Sponsored

Would you switch to a jt?? Why, or why not?

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
No, the break over angle and rear departure of the JT is horrible and it can't tow my TJ which is about 5,000 lbs, 7,000lbs including the trailer.

Also, imo JTs need a minimum of 37s and 2.5" lift to look good. With 40s they look amazing but thats $$$$. Stock they look odd to me.
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I love my JL Sahara, but if the right price and right timing would come along, I would trade in a heartbeat, I always have use for a truck bed. But like I said, it is not the time or the place for me to change vehicles. And also like I said, I love my Jeep JL Sahara.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Going from a two door JL to a JT would be very tough for me. I use my Jeep on the rocks of Colorado where generally the short wheel base helps with maneuverability and of course the breakover angle. I just don't see that I would ever want the extra size of the JT. If I'm going to offroad I want the Wrangler. Until my desires are most truck focused rather than offroad fun focused, I'll stick with a 2 door Wrangler.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Nope. Don't care for the looks of the JT. I do have a pickup truck as well but even if I didn't I wouldn't want a JT.

Sponsored

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU , 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Telecom
Wife wanted a JT to replace her 4runner. I already had a tacoma.
I said “nah, I already have a pickup”. She got a Wrangler.

I liked the Wrangler so much I replaced my tacoma with JT.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A 2 door extended cab, with a 6.5 bed would sell. Enough room behind the front seats for groceries, or dogs, that's the " extended cab", then the 6' box, tailgate down, 8'.
8 out of 68 posts say yes

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Who told you the JT has a 4 foot bed?
It's a 5' bed. 6.5' when the gate is down. Exactly the same as all other trucks in the segment, and only 6 inches shorter than the standard full size truck beds.
A foot difference doesn't matter to me, it's still worthless as a truck. Putting the tailgate down doesn't help much at all when you're hauling stuff that can slide out. Hell the Jeep Comanche pickups with a short bed have a longer and wider bed than the JT. Yeah, a compact pickup made 30 years ago is more useful than a modern midsize pickup.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
No, the break over angle and rear departure of the JT is horrible and it can't tow my TJ which is about 5,000 lbs, 7,000lbs including the trailer.

Also, imo JTs need a minimum of 37s and 2.5" lift to look good. With 40s they look amazing but thats $$$$. Stock they look odd to me.
That’s what I’m saying, it’s apples and oranges.

Yep. JT off-road “crawling” specs are not as good when compared to a Wrangler. But superior for a midsized truck. Also, if I had a need to tow anything over 5k I would have bought full-size truck. My boat is 4K, so no. If I went with full size truck I would compromise off-road ability.

Its kind of rude to say the break over angle and rear departure are “horrible.” Why horrible? How about saying it’s less than the wrangler.

How about more reasoning and discussion, and less opinions? Wranglers are too short in my opinion. Does that matter? Am I correct? Nope, because there isn’t a correct answer to that question. And who gives a shit what I think?

I’m not even going to address what looks good because that is all subjective.

The OP does ask “why” so I guess “horrible break over angle” is technically a response, but without a why, it is not constructive.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
That’s what I’m saying, it’s apples and oranges.

Yep. JT off-road “crawling” specs are not as good when compared to a Wrangler. But superior for a midsized truck. Also, if I had a need to tow anything over 5k I would have bought full-size truck. My boat is 4K, so no. If I went with full size truck I would compromise off-road ability.

Its kind of rude to say the break over angle and rear departure are “horrible.” Why horrible? How about saying it’s less than the wrangler.

How about more reasoning and discussion, and less opinions? Wranglers are too short in my opinion. Does that matter? Am I correct? Nope, because there isn’t a correct answer to that question. And who gives a shit what I think?

I’m not even going to address what looks good because that is all subjective.

The OP does ask “why” so I guess “horrible break over angle” is technically a response, but without a why, it is not constructive.
For the trails I like to do I would not want a JT. The belly would constantly be hitting/getting hung up and the rear would also smack on everything. It's also very long and wide, same as a JL, so it would be much harder to navigate. Other than the width and length a tall enough lift, big enough tires, and a lot of armor would solve most those issues.

I'm not saying the JT is horrible, the stock angles are though. It certainly isn't going to go on a lot of the trails my TJ can. To be fair neither would my wife's JL without a lift and 37s. (Which is the plan)

If I could only have 1 car then the JT would be on my list because it can go on lots of trails with a lift and tires and can also fit big items in the bed. Fortunately for me I can have a dedicated wheeler for harder trails, the wife's JL for family trips (harder trails as it grows), and a truck that can tow them.

If I was to buy a JT and use it on the trails I like though I'd quickly go broke because I'd want dana 60/80s, 40s, and a ton of aluminum skids. If I was in Utah or another place that had tall ledges and steep climbs though I'd be singing another tune because I feel like the JT would really shine in a spot like that.

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
A foot difference doesn't matter to me, it's still worthless as a truck. Putting the tailgate down doesn't help much at all when you're hauling stuff that can slide out. Hell the Jeep Comanche pickups with a short bed have a longer and wider bed than the JT. Yeah, a compact pickup made 30 years ago is more useful than a modern midsize pickup.
I guess Jeep really missed the mark. They must if you don’t like it. Call the line guys, tell em to shut it down, Mr Dragon doesn’t approve.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That " a foot difference doesn't matter to me " is going to come back and Haunt you, wait and see.
By the way, Tailgate Extenders are very useful,and readily available

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I guess Jeep really missed the mark. They must if you don’t like it. Call the line guys, tell em to shut it down, Mr Dragon doesn’t approve.
Yep they did miss the mark for people who actually need and use a pickup. Today I saw another JT with an empty bed, but it had a hitch mounted bicycle carrier with two bikes on it lol.

Nah Jeep doesn't have to shut down JT production; I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
That " a foot difference doesn't matter to me " is going to come back and Haunt you, wait and see.
By the way, Tailgate Extenders are very useful,and readily available
6.5'+ beds are more useful to me than a 5' with tailgate extender. I prefer 8' beds honestly.

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Subaru BRZ, 2010 Toyota FJ, 2001 Honda S2000
I did make the switch. Loved the Rubicon. Loved the Mojave more and the truck is more useful now. Love it!

E60AEAA3-D48D-48E3-AC29-B8CC34CCA738.jpeg
Sponsored