Sponsored

Would you switch to a jt?? Why, or why not?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If they made this I would in a heartbeat, otherwise a hard pass.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 1623157015015
Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a JT and recently got the wife a JL. Best of both worlds. Overall, I will say the JT drives way better then the JL and is more comfy overall. Though it is nice driving the smaller JL in the city.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How's the resale on the JTs? Could you sell the JL to a carvana/vroom for more than what you paid then go and buy a JT at a lower price than what you sold the JL for?
At launch, Gladiator was priced $3,000 above a comparable Wrangler. But Wrangler MSRPs have risen faster than Gladiator’s. Two years later, Wrangler is priced about $2,000 above a comparable Gladiator.

In normal times without shortages of any kind, Gladiators get more discounts and incentives than Wrangler. Gladiator was on “employee pricing” —excl. Rubicon and Mojave— for the second half of 2020. Without incentives, Wrangler still outsold Gladiator 3 to 1.

Part of it is that Gladiator has more direct competitors, all of which are priced thousands of dollars below.

Resale appears to be equally strong for both JL and JT.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I've tried, so many times, to like the design of the JT but to me, it's hideous. One of the things that always made the "truck" look off was the MIC top on many of them. The profile looked weird, to me anyway. Trucks with the matching color hardtops looked better but that still isn't enough for them to look attractive to me. I can't put my finger on what rubs me the wrong way but I think part of it is the bed length. Some of the early concept renderings appeared to have a shorter bed and as I have no need to haul lumber or drywall around, I don't need a bed that long.

I'm on Wrangler #6 and fully anticipate buying another. My next will probably be a MY '22 or maybe a '23. The only way I'd consider a JT is if they chop off a foot or so off the bed. I liked the look of the H2Ts with a bed big enough for a cooler and grill for camping and/or tailgating. I'm sure there are people out there that want the extra space so Jeep has to decide who to appeal to most.

Speaking of looks I like, if there was a hardtop option for something like this I would be all over it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 1623160335006

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I went back and forth on this exact question.

For me, if I'm going to get a JT, then I'm going to look at other mid-size pickups, which leads me to the Tacoma - offroading aside, it's a much better value (IMO) from a pickup standpoint. But if I'm going to spend $45-50K on a pickup, I might as well get a "real" pickup, which leads me back to an RST Z71 Silverado.

Which is right where I was ~a year ago when I started shopping for what would replace my current '07 GMC Sierra. Then I remember that I've driven this truck for ~15 years and never once towed anything, don't have plans to buy anything towable in the next ~5 years at least, and have a bed cover that stays on 95% of the time. So then I realize that a JL lets me sit "up" like a truck, but has better MPG, it's smaller (more room in my garage, easier parking, etc), and significantly more "fun".

So then I'm looking at JLs, but see the JTs out of the corner of my eye on the website, and it's back to the beginning, lol.

For me, the JT is actually several thousand cheaper - the Texas Trail trim package has most of what I want, so it comes out cheaper than the Sahara that I'm going to be ordering soon.

Just depends on your needs. I also don't *really* care for the sharp 90° angle on the back of the JT cab, personally.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
But it makes no claims other than being a Wrangler with a bed. A lot of people seem to love that or hate that.
That's the key thing that a lot of people don't understand. From the rear glass back, there is not ONE single part that the Gladiator shares with the Wrangler. It's a totally different vehicle. Frame, suspension, axle, shocks, materials used in the bed, tail lights, the way the hitch mounts, etc. etc. Everything is different. It's not a Wrangler with a bed.

The 4' bed is worthless for me (and funny enough I see plenty of JT's with hitch attachments because the bed is too small) and the overall length is a killer to me. Remove the rear doors and replace with an extra 2' of bed and I'd add that JT to my collection.

The J6 concept is what the JT should have been.
I’d trade in my 2DR Rubicon for a 2DR JT!
It's a 5' bed. 6.5' when the gate is down. Exactly the same as all other trucks in the segment, and only 6 inches shorter than the standard full size truck beds.

There will never be a 2-door Gladiator. As Mark Allen, head of the Jeep design studio said, "If you want a 2-door Gladiator, buy a Wrangler Unlimited".

Then there was losing the convenience of an enclosed cargo area. One rainy day we go to Trader Joe’s and had to toss the groceries in the back seat along with my niece and sister-in-law, or let everything get wet out in the bed.
That's the beauty of the Gladiator. You can have a 5' open bed, 6.5' open bed with the gate down, or there's 50 million bed covers, bed caps, camper shells, utility beds, etc. to choose from for enclosed weather protection. It's the Swiss Army knife of Jeeps.

If they made this I would in a heartbeat, otherwise a hard pass.

1623157015015.png
You could sell a bag of ice to an Eskimo easier than you could sell a 2-door, mid-size pickup in this country. And all the automakers know it, which is why NONE of them offer it anymore.

There are a lot of things that look great on paper, but then when it's offered nobody buys it. The manual transmission comes to mind.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
No I would not get rid of my JL for a JT. The 4' bed is worthless for me (and funny enough I see plenty of JT's with hitch attachments because the bed is too small) and the overall length is a killer to me. Remove the rear doors and replace with an extra 2' of bed and I'd add that JT to my collection.

The J6 concept is what the JT should have been.
Who told you the JT has a 4 foot bed?
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? gladiator bed

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's the beauty of the Gladiator. You can have a 5' open bed, 6.5' open bed with the gate down, or there's 50 million bed covers, bed caps, camper shells, utility beds, etc. to choose from for enclosed weather protection. It's the Swiss Army knife of Jeeps.
I hate canopies. They look dorky and defeat the whole point of getting a pickup truck.

Besides, if I’m going to add a canopy, I might as well get a Wrangler: it already comes with a factory “canopy.”

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I guess I'm the odd man out but I like the hideous or ugly or whatever you want to call it looks of the JT. I hate the sleak looks of all the new mid-sized trucks these days. I can't even tell them apart. To me, the JT looks tough, durable and unique. It's for Jeep lovers that want a truck. Nothing more. You can't compare it to other mid-sized trucks. Other trucks don't have the uniqueness that comes with owning a Jeep, i.e. removable top and doors and more.

Sponsored

turd fergusen

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 2021 JLU Sahara altitude.
I have a 2020 JT Rubicon and a 2021 JLU Sahara. I love my truck, I have been off roading many times with it and I can say it is very capable. The added wheelbase gives it a big advantage on steep hills / dropoffs.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The four door Wrangler is too big for me so no, I wouldn’t trade my JLR for a JT.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
My wife made the switch from a TJ to a JT. I recently sold my TJ and have a 2-door JL on the way.

I think we have the best of both worlds.

I really dig the JT. We just had the opportunity to remove the top/doors since we got it late last year. I like it more and more. We don't need a full-sized truck, and this works out great!

On the other hand, the 2-door JL will be our Jeep...the JT is our Jeep that happens to be a Truck with 4-doors

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
OK, I have a Mojave. My wife has a JL Rubi. Way back when there was a CJ, there was a Gladiator. It was a different vehicle then, and it is a different vehicle now.

Can't really choose between these two because they are different tools, for different jobs.

People make the mistake of thinking of the Gladiator as a wierd Wrangler. Don't. Think of it as the best freaking midsize truck you can buy stock. The best midsize truck on the market that can haul some shit monday through friday, and then can absolutely take you anywhere off road you want to go on the weekends. Most trucks compromise off road ability for on road/towing/hauling duties. The JT, and especially the Mojave does not compromise trail capability, they compromise some of the "truck" stuff. Its not much really.

I would put my Mojave up against any off road truck with the exception of the Raptors and the TRX. If we are in open the desert, I would choose it over most SUV's. Is it the best? Is it the Fastest? Is it the most maneuverable? Would I win a race, probably not. But, I would have more fun, feel safer, enjoy myself more, laugh all the way and absolutely not be jealous of anybody else's vehicle.

I would also hit a hard trail with my truck over all others. Again, I would not be the best, but I would have fun. And I still have my truck.

To be honest, the capability of our vehicles do not set the limits of what we can do. Most of us will never push our "sports cars" past their limits.

I have a freaking rad, highly capable bad ass truck. With the coolest freaking adventure interior from the factory, and classic styling. I wanted a jeep but could not compromise on a truck bed.

I... Love... My JT...

ps. My wife would choose her JL over my truck every day! LOL!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You could sell a bag of ice to an Eskimo easier than you could sell a 2-door, mid-size pickup in this country. And all the automakers know it, which is why NONE of them offer it anymore.

There are a lot of things that look great on paper, but then when it's offered nobody buys it. The manual transmission comes to mind.
I get that 100%, doesn't mean I still wouldn't love to have that one!
Sponsored