Sponsored

Would you walk away from your order, or wait?

Wranglin'n'Danglin

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport Unlimited
The price increase is due to their mistake. If you aren't comfortable with it, then walk. If the deposit is non-refundable, I'd ask them to show you in writing with your signature where it states that.

If it were my deposit, I'd say something along the lines of:

"While I do appreciate the opportunity to do business with you, the price increase after our initial agreement has been voided due to an error on your side. Not only does the price increase negatively impact me, but the additional wait time is also more than burdensome. While I am willing to maintain our business together, an improved price point will be needed to make up for the inflated price caused by your administrative error. Additionally, the new delay due to this error will also negatively impact my family, so I'd appreciate financial incentives for that. If this is not agreeable, I request the deposit be refunded. Please let me know by end of business tomorrow how you would like to proceed."

This is not financial advise. I am not a lawyer. This is nothing more than a musing as to how I'd be inspired to handle a similar situation.
Sponsored

jasonodom

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Wrangler jlur
I found a similar optioned better color that was a 21 with 10k on it. Only thing that wasn’t on my order were the acc switch and tow package. I ordered a Sarge rubi with tan interior. Found a hella yella w black.

MyfirstJeepwasaCJ5

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2022
I
Been stalking the order threads for a while now, but finally made an account to ask...

I ordered a fairly loaded rubicon back on May 10th from my local dealer. Got my VON/VIN and welcome email within a couple of days after order, all is well.

June 16th rolls around and I receive a second welcome email with new VON. Call my dealership, ask what's up. Salesman says my address was incorrect so they had to submit a new order, but assures me it will still be a 22 and I wouldn't lose my spot in line, blahblahblah. First vehicle I've ordered... so I take his word for it hook, line, and sinker.

Call him back last week for an update. Jeep will be a 23 and of course the price has gone up around 1700-2000. Assures me Jeep will be here mid September ( yeah right). Approx build date is 08/24.

Ideally, we were banking on Jeep arriving the first week of October at the latest.

I've found a Jeep several states away that check all the boxes and then some. But I'll be paying MSRP plus shipping instead of the 1000 over invoice my dealership agreed to (yeah, wish I would've found below invoice dealerships before I made the original order). On the plus side, I'd be guaranteed to have it before October...

Part of me wants to pay the extra just because I'm pissed at my salesman. But I'd likely be walking away from my 1000 deposit... unless I have any kind of grounds on getting it back since they aren't honoring the original price.

Am I being unreasonable for being frustrated with my local dealership? Would you walk away and pay the extra?
I placed an order for Rubicon with the XRecon package on Dec 30 and received on July 23, almost seven months later. They did not respect the MSRP price when I placed the order, it went up about $2,900 and I could not do anything.... I would wait, I think the fact that you are getting a 2023 is a plus as you are getting a newer model Josue.

FancyGirl

First Name
Missy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
Been stalking the order threads for a while now, but finally made an account to ask...

I ordered a fairly loaded rubicon back on May 10th from my local dealer. Got my VON/VIN and welcome email within a couple of days after order, all is well.

June 16th rolls around and I receive a second welcome email with new VON. Call my dealership, ask what's up. Salesman says my address was incorrect so they had to submit a new order, but assures me it will still be a 22 and I wouldn't lose my spot in line, blahblahblah. First vehicle I've ordered... so I take his word for it hook, line, and sinker.

Call him back last week for an update. Jeep will be a 23 and of course the price has gone up around 1700-2000. Assures me Jeep will be here mid September ( yeah right). Approx build date is 08/24.

Ideally, we were banking on Jeep arriving the first week of October at the latest.

I've found a Jeep several states away that check all the boxes and then some. But I'll be paying MSRP plus shipping instead of the 1000 over invoice my dealership agreed to (yeah, wish I would've found below invoice dealerships before I made the original order). On the plus side, I'd be guaranteed to have it before October...

Part of me wants to pay the extra just because I'm pissed at my salesman. But I'd likely be walking away from my 1000 deposit... unless I have any kind of grounds on getting it back since they aren't honoring the original price.

Am I being unreasonable for being frustrated with my local dealership? Would you walk away and pay the extra?
My Jeep took 5 months and I didn't have a lot of upgrades. The price that your dealer quoted you the first time should be the price you pay. My sticker was above the price he quoted, I asked him about it and he said the price he gave me is what I will pay. So don't take that BS. Good Luck and Oh I would wait....it will so worth it. I almost gave up too but I stuck it out.

OP
OP

falf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I'm grudgingly waiting now... though I do plan on fighting like hell when it finally comes in to get them to stick with the original price.

That being said... dealership mentions there are penalties for sold orders not being sold to the person ordered. Anyone actually know what their "penalties" are? In my mind... I could see my dealership being thrilled with me walking away and having something to actually offer on the lot for full MSRP.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
We've never seen a verified situation where the original price was not honored. You should be locked in.
You can use me for this example. Same exact situation except my vehicle is a 392. Ordered April, changed by the factory to a 2023 in June, and the dealer would not honor the price, despite protection and Jeep calling me to ensure that my price would not go up..

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You can use me for this example. Same exact situation except my vehicle is a 392. Ordered April, changed by the factory to a 2023 in June, and the dealer would not honor the price, despite protection and Jeep calling me to ensure that my price would not go up..
Damn, that sucks. I guess what we hadn't seen was prices not being locked in when prices increased during the model year.

@JeepCares might be interested if you were really lied to by Jeep.

OP
OP

falf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Aaaaaand the saga continues. Finally called my original dealership to haggle on final price. Every time I call my salesman, I get a different story. Originally price was going up 1700ish. Apparently he was just throwing numbers out there last time I called. Pinned him down and asked for final price - it went up 3,000!!! Dealership refused to honor original price or budge on the price change... they did however agree to return my deposit.

Made a new deposit on the available Jeep. Price difference between the two isn't terribly much now AND I'll have it now VS sometime in the next 6 months.

wdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3, 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Man... That's just wrong. I would have gone ballistic.

Seem like we need a separate spreadsheet of bad actor dealerships to spread far and wide. These people are so short sighted. Free enterprise yes, but a deal is a deal. Make sure you let Jeep know.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Aaaaaand the saga continues. Finally called my original dealership to haggle on final price. Every time I call my salesman, I get a different story. Originally price was going up 1700ish. Apparently he was just throwing numbers out there last time I called. Pinned him down and asked for final price - it went up 3,000!!! Dealership refused to honor original price or budge on the price change... they did however agree to return my deposit.

Made a new deposit on the available Jeep. Price difference between the two isn't terribly much now AND I'll have it now VS sometime in the next 6 months.
I'm just glad you got your deposit back.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Damn, that sucks. I guess what we hadn't seen was prices not being locked in when prices increased during the model year.

@JeepCares might be interested if you were really lied to by Jeep.
I did order from another dealer once I was certain that my first order had been cancelled due to being completely untrusting of the first dealership at this point. But I doubt they actually cancelled that order, knowing the factory was going to invoice it for the 2022 price. So I lost out with their BS, however, on my new order, I was allowed $1500 more for my trade and am paying below sticker as well. So other than losing my place in line I was given a much better deal. God is good.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
They aren't god. But they are super simple to deal with.

Click on the email. Leave a deposit. They order the Jeep. You get a VIN and VON within a few days.

I sold cars when I was younger. They won't give you a date because they would lying to you. If you want to buy from a dealer that will give you a date then you are buying from someone who will lie.

This forum knows lead times better than most dealers because our sample size is larger.

If you won't order unless you have a delivery date, then oh well. Go pay MSRP.

You can throw the FANBOY around all you want. But its very simple. They do what they say they are going to do. They don't lie to you. And everything is full disclosure. Even if that means saying "we can't give you a solid estimate".
Curious if the angst is a competitor and venting frustrations at all the business Gupton is getting.

I have been reading these forums daily since June and I have NEVER read anyone, anywhere who ordered a Jeep from ANY dealer who got a take-it-to-the-bank delivery date. Covid and the disruptions to the supply lines threw everything into whack, but I guess some people have never heard of that. I live close to where they make the F250's and for months every and any available parking lot stored vehicles off the line that they couldn't sell/deliver since they were missing a chip. I mean you may not like the situation, but that is ok, it isn't designed for you. I email Danial about once every 3 weeks or so, mainly to check in - however, I also read on these forums and educate myself on how the rest of our community is doing and don't expect the dealer to miraculously get answers that they can't get. I think some people are better off moving on and finding another kind of vehicle that will cater to them.

The only issues that are truly headscratchers and get my full sympathy are those poor souls that ordered in 2020 or 2021 and haven't heard anything, much less received their vehicle. That just isn't right and Jeep Cares or someone should really try to find out why, as that is unacceptable to wait that long - unless you ordered the Unicorn skin leather seats!

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
That's something I don't like about ordering a vehicle. U never know what may happens to the order due to dealers stupidity or factory stupidity.

I rather buy one off the lot where I can see what I buy. I get to enjoy the new vehicle right away without waiting months or years for it.... Perhaps I could even be dead before I could received the newly ordered vehicle!
I do agree with you on that. When I bought my F150 years ago (first new vehicle I ever bought for myself), I was VERY particular about what I wanted. Now, this was in the "before times" when dealer lots were full. I had done a crap ton of research and knew every option I wanted - I wasn't going to "settle" for something at the kinds of prices I was looking at. I was able to do my own research and found the vehicle I wanted, with every detail. Luckily in my case, it was at another dealer about an hour away. I told my local dealer where it was, who had it, and what the VIN was and said I will go and buy it from them, or I can buy it from you. I was able to actually take it home for a weekend on an extended test drive - everything checked out and I bought it.

I did hate talking to the finance manager guy and all the sleezy upselling, but I had done my research there too and knew about what I should be paying. Thing is, I also had to do my own research on the discounts I qualified for, like the veteran and student ones. They gave them to me, but yeah, they should have checked on that for me.

So, yeah, I would much prefer to touch and feel it before I commit. Thing is if you order from someone I believe you aren't obligated actually to purchase it, if something is wrong. It would suck to lose that time and have to reorder or whatever, but at least you still have an option to walk away if something isn't right.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Reading this thread makes me realize I want nothing to do with car dealers right now. The sleaze is at a new level.