as fortunate to be able to return a vehicle so count your lucky stars. Return the vehicle and learn a hard lesson from this.

You need to be more vigilant and more careful in the future when attempting to make major purchases like this online.
I knew what I was getting into. If not for the fact that I had a return policy on it, no questions asked, I would have never gone through with the transaction.
As for asking in public how best to find out if a car has an issue given the specifics of this car, I honestly doubt it says much about me as an individual other than I make use of crowd knowledge. I believe that’s why good forums like this exist.
Asking again on thoughts about fixing that particular issue. Same thing.
In summary, tried something new with no risk.... your message also says a lot about the kind of individual that you are...

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I knew what I was getting into. If not for the fact that I had a return policy on it, no questions asked, I would have never gone through with the transaction.
Did you?

Sounds like you were sold more on the return policy than on the Wrangler. Do you trust a used vehicle dealer in another state to transport a vehicle across states to you, to just allow you to return a $40k+ vehicle without any questions? I doubt it’ll be as smooth a return process as you suggest.
As for asking in public how best to find out if a car has an issue given the specifics of this car, I honestly doubt it says much about me as an individual other than I make use of crowd knowledge. I believe that’s why good forums like this exist.
Nothing wrong with using a forum but people research first, ask questions and then purchase. You seem to have gone in backwards.
Asking again on thoughts about fixing that particular issue. Same thing.
It’s not a simple or easy fix without knowing the real world history of the vehicle, beyond what’s on the carfax.
In summary, tried something new with no risk
No risk? I disagree. You’ve invested and spent your energy and time and that’s what you’ve lost.
.... your message also says a lot about the kind of individual that you are...
Good.

When you’re done dealing with this, can I interest you in some really wonderful Colorado beachfront property? :giggle:

OP
OP

rcep2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Did you?

Sounds like you were sold more on the return policy than on the Wrangler. Do you trust a used vehicle dealer in another state to transport a vehicle across states to you, to just allow you to return a $40k+ vehicle without any questions? I doubt it’ll be as smooth a return process as you suggest.

Nothing wrong with using a forum but people research first, ask questions and then purchase. You seem to have gone in backwards.

It’s not a simple or easy fix without knowing the real world history of the vehicle, beyond what’s on the carfax.

No risk? I disagree. You’ve invested and spent your energy and time and that’s what you’ve lost.

Good.

When you’re done dealing with this, can I interest you in some really wonderful Colorado beachfront property? :giggle:
Jeep is being picked up tomorrow. Took one call...
We clearly have different definitions of risk...time and energy do not equate to risk for me so all good...

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
We clearly have different definitions of risk...time and energy do not equate to risk for me so all good...
Agree to disagree. Hope your next Wrangler is better than this one. Have fun out there! :like:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Smart move. I had a '19 JLR that had steering issues and it was bought back by FCA. My replacement '20 Recon is amazing and I love it. There are definitely some defective Jeeps out there.

I hope you find one that steers correctly.

Madravan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
There's a very high probability that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your Jeep. Not sure what kind of vehicle you had prior, but unless it was a Jeep, you're gonna feel like something is wrong. Can you get used to it and ultimately live it? Maybe. Should you have to for a $60k+ vehicle??? I just got into a JLUR coming out of a Gen 2 Ford Raptor and I'm NOT ok with it. The Raptor was built for "off road" baja stuff but was AWESOME on the road. You could drive it cross country without blinking an eye and would arrive feeling great and refreshed. I don't think you could pay me to drive my JL cross country. They've come a long way but for daily driving, they are brutal. I think the people that are ok with how they drive are just used to it or are just blinded by their love of Jeeps...which is totally fine. But as some others have said, a Jeep might be the vehicle you tow to your off-road wheeling destination with your daily driver Ford, or Toyota or whatever you prefer. Just my 2 cents.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Ditto me too. My '19 is great and I have the experience to have realistic expectations.

SOMETHING is going on with the JL's, and they CAN drive nicely....so it CAN be fixed but no one seems to know what exactly to do. I still think with sufficient caster and a tight steering box it's gotta be 98% good. I don't buy that track bars or tie rods are flexing enough to cause any NOTICEABLE play or wandering.

I'm still running stock steering with 38s and it's tight.
I’ve been following this thread and have found a reoccurring thought that has been expressed and continues to be expressed regarding experience and realistic expectations. I find these comments to be self defeating. Not that I’m anti realistic expectations. What I find questionable is comparisons to outdated technology to establish what is reasonable now. My expectations are based on my experience with the 2014 JK that I drove for about 90,000 miles. My expectations of my 2018 JL were that it would at least be as good as. I think that is reasonable. I do not compare my JL to the twin I beam systems that I drove, just as I did not compare my JK to those and I’m glad to say that the JK was much better. Both of my Jeeps were bone stock. By the way, In my earlier years I was the manager of a HD alignment and frame shop that worked on those earlier vehicles including tri steer HD systems, RV’s, pick ups and cars, So I know what is possible and still I do not let that knowledge influence my expectations.

Respecting your comments of the importance of sufficient caster and a tight steering box... you are correct. The problem is that the JL steering system is an electric system that is far more involved than systems of yesteryear. Tightening the steering box is not enough, if it could be tightened at all. My expectation is that it should be at least as good as my JK was, after all it was supposed to be an improvement. Well it wasn’t and I’m not about to change my expectations as other manufacturers do get it right with similar systems.

Next, how do you adjust caster on a system that does not have at least adjustable lower control arms? Is it reasonable to expect to have adjustable control arms if an adjustment would fix most of the issues? The alignment specs for a JL state that cross caster adjustment of .5 degrees is ok. That is one adjustment that could alleviate a pull as a result of the crown of a road, not that I’m going to do it as the crown of roads around here vary so much. How does one adjust caster with a non adjustable system? If those are the printed specs would it not be reasonable to expect to be able to make such an adjustment especially being that this is a solid axle steering system?

I have just finished installing adjustable lower control arms and set the caster to 7+ degrees. It’s going to a reputable alignment shop tomorrow to check those settings and adjust to 7+ degrees as required. I’ve tested it and the difference it has made is significant and on turns I would say a huge difference as an in crease in + caster also increases -camber of the outside tire in a turn causing an increase of the size of the contact patch of the tire.

I’ve done a lot of work to my JL’s linkage based on my experience and the input of true Jeep mechanics with outstanding results. I love it now. Do I expect that the JL’s coming of the showroom should perform like mine? NO! As that would not be reasonable. What I do feel is reasonable is that the JL should have performed as well as my JK did and that the the dealer and FCA should have been able to fix it in the FIVE MONTHS that it went in and out of the shop.

I paid large for my JL much more than my JK and all I expected was for it to be as good as my JK, I don’t think that is unreasonable. Comments of the type that are being made about reasonable/unreasonable expectations imply otherwise and do no good for anyone.
Sponsored