Sponsored

Would you still buy 4xe today with $11k price difference?

Decreasing Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURubicon XR
Occupation
Retired Federal LEO
Quote: Please provide a summary of the two builds let's see how you get a $9,000 bump.

In Ontario Canada if I build a gas Sahara to match my 4xe, it's a couple of thousands more than my 4xe, plus the gas build is still missing a couple of things not available, like the 2.0 Etorque, not to mention hp/torque, and significant handling improvements over the 2.0 and 3.6 gas Wrangler, I don't know anything about the diesel or 392.

So again please post a summary of your build, I'm not familiar with the Rubicon, but I would be surprised the gas Sahara cost more, but the 4xe Rubicon cost 9k more than the gas equivalent. :Unquote

ok, they are attached. This price is not a full $9,000 difference because my dealership is making me take the $1,000 upgrade wheels. So the difference is now $7905 under MSRP. However, under FWP, the difference is $9010.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you still buy 4xe today with $11k price difference? A531422C-2012-4166-A619-AB9CD3939F79

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you still buy 4xe today with $11k price difference? 2E969D6D-6F7B-44C2-AFB4-914A5BFD5EAD
Sponsored

Johnjohn

First Name
Stevens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Lol you take this stuff so personally. I dont want a 4xe. I prefer a tesla. I dont want this weird hybrid Frankenstein stuff. I dont think it is worth it for 20 miles. How is that so hard to understand, that people like different things. Chill.
Well this is not quite exactly and apples to oranges comparison but let’s break it down. The closest model Tesla to compare with the wrangler is may be a model Y. Now for what a jeep is and is geared towards and what a model Y is geared towards it’s not really the same, never mind that one is all electric and the other ones I mix hybrid.
But for what it’s worth with a jeep hybrid it’s the easing tour of the best of both worlds if you look at it that way. America is not yet ready to Jump in 100% on EV only vehicles. Battery tech is still somewhat premature and charging standards and infrastructure is definitely way behind. At least for Tesla, that’s not quite an problem. Obviously the electric only range is not winning over herds of people, 20 to 25 miles doesn’t really cut it for most and you would have to take a look at in your region or part of the country and compare gas prices to kilowatts per hour to see what you’re really getting.

Johnjohn

First Name
Stevens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
The extra hassle of having a heavy battery for only 20something miles of electric driving. Nah, not worth it. I'd just have a gas jeep and a commuter. I'd rather have a gas Jeep and a Tesla if I was gonna spend the $$$. 4xe is a cool Jeep tho, just not worth it imo. You wont notice a radical increase in capability, if any, over any of the other powertrain platforms. So it really boils down to the electric driving. Meh.

Rnow I have a 2door V6 JL and a 2020 Camry. I own both cars, no payments, life is good.
If you look at it just as “oh I can get by with only electric driving” than you’re missing the point. Electric vehicles do better than gas because of the instant torque. To get this you’d have to have something like a diesel that would offer something comparable to that performance of an electric off the line. So it’s it’s more than just a one trick pony.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Quote: Please provide a summary of the two builds let's see how you get a $9,000 bump.

In Ontario Canada if I build a gas Sahara to match my 4xe, it's a couple of thousands more than my 4xe, plus the gas build is still missing a couple of things not available, like the 2.0 Etorque, not to mention hp/torque, and significant handling improvements over the 2.0 and 3.6 gas Wrangler, I don't know anything about the diesel or 392.

So again please post a summary of your build, I'm not familiar with the Rubicon, but I would be surprised the gas Sahara cost more, but the 4xe Rubicon cost 9k more than the gas equivalent. :Unquote

ok, they are attached. This price is not a full $9,000 difference because my dealership is making me take the $1,000 upgrade wheels. So the difference is now $7905 under MSRP. However, under FWP, the difference is $9010.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you still buy 4xe today with $11k price difference? 2E969D6D-6F7B-44C2-AFB4-914A5BFD5EAD

So $1500 difference based on the fwp, not $11000

Positive Altitude

First Name
Jules
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
MSRP on my 2022 Sahara was $48745. All the groups except Smokers, has softtop, 3.6 Manual, no leather seats or other options. A Sahara 4XE similarly configured is $59,915. The 4XE has the 2.0, and auto transmission, and leather seats, I would say $9000 to $10,000 is pretty good figure for the price difference. I have never had a electric vehicle before is the tax credit a straight $7500 off your tax liability or is it figured in using some type of formula and ends up being less then $7500 when it is all totaled up?
The 7,500 reduces your tax liability, but is non refundable. So if your tax liability is say 10k the credit reduces your tax due to 2500, however if your withholding or estimated tax payments were say only 5k then you’d only receive a 2,500 refund. So your withholding or tax payments would need to exceed the reduced tax liability by 7,500 in order to actually get that much of an actual cash refund.

Sponsored

Decreasing Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURubicon XR
Occupation
Retired Federal LEO
So $1500 difference based on the fwp, not $11000
Yeah, AFTER the rebates and on fwp, but that is not what my original post was asking. Feel free to manipulate it any way you want though.

Btw, it’s still more expensive to buy a 4xe than a gas. Even with your math.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
and on fwp
Yah, if you go off msrp, it's a whole $400 difference.

400 whole dollars gets you an extra 100 hp and 200 ft lbs. And better handling. And the ability to save a significant amount of money in fuel.

Now, if we are talking about leasing, as you said you were, the math changes significantly. That 4xe is going to be a much cheaper lease.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Would like to see the screen that shows miles driven to compute the average, should be further down the options. I can reset mine and take a single screenshot that shows 99 average while coasting
I agree that captured MPG can be manipulated based on the environment and length of the drive. Do you not agree however that an added 800 lbs is going to impact your fuel economy?

Decreasing Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURubicon XR
Occupation
Retired Federal LEO
Yah, if you go off msrp, it's a whole $400 difference.

400 whole dollars gets you an extra 100 hp and 200 ft lbs. And better handling. And the ability to save a significant amount of money in fuel.

Now, if we are talking about leasing, as you said you were, the math changes significantly. That 4xe is going to be a much cheaper lease.
Clearly you spend a lot of time defending the 4xe and your choice in buying it.

I’m not knocking the vehicle, per se, I just don’t think that it’s for everyone. Including me. I thought about it after getting answers here (from less angry people). But the bottom line is that it will cost me more, not only for the vehicle, but also for mods.

I have chosen to go with the JLURXR with the 2.0. I do appreciate everyone’s help in getting me all the info to help me make a more informed decision. Yes, even yours. You are clearly passionate about your choice, just as I am about mine.

Maybe my next Jeep will be a hybrid. We’ll see where technology goes.

Thanks.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
It's less about defending the purchase and more about trying to dispell incorrect information.

People have very strong opinions about what they think the 4xe is and rarely are comparing to what it actually is. Hence threads that say things like a $400 difference is actually an $11000 difference, or things like "when the battery runs out, you're just carrying around useless dead weight."

If the 4xe isn't the right choice for you, that's cool, but make sure it's actually what you're deciding isn't the right choice and not some made up strawman vehicle that doesn't exist.

Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Imo OP's question is fairly irrelevant yet. Of COURSE most people would buy them again, theyre still new and under warranty. I never pay much attention to people's opinions on valuation of new vehicle designs, or really most new product reviews (aside from performance numbers) tbh. Theyre still new and shiny. I think it's further down the line when the warranty is out and there is a reliability history to look back on - that's when things get more real for me. First and foremost is reliability, option values be damned.
Let's see how many would repurchase one in 6-9 yrs.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

I’m not knocking the vehicle, per se, I just don’t think that it’s for everyone. Including me. I thought about it after getting answers here (from less angry people). But the bottom line is that it will cost me more, not only for the vehicle, but also for mods.

I have chosen to go with the JLURXR with the 2.0. I do appreciate everyone’s help in getting me all the info to help me make a more informed decision. Yes, even yours. You are clearly passionate about your choice, just as I am about mine.

Maybe my next Jeep will be a hybrid. We’ll see where technology goes.

Thanks.
I call bs on it being cheaper if you include the $7500 federal tax credit and the $750 state clean air incentive, even if you don’t qualify for the $2,500 state tax credit. Built the way I want it with identical specs, the msrp on a 2023 4XE is $71,375. The msrp on a rubicon XR spec’d out the same is $66,370. That makes the 4XE $63,125 or $3,245 less than the rubicon XR after tax incentives. Granted the XR package gets you a slightly taller suspension than the 4xe, about a half inch from what I gather. A slightly beefed up front axle, and taller KO2’s that I’m not a fan of in any size. For $3k you can easily throw a .5” spacer, the 35’s of your choice,and wheels of your choice on the 4xe even if you keep the factory take offs (or sell them for $1k and upgrade something else). The 4xe will still out brake the XR thanks to the electric motors braking capability. The 4xe will out crawl the XR even with the gearing difference thanks to the 0 rpm torque of the electric motor. For the same money you get a slightly beefed up front axle, less power, less crawlability, and 0 electric range. If you don’t want the complexity that’s fine, it’s not for everyone. The concept that the gas counterpart is cheaper is just false across the board. Even if you drop the XR package, a 2.0t rubicon built the same is $62,375, a whopping $800 difference from the 4xe.

Decreasing Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURubicon XR
Occupation
Retired Federal LEO
It's less about defending the purchase and more about trying to dispell incorrect information.

People have very strong opinions about what they think the 4xe is and rarely are comparing to what it actually is. Hence threads that say things like a $400 difference is actually an $11000 difference, or things like "when the battery runs out, you're just carrying around useless dead weight."

If the 4xe isn't the right choice for you, that's cool, but make sure it's actually what you're deciding isn't the right choice and not some made up strawman vehicle that doesn't exist.
Agreed. Which is why I asked what I asked. It does interest me, but Jeep has never been known for high-tech dependability. At least from what I personally have seen.

I currently own a supercharged, lifted, geared, Toyota Tundra with 260,000 miles on it. It’s paid for. But I fear the future due to its age, and the horsepower that I’ve been putting out of it. I think it will take its toll on the drive components more than the average vehicle. Hence, I’m looking to replace it. I decided that I want anotherJeep.

Fearing the future sucks, and with the yet unproven longevity of the 4xe, I think I will make my next vehicle more to the dependability side. Sans the 2.0. That’s just fun and something that I have some knowledge of.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

I don't know anything about the Rubicon, but I find it strange a 4xe Sahara in Ontario Canada, is cheaper than the 2.0 gas, but in the US the 4xe is more than the gas, maybe in the US the price for the 4xe is higher because of the tax incentives.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

Yeah, AFTER the rebates and on fwp, but that is not what my original post was asking. Feel free to manipulate it any way you want though.

Btw, it’s still more expensive to buy a 4xe than a gas. Even with your math.
Being that your orders show Los Angeles as the purchase location, there is also the state $750 time of purchase discount for clean air vehicles... viola the gas is more expensive no matter how you try to manipulate it. Unless some how you are buying a $60k+ vehicle and have less than ~$30k in taxable income in order to meet the minimum $7500 liability for the tax credit? If that's the case, nobody cares how drug dealers buy their vehicles.
Sponsored