Sponsored

Would you switch to a jt?? Why, or why not?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This seems to be what a lot of people say. But, I don't have a truck for truck stuff. That is part of the issue. I don't do heavy duty truck stuff, but the bed would be nice.
And I'm not bragging about my truck, lol. It's a hooptie. But it does the big bed truck stuff when I need it too. The decision for me is pretty easy: JL for the best off-road experience, shitty Chevy truck for the occasional truck stuff. It's the best of both worlds. No need to compromise on this IMO.
Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I really really really want both. Sort of. A JL 8 package would be perfect. Two doors and a pickup bed. The JT screwed that up. No companies will invest in conversion when there is a pickup already out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? FB307D7F-52E6-42C6-8301-7DE2B70C7E9B

Last edited:

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I really really really want both. Sort of. A JL 8 package would be perfect. Two doors and a pickup bed. The JT screwed that up. No companies will invest in conversion when there is a pickup al out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you switch to a jt??  Why, or why not? FB307D7F-52E6-42C6-8301-7DE2B70C7E9B
This is the only thing that would get me out of a two door Jeep. Literal perfection.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
This seems to be what a lot of people say. But, I don't have a truck for truck stuff. That is part of the issue. I don't do heavy duty truck stuff, but the bed would be nice.
Sounds like you need a utility trailer.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't see myself in a JT. What is it?
A Jeep? Not really.
A truck? Not really.
A SUV? Not really.
An on road vehicle? Not really.
An off road vehicle? Not really.

What exactly is a JT, really?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Sounds like you need a utility trailer.
That is a pretty easy solution, but I think I may prefer the jt for overland setup. Pulling my overland trailer.... well, kind of sucks.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
And I'm not bragging about my truck, lol. It's a hooptie. But it does the big bed truck stuff when I need it too. The decision for me is pretty easy: JL for the best off-road experience, shitty Chevy truck for the occasional truck stuff. It's the best of both worlds. No need to compromise on this IMO.
I didn't take it as bragging. Multiple people have multiple cars for different reasons. Myself included, with first love being corvettes. If I had a truck, I likely would stick to a jl.

Honestly this question only came up because my jl has a high enough trade in, it may put me in a jt for same payments. Jt being slightly nicer on the options, but not crazy. If it does, then I have a decesion to make. Little loss of off road (and I do some moderate stuff, Imogene, ophir, Sedona). I would gain the bed, smoother ride on highway (and 45k miles in 2 years, I do drive it). Just a matter of if it is worth it.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I don't see myself in a JT. What is it?
A Jeep? Not really.
A truck? Not really.
A SUV? Not really.
An on road vehicle? Not really.
An off road vehicle? Not really.

What exactly is a JT, really?
They look sexy as hell topless, doorless and on 37s. Perfect city vehicle for date night or bringing cooler and mtn bikes to the trails. For those that don’t need a real truck and have friends to compliment their lifestyle.

This is the first one I seen back when I had my Mini and wanted one at the time... I almost bought one, but ultimately I went with the 2 door because that’s what I always wanted.

5679F674-5B90-4C2B-B7F4-959B6E0DA56F.jpeg

BE9FD6E6-C641-4083-B23A-30D3CEF2813A.jpeg

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Other than, I guess, the Bronco, there is no true competition for the Wrangler. If you want what it does, your choices are limited. Not so for the JT.

While they may not be an exact comparison to a JT, there are at least 5 mid-sized pickups that can do a lot of what a JT does, often for a lot less. If I were to go truck, the decision to stay Jeep may not be an easy one.

Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I want a Jeep because I want a JEEP (GP, CJ, and Wrangler).

I am fully aware that Jeep has a diverse line, and historically, some of those models have been iconic (Cherokee, Comanche, Grand Cherokee [had 2 myself], Wagoneer, etc).

But, when someone says, "Jeep", what is the FIRST thing that pops into mind for most people? A 2-door, topless, off-road capable factory vehicle. Neither of my Grand Cherokees jump into my mind...but my TJ certainly does.

So, yeah, I'm an old-fashioned traditionalist. I'm not going to say I would never go for a JT.

But I sure as hell ain't choosin' one over a JL when I want a "JEEP"!

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I would not consider trading my JLU for a JT as i just don't find them good looking at all in stock form. Just so damn long and need a lift and big tires to look good.

If they made that 2 dr JT like in the picture a few posts above, then heck yea, i would be adding that to the fleet.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
If you could swap your wrangler out, anfyget a jt. Keeping the same payments etc (or pick between a wrangler and jt for same price). Would you? Which would you want, and why?

Torn, as I may be looking at that. I prefer the size of the wrangler, and the departure angle. But the bed may be so useful, and better for camping....
Assuming payments can remain the same, I would gladly trade in my JLUR for a JTR because:

1. I never off road

2. I can use a flatbed to buy things and not get ripped off on shipping from the IKEA.

3. The rear seat of a JT supposedly has more legroom versus a JLU.

4. Doors and Top are removable for the beach.

5. JTR Still got the looks of a Steel Bumper and the 33s

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you could swap your wrangler out, anfyget a jt. Keeping the same payments etc (or pick between a wrangler and jt for same price). Would you? Which would you want, and why?

Torn, as I may be looking at that. I prefer the size of the wrangler, and the departure angle. But the bed may be so useful, and better for camping....
After 4 Wranglers, once the Gladiator came out I'm on my second one and will never look back.

- Can be configured to literally 100% more payload capacity, which means you can legally carry a family AND your gear. Also means you can legally tow more than 1,000 lbs. and take your family along.

- 6.5' bed with the tailgate down opens up WAYYYY more options.

- Longer wheelbase rides better and handles better.

- Hard top is easier to deal with.

- Better standard axle ratios.

- Real Class IV hitch bolted down both frame rails.

- Better brakes.

- More fuel capacity.

I guess I could go on all day. But the bottom line is unless you're rock crawling the JT is superior in every category or way you can look at vehicles.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I love the JL, but I really want a setup like the ACCC. Having a small space to escape into during high winds and bad weather is ideal for me. Right now I have an AutoHome Columbus on top an LJ. It is great, but it has limits. Just like anything there are pluses and minuses. Just weigh what your needs are. There really is no bad choice.
Sponsored