Sponsored

Would you trade JL for JT?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
No, but I sure like them. I considered trading my pickup for one until I saw the tiny box and super low tow rating.
Sponsored

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150; Sharron's 2020Grand Cherokee
I did exactly what you're considering. Traded an F-150 & a 2 door JL for a JT. The wife and I are nearing retirement, and thought we didn't need to have 3 vehicles any longer. I don't use a truck often, but occasionally, and I like trucks. Enjoyed the 2 door JL since size, as some have noted, is great for getting in and out of places. I loved the 2 door JL. I miss the JL for that reason alone. I miss the 30 something gallon fuel tank on the F-150. I have to go to the gas station much more often in the JT. But having said all that, the JT gets me where I want to go, if I need it as a truck, I have one. Granted, can't haul as much in the back of the JT, but it serves my needs.
Bottom line, what are your needs? The JT has served me well for about a year now and I'm still pretty tickled with it.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
After 4 trucks I realized I'm not a truck guy. For my personal needs, there is nothing practical about them. (I can always rent a truck/van if I need to haul)

Having said that, I might consider trading my JL for a JT, if I lived in a less urban area. The difference in maneuverability between my Wrangler and my Tacoma is substantial. If you're into trucks, you make do, but I'm not really... so I would get a JT only if I lived in an area with more open space.

Last edited:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I have a F150 and a JL........I want to trade them in for the JT. Would you guys trade in your JL for the JT?
Yes I would because I can use a flat bed to do things like get materials for the yard plus the house (Fertilizer, Cement, etc) and also take things like coal and a BBQ for the beach over the summer. I almost never take my JLUR off road and probably would have taken a JTR over a JLUR. It's too bad back when I custom ordered it, the lead time for a JTR was much longer than a JLUR and waiting so long was impractical for me.

But with that said, it is not like I regret getting my JLUR. The Alpine Sound System, Tan Leather Seats, 8 Inch Touchscreen, door less experience, the fatter tires and the steel bumper plus the overall beefier look that I wanted make it worth my $$.

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Just got back from a trip to Zion where we rented a JT Overland with a rooftop tent and drove about 1,000 miles. it was such a fun experience but it actually made me like my 2dr even more. I live in Chicago and that Gladiator would have been a nightmare to park in the city. I love the fact the two door is so nimble, quick and also gets far better fuel economy. JT makes more sense for those in areas where there is just more space. Loved the experience but happy with what I have. Amazing to have all these fun options!

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG

Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
The JT is just too big for my needs. Wouldn't fit in my garage very well. Would have to take out some shelving units. I also have the SOT top which I love. Not offered on the JT.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
If I needed a pickup definitely. Might be my next vehicle if we ever upgrade the boat.
That's been a big debate with the wife. Our boat is at the limit for a JLU, but would like to add a couple feet (and enclosed head), but that comes with another 1000 lbs (and heavier trailer). Maybe now with the new JL we won't be as inclined to dump $ into the other toys (hahahahaha).

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
My wife had a truck when I met her (Tacoma TRD). She's an artist and used it to haul stuff - she's a sculptor that uses a lot of power tools. After we married she finally sold it for an electric Fiat as she wasn't hauling stuff as much any more and could rent a van or truck when needed. Before I bought the JL we talked trucks but came to the conclusion that we don't need to haul very often, and for stuff that I haul (music gear), a truck actually isn't a great solution as I've evolved my rig to fit into a hatchback.

Seems that it comes down to what/how much you use a truck. If you aren't regularly hauling stuff that wouldn't fit in the back of a JL (I took the seat out of my 2-door as soon as I got it home - carries quite a bit now), then yes to JT. If not, then maybe still yes to JT if you like trucks. Some folks drive trucks and don't really use the truck aspect - and that's...ok.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I have a F150 and a JL........I want to trade them in for the JT. Would you guys trade in your JL for the JT?
Did just that last year, and already back into a JLURR....
2019 Sting Grey JLUR traded in for 2019 White JTR, now in a 2020 Sarge Green JLURR

Rubi 1.jpg

JT Pic.jpg

Boba 2020.jpg

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Just realized the rims from my Gladiator are the exact same ones as the ones on my Recon!

Sponsored

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My wife really likes the JT but I'm not quite convinced. Seems too big to be good at Jeep stuff and too small to be good at truck stuff.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Not for us. The JT wouldn't fit in our garage and we already have plenty of friends with trucks.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Nope. I have a JL, and my truck. Two different vehicles.

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I have been seriously considering it...negotiated a really good deal for an order for a Mohave. They would give me $1500 less than what I paid for my JLUR on trade and $6500 off MSRP of the JT. I think I will not do it now though because even for an exact build as my JLUR, it would cost $7000 more to upgrade. I can buy a trailer for half that or less and still be ahead.
Your gonna be sorry the first time you drive that limo. They are doing 15-20% off and dealer lots are full of JT’s. Just think about it.