Sponsored

Would you walk away from your order, or wait?

OP
OP

falf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
No build sheet or window sticker, so they might be telling you the truth. You should, however, be locked in on the original price.
Thanks for checking. I would've had a fit had they pulled something like that.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Never sign an order with open ended terms.

My order stated delivery by date xxx or contract was void and deposit was to be refunded.

Make sure an authorized person such as sales Mgr or finance has signed. Salespeople donā€™t have contractual authority.

I invoked that clause and got my deposit back in full.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Iā€™d drop the order even if it meant losing $1000. Order one at well under invoice from another dealer, get what you want, still cheaper than your current scenario.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Been stalking the order threads for a while now, but finally made an account to ask...

I ordered a fairly loaded rubicon back on May 10th from my local dealer. Got my VON/VIN and welcome email within a couple of days after order, all is well.

June 16th rolls around and I receive a second welcome email with new VON. Call my dealership, ask what's up. Salesman says my address was incorrect so they had to submit a new order, but assures me it will still be a 22 and I wouldn't lose my spot in line, blahblahblah. First vehicle I've ordered... so I take his word for it hook, line, and sinker.

Call him back last week for an update. Jeep will be a 23 and of course the price has gone up around 1700-2000. Assures me Jeep will be here mid September ( yeah right). Approx build date is 08/24.

Ideally, we were banking on Jeep arriving the first week of October at the latest.

I've found a Jeep several states away that check all the boxes and then some. But I'll be paying MSRP plus shipping instead of the 1000 over invoice my dealership agreed to (yeah, wish I would've found below invoice dealerships before I made the original order). On the plus side, I'd be guaranteed to have it before October...

Part of me wants to pay the extra just because I'm pissed at my salesman. But I'd likely be walking away from my 1000 deposit... unless I have any kind of grounds on getting it back since they aren't honoring the original price.

Am I being unreasonable for being frustrated with my local dealership? Would you walk away and pay the extra?
If you do decide to dump the deal and go with the other Jeep, I wouldn't even talk to your salesman, I would go straight to the General Manager for the stealership and tell him you want you deposit back. Right all the relevant facts down on a notebook so you have them handy in case they start asking questions. Sounds to me like they should give you the deposit back. You should not have to pay more for their screwup...

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If you're considering placing a new order anyways, why wouldn't you do it at a below invoice dealership, now that you know about them? Save some money, less headache, trusted, etc.

OP
OP

falf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
If you're considering placing a new order anyways, why wouldn't you do it at a below invoice dealership, now that you know about them? Save some money, less headache, trusted, etc.
I don't really want to place a new order. My current order is scheduled for production... so will hopefully be finished sooner rather than later. If they would honor the original price, I think I would be satisfied... even if the jeep arrives later than I hoped.

I was going between waiting this one out... even though I'm pissed at the dealership, or pay about 4,000 more for one that's available now.

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If it was me..... I would cancel the order, and reorder with a dealer that will get you under invoice. Its not difficult to find 4-6% under with a factory order. Patience always pays off. You are talking several thousands of dollars. Unless you really are in a tight spot and need a vehicle now.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
If you were to order again wouldnt it be worth say $6k to wait a month or two longer? By the time you pay MSRP plus the $1000 youre losing on the deposit, the differential is 6-7k on a fairly loaded Rubi if you get a 5.5% below invoice deal now. Orders for Rubi's are moving to scheduled pretty fast right now.

OP
OP

falf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
All good things to think about. Reality is, this current order isn't likely to arrive by the time I want it. After that point, I don't really care how long it takes... so definitely might be worth my time to call around to some below invoice dealerships.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Part of me wants to pay the extra just because I'm pissed at my salesman. But I'd likely be walking away from my 1000 deposit... unless I have any kind of grounds on getting it back...
Deposit refund policies will likely vary according to state, since state laws usually steer dealer practices on the matter. You might consider poking around to determine what Utah legislation says on the subject.

In PA, for example, automotive dealers must by law return a customer's vehicle order deposit to them if they ask for it. The customer will of course lose his claim to the vehicle that the deposit established, but that should be understood.

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Iā€™d walkā€¦ they may be telling the truth, but theyā€™re fumbling with the business. Imagine what will or could happen if the vehicle shows up and thereā€™s an issue with it.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If it was me..... I would cancel the order, and reorder with a dealer that will get you under invoice. Its not difficult to find 4-6% under with a factory order. Patience always pays off. You are talking several thousands of dollars. Unless you really are in a tight spot and need a vehicle now.
That could easily be six months out. It all depends on how time is worth to him. A few thousand might be a killer or it might be insignificant.

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That could easily be six months out. It all depends on how time is worth to him. A few thousand might be a killer or it might be insignificant.
Sure, which is why I said ā€œif it was meā€. When I grabbed my 22 JLU neither time or money was a factor. We all have different situations. But at the same time why not, with my situation, save some money.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Been stalking the order threads for a while now, but finally made an account to ask...

I ordered a fairly loaded rubicon back on May 10th from my local dealer. Got my VON/VIN and welcome email within a couple of days after order, all is well.

June 16th rolls around and I receive a second welcome email with new VON. Call my dealership, ask what's up. Salesman says my address was incorrect so they had to submit a new order, but assures me it will still be a 22 and I wouldn't lose my spot in line, blahblahblah. First vehicle I've ordered... so I take his word for it hook, line, and sinker.

Call him back last week for an update. Jeep will be a 23 and of course the price has gone up around 1700-2000. Assures me Jeep will be here mid September ( yeah right). Approx build date is 08/24.

Ideally, we were banking on Jeep arriving the first week of October at the latest.

I've found a Jeep several states away that check all the boxes and then some. But I'll be paying MSRP plus shipping instead of the 1000 over invoice my dealership agreed to (yeah, wish I would've found below invoice dealerships before I made the original order). On the plus side, I'd be guaranteed to have it before October...

Part of me wants to pay the extra just because I'm pissed at my salesman. But I'd likely be walking away from my 1000 deposit... unless I have any kind of grounds on getting it back since they aren't honoring the original price.

Am I being unreasonable for being frustrated with my local dealership? Would you walk away and pay the extra?
How much of a deposit did you leave??

If you bail, you need to plan on losing that. then you might be pleasantly surprised.

If I were you, I'd bail and then order from someone like Gupton. Yeah, they are cheap, but imagine doing business with a dealer that treats you like an intelligent person and doesn't lie to you. Not even a little. Yeah, you will lose 2 months. But that $55,000 Rubicon will probably only cost you $49,500.
Sponsored