Sponsored

Would you switch to a jt?? Why, or why not?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Nope, I'm just not into pickup trucks. at all.

I will give the JL the compliment that of all the current pickup trucks being produced, it's by far my favorite looking pickup truck. Like, no contest.

I do agree that the back of the cab, especially with the hard top, looks a little on the awkward side? But it makes no claims other than being a Wrangler with a bed. A lot of people seem to love that or hate that.

It's not trying to be the Duramax Dually 3500 Super Duty TRX Mad Dog edition. It's not trying to look like you can drive it through a walgreens without so much as a scratch on the bumper. It's not trying to do anything. It's just a regular ole' Jeep. I appreciate that.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
No I would not get rid of my JL for a JT. The 4' bed is worthless for me (and funny enough I see plenty of JT's with hitch attachments because the bed is too small) and the overall length is a killer to me. Remove the rear doors and replace with an extra 2' of bed and I'd add that JT to my collection.

The J6 concept is what the JT should have been.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
No I wouldn't get rid of my JL for a JT. With that being said, the only way I'd get a JT is with the 3.0 Ecodiesel or especially if they offered it with the 392.

Even then, I'd choose a Sport just so I could pull the axles to install Dana 60's, appropriate suspension, and 40" tires. My opinion is the JT doesn't look good with anything less than 37's.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
After 4 Wranglers, once the Gladiator came out I'm on my second one and will never look back.

- Can be configured to literally 100% more payload capacity, which means you can legally carry a family AND your gear. Also means you can legally tow more than 1,000 lbs. and take your family along.

- 6.5' bed with the tailgate down opens up WAYYYY more options.

- Longer wheelbase rides better and handles better.

- Hard top is easier to deal with.

- Better standard axle ratios.

- Real Class IV hitch bolted down both frame rails.

- Better brakes.

- More fuel capacity.

I guess I could go on all day. But the bottom line is unless you're rock crawling the JT is superior in every category or way you can look at vehicles.
Ty. I knew it would be a little bias in the jl forum. I appreciate this answer a ton. I LOVE my jl. I really really do. But, if this can happen I have to consider it. It actually adds features as well, as the jt in question is better equipped

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Ty. I knew it would be a little bias in the jl forum. I appreciate this answer a ton. I LOVE my jl. I really really do. But, if this can happen I have to consider it. It actually adds features as well, as the jt in question is better equipped
I am about to buy a new Wrangler and did consider a JT as well. Because why not? While I think for overlanding it could be the better option, I think pulling a small a off road trailer with a RTT is the long term better option for me. I can store the trailer in my garage when not in use and have my beautiful JL for day trips/off-roading.

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
You have my attention.

JERRY: Can't be done, huh?
GEORGE: The Switch?
JERRY: "The Switch."
GEORGE: Can't be done.

JERRY: And the worst part of course is that she [the JT] also possessed many of the
other qualities prized by the Superficial Man.

I pulled off the switch.

When I had to buy something in 2018 so I could hand down my car to my kids I wanted a JT, but it wasn't out yet so I got a JLU not knowing exactly what to expect. Loved every minute in it. Never even considered a hard top for a minute. Thought I wouldn't take the doors off...wrong! I ran March-September last year without any doors since I worked from home and have a garage.

I also enjoy camping and fishing a lot more than rock crawling. It took me a little while to figure out what vehicle would work best for me.

Fast forward to 2021, I started thinking again about a JT. I have triplets in college and it's no fun moving 3 in and out of dorm rooms in a JLU and a minivan or loading up family of 5 for a beach trip in the JL. This moving thing will continue for quite some time. I've pulled my back loading the JL. I should have been removing the back window.

I figured I couldn't pull it off,. However, when I was able to get a quote from Carvana for the same price I paid for it in 2018 and it had 46k miles now, I was ready to pull the trigger. Sold at a peak price and bought through Tri City at 8.8% under invoice (including a rebate). Win!

Other things that now work better for me or don't:

-Got tired of driving a manual. I really liked my manual, but it was wearing on me. Tired of the recalls on the manual too.

-I might be towing something one day and the towing capacity of the JT is better, especially with an auto. Love the 8 speed; it's so smooth.

-My soft top was developing a hole and would have to be replaced before long. It was the standard sailcloth that came with it. I went with premium on the JT.

-I slept in the JLU on a foam pad wile camping. It's ok for a night or two, but now I have a bed tent and cot for the JT. Should be much more comfortable.

-Like the look of not having plastic side windows, only the rear. It's a little quicker to remove windows and easier to store with the JT.

-The JT soft top is so much easier to remove and it's smaller/lighter (can be stored in the bed in case of rain). Takes about 3 mins to remove using a drill that I keep stored under the seats. I scratched the heck out of my JL removing the soft top by myself.

-I did like running safari mode better in the JL since it has a lot more overhang (windows out) and I didn't care if it got some rain. I could still smoke my cigars in this mode. I'm worried about the rear seats/subwoofer/blue tooth speaker getting soaked in the JT.

-I don't like the man bun look, but I don't see it when I'm driving and the soft top will usually be completely off when it's warm enough. I now have a clear rear view vs the JL though.

Thought I was going to get a JTR, but ended up with a JTM. It's a much better fit for what I'm interested in and it drove better than the JTR (JTM is my daily driver). Love the suspension and the bolstered seats are very comfortable.

Honestly, I really don't get much wandering on the highway compared to my JL. I hope to one day run it out in the desert to see what it can do. For now I can drive slowly on the beach, do some fishing and not injure my back loading up coolers and gear.

I'm very happy with my JT and don't miss my JL at all. I'm more excited to drive the JT than the JL and I was always got excited to get the JL. My daughter is going to get a 2dr JL Willys Sport so I'll still be able to drive a JL (when she'll let me).

I was getting bored with Granite (would have gotten Sting Gray, but it wasn't available in Feb 2018). The Switch also gave me a chance to get a different color. Some before and after pics.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 20210317_133847
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 20210429_150104
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 20210518_184627 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 20210601_185117

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Too long for my garage, and I like my rear wheels to be close to my rear bumper.

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler islander
I was in the market for a JT initially. I decided to go with the JLU. I drove both. The reason we went JLU is... I have stroller aged children and while we have a family car (Honda odyssey), we will obviously take the Jeep too. I thought about parking, ease of use, strollers sliding around in the bed etc...

Plus, with having the van, we keep the third row tucked and I have a factory cargo mat for just that. I fit a 82” tv in the van with it still in the box. Couldn’t do that in a gladiator. The van is perfect for dump runs, certain road trips etc.

I took my older son the dealerships with me. He fell in love with tiki bob and the islander package believing it’s synonymous with crash bandicoot’s tiki.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I needed a pickup, so I traded my 2018 JKUR Recon for a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. It ended being a big mistake.

The worst part for me was losing Wrangler’s maneuverability around town. Something as simple as parking became a daily reminder that a long wheelbase is just not very practical in parking lots.

Then there was losing the convenience of an enclosed cargo area. One rainy day we go to Trader Joe’s and had to toss the groceries in the back seat along with my niece and sister-in-law, or let everything get wet out in the bed.

I realize these are first-world problems. But I didn’t have them with Wrangler. And I hate canopies; I think they detract aesthetically from the whole point of getting a pickup truck in the first place.

Tacoma had its own set of issues —i.e., an anemic engine + transmission combo, a cramped cabin— that had me back in a Wrangler within six months.

I like Gladiator a lot. But having given midsize pickups a try already keeps me from stepping out of my plate. Now I simply rent a utility trailer for that once-a-year chore that involves hauling something bulky.

Sponsored

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
If you could swap your wrangler out, anfyget a jt. Keeping the same payments etc (or pick between a wrangler and jt for same price). Would you? Which would you want, and why?

Torn, as I may be looking at that. I prefer the size of the wrangler, and the departure angle. But the bed may be so useful, and better for camping....
I use a pickup for many things and have a 2019 F-150. So, there was no need for me to purchase the JT. If I could not have both, I would have purchased the JT and dealt with the lower limits it has as a pickup (as compared to my F-150).

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
The vehicle purchase before this one came down to a choice between a Jeep and a truck. Why didn't Jeep just make a truck?

Now that Jeep does make a truck, I didn't give it much consideration. That just wasn't really what I envisioned when I wished for Jeep to make a truck. The proportions are off, aesthetically, and I don't see how that tiny bed could be all that useful. I admire the company formerly known as FCA for having the guts to bring those Homer Simpson designs to market (photo pasted from Google)...

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? 1623149224594

...but for the money, I just didn't see it.

When I bought the Jeep, I kept my half ton truck instead of trading it. After spending a week with the Jeep, I decided to sell my truck. I have a vintage one ton I can use on those rare occasions when I need to haul something big or heavy, and for daily life, the JLU is just better at everything than my half ton truck. Easier on gas, easier to park, cooler looking, exponentially more fun to drive off-road.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
If you could swap your wrangler out, anfyget a jt. Keeping the same payments etc (or pick between a wrangler and jt for same price). Would you? Which would you want, and why?

Torn, as I may be looking at that. I prefer the size of the wrangler, and the departure angle. But the bed may be so useful, and better for camping....
No. When my wife bought her current JLU, she originally considered getting a JT. I looked up the specs and showed her that there would be about 12" clearance between the front bumper and the storage cabinets in our garage. I also asked her why she wanted a pickup truck anyway and she said it would be easier to haul things. I replied that we only haul things that could benefit from the carrying capacity of a truck maybe once every 3 years and we could rent a U-Haul for something like that if we needed to.

She decided on a Wrangler instead.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR

Depends on your needs I guess. Do you need the bed or not. Personally I think the proportions are off, and the extra length would be a liability compared to the benefit.

Edit: I think the best JT by far is the Mojave, due to the dune ready features.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
How's the resale on the JTs? Could you sell the JL to a carvana/vroom for more than what you paid then go and buy a JT at a lower price than what you sold the JL for?
Sponsored