First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR White | 2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I was trying to shed light into your comment “not sure why others says the tow capacity is too low.”

If you think of it, towing capacity is indeed low relative to other $50,000+ trucks.

Clearly you have your own reasons for buying a Gladiator: you don’t tow much weight, and you appreciate being able to remove the top, doors, etc.

But, again, objectively speaking, if towing is what you are after, JT provides a poor towing power/dollar value.
I knew where you were coming from, but the towing capacity is not low for a mid-size truck. Comparing a mid-size truck to full-size is apples to oranges. You also can’t go by dollars alone, the Gladiator starts in the $30’s.

A loaded full-size can go over $70-80k, way more than a Gladiator and yes I know a loaded Gladiator Rubicon with the diesel is pushing $70k but a sport would be In the $40’s. The full-size does not have the off-road capabilities of a Gladiator without spending thousands of dollars.

For me, I wanted something with all of the strengths of the Wrangler with a bed and more towing capacity but didn’t want multiple vehicles.
Advertisement

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Clearly you have your own reasons for buying a Gladiator: you don’t tow much weight, and you appreciate being able to remove the top, doors, etc.

But, again, objectively speaking, if towing is what you are after, JT provides poor towing-power for your dollar.
Removal of top and doors FTW!!! The JT is about as unique and utilitarian a vehicle as you can purchase. I should say THE most. It's VERY cool.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Removal of top and doors FTW!!! The JT is about as unique and utilitarian a vehicle as you can purchase. I should say THE most. It's VERY cool.
Indeed. A $60,000 “utilitarian” vehicle! :LOL:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I noticed a new 2020 JT loaded Overland for $42k.
That seems like a pretty good deal. Then again, I am not sure how the JT resale value will hold up long term. My 2-door JL Sport gives a really good resale as did my TJ.
For that price though... the JT looks tempting, ever for a trade.

I would not expect the JT to tow what my Sierra can, then again my Sierra could not keep up with the JL in terms of off-roading. It would be like I was navigating the MS Queen Victoria on the Rubicon Trail.

The JT looks like a lot of fun and versatility.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'll echo what others have said: If you're looking to go from 2 vehicles into 1, then maybe. It depends on your use. Keep in mind, a JT is essentially the equivalent of a Ford Ranger, which is smaller than an F150. A buddy of mine just traded his '16 JKUR for a 2020 JT Rubi because he wants the capability of the Jeep, but doesn't do as much off roading as I do, and has been doing renovations to his house. Plus, he is pretty active with his wife and kids (bikes, kayaks, looking for a camper).

For me, I wouldn't get the use out of the truck bed as we are still in an apartment. My kids are younger, and I do a lot more off roading (and look to do more hardcore off roading) than he does.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Would you trade a brunette for a blond ? That really depends on what type of character you are . When you become close and intimate with your soulmate that the trade may become impossible and you just expand your garage..

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR & 2017 VW Golf R
Occupation
Manager
I love my JLUR, but am considering a JT. We kayak and SUP, and I haven’t been happy with the roof rack options for the JL. With the JT, I could carry them on a bed mounted rack, without it impacting what type of top I have or whether the top is off/down. Plus throwing wet or dirt equipment in the bed is a bonus. Lastly, the towing capacity would be useful for a camper in the future.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
I love my JLUR, but am considering a JT. We kayak and SUP, and I haven’t been happy with the roof rack options for the JL. With the JT, I could carry them on a bed mounted rack, without it impacting what type of top I have or whether the top is off/down. Plus throwing wet or dirt equipment in the bed is a bonus. Lastly, the towing capacity would be useful for a camper in the future.
I kept my JL and added a entry level Tacoma with 6' box for hauling those items.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon JL 6 Speed
No, I wouldn't trade my JL for a JT. I would buy one to compliment my JL, but I feel the Power Wagon is a better buy.

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR & 2017 VW Golf R
Occupation
Manager
I kept my JL and added a entry level Tacoma with 6' box for hauling those items.
If I didn’t already have a second vehicle (VW Golf R), I would consider doing something similar.

JLUin818

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jizzmopper
you can get a trailer to tow your kayak and i have no idea what SUP is but i assume you can probably tow it as well lol. camper wise, that would make a difference.

i would love to get a Gladiator but theyre just so long. i would prefer it to have a smaller bed and shorter wheelbase, somehow. like a Sport Trac or H2 truck. just drop the tailgate if you need to haul bikes or anything somewhat long. id be all over it if they did that. i was checking them out at the dealer yesterday and just cant get over how long they are.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
If I didn’t already have a second vehicle (VW Golf R), I would consider doing something similar.
The Tacoma was my 3rd when I bought it. Recently sold my Q5 to make room for the Bronco I have on order, so will be back to 3 when/if that comes in. But my daughter who is driving now is trying to claim the Jeep and my son will have his license in a year. Have a feeling when both kids are driving I will be down to the Tacoma.

When discussing this a few weeks ago this is what my daughter had to say "dad the first one to leave the house in the morning gets to choose their vehicle".

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement