Sponsored

Would you still buy 4xe today with $11k price difference?

SERVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 & 2022 Wrangler 4xe on order
Where is there a $11k difference? Genuinely asking because sticker on my 4xe is $59,625 for a loaded Sahara. Subtract the $7,500 tax credit, % below invoice and if you're lucky enough like me to have an EP code, the price is crazy low. Kinda makes it a no brainer
Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
If you were one of the earlier buyers of the Sahara 4xe, knowing what you know now after a few miles under the belt would you still feel today’s $11k price difference between V6 and 4xe is worth it?

I was not, but I bought the Rubicon 4xe (close enough)- I would still buy it today.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
I would not buy one until Stellantis figures out how to support them. I’ve owned mine for 11 months. It’s been in the shop for the last month. So I have driven it for 10. Out of those 10 months, I had a check engine light for almost 5 months. Between the dealer and the parts availability, the first 2 months went with no resolution. The last 3 months we’re waiting on part availability and dealer availability to install the part.

It is fun to drive when it works. But mine will be sold the second that my new JLU arrives, and I will bid farewell to that experiment.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My build is actually $3K cheaper after the tax credit. But there are some folks who keep popping into the forums and using these really high price differences and then disappear from the thread. It’s like they’re just trying to be misinformed or spread misinformation.
Agreed.

Not only that, the original request was from people who have bought an 4xe, this is the opinion that was being sought, not non-owners who can't contribute about their experiences.

Sigh.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would not buy one until Stellantis figures out how to support them. I’ve owned mine for 11 months. It’s been in the shop for the last month. So I have driven it for 10. Out of those 10 months, I had a check engine light for almost 5 months. Between the dealer and the parts availability, the first 2 months went with no resolution. The last 3 months we’re waiting on part availability and dealer availability to install the part.

It is fun to drive when it works. But mine will be sold the second that my new JLU arrives, and I will bid farewell to that experiment.
Dang! That's not a fun experience.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
From a naming standpoint yes, but not from a feature-function standpoint. If you go a couple of posts up I list a number of the things the Sahara 4xe has standard that the Gas Sahara does not include:

- 3.73 Gears instead of 3.45
- LED Light Package
- Leather seats
- Automatic (Whether or not that's an upgrade I leave to you)
- Selec-Trac 4WD system
- Bigger Axles on the 4xe (if my research is correct)
- $7500 tax credit

the 2.0 eTorque is also part of the list, I think that was a couple of thousand over the 3.6

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Knowing what I know now about my financial situation, I probably could have afforded the base 4xe...

But at the time, the most expensive car I've ever paid for was $18k, and I was trying to keep the Jeep under $40k... and the Sport was the only way for me to keep it under.

So I ordered what I "needed" (hard top, automatic, unlimited) rather than what I wanted.

Instead that extra money is accumulating in a savings account... so between the resale value and the savings... maybe the *next* Jeep will have more wants.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
From a naming standpoint yes, but not from a feature-function standpoint. If you go a couple of posts up I list a number of the things the Sahara 4xe has standard that the Gas Sahara does not include:

- LED Light Package
- Leather seats
- Selec-Trac 4WD system
- $7500 tax credit
In Toronto, Canada it seems it's easier to compare the lack of price difference between a gas Sahara and a 4xe Sahara.

Gas starts at $51,645
4xe starts at $57,495

So the initial difference is $5,850.

Then start to tack on the options listed above, plus the 2.0 eTorque, and it comes out to the same.

I would also add the lack of an alternator and starter to be an option, also include the lack of the Frankenstein Start/Stop as a bonus, along with the serious bump in Hp and Torque.

--edit---

also no more gas pumps, and access to free electric charging in my case.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

- LED Light Package
- Leather seats
- Selec-Trac 4WD system
- $7500 tax credit
Good point. If you build a Sahara to match the options of the 4xe Sahara, the 4xe is about $5,200 more. If you get the $7,500 tax credit that you mention then the 4xe is at about $2,200 less. The argument can be made that some people may not want the upgraes that the 4xe includes but apple to apple, it would appear that the 4xe is a better deal. I think a lot of it comes down to how it will be driven. As a daily driver I think the 4xe makes a lot of sense (for the fuel savings and the incredible 0-60 time). For long distance weekend roadtrips and offroading I would lean away from the 4xe (the added weight and becasue the ROI for the fuel savings ends at 130 miles if not re-charged).

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
For long distance weekend roadtrips and offroading I would lean away from the 4xe (the added weight and becasue the ROI for the fuel savings ends at 130 miles if not re-charged).
I did 50 miles on Sunday in e-save at 75mph and got 22mpg. Is the 2.0 really that much more efficient than that at that speed? Flat highway scenario.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Honestly, I wouldn't buy the 4xe at all-too me it's just another gimmick like the eTorque when I bought my Ram trying to do what I can for the environment yet totally useless. Hopefully you didn't do it. the 2021 JLUR 4cyl 2.0t is doing just fine for what I do. even though I considered that 392 LOL. Keep the Jeep wave going.
I also don’t care for a lot of the extra luxury items forced with the 4xe… But the base 2.0L in my parents Sahara gets pretty impressive economy, consistently mid 20s.

Texas1835

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Would I buy the 4xe again? Definitely.

I've had no problems with it and it's fun to drive. I have a very short commute and it's perfect for me.

Would I pay an extra $11,000 for it? I don't see where these numbers are coming from.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I would probably just move on up to the 392.
Except the 392 is $25k more than a 4xe. If only the 4xe were a solid mature product backed by a company that had adequate spares and properly trained technicians. It would be killer.

Would I buy the 4xe again? Definitely.

I've had no problems with it and it's fun to drive. I have a very short commute and it's perfect for me.

Would I pay an extra $11,000 for it? I don't see where these numbers are coming from.
They aren't real numbers. Once you consider the $7500 tax credit, the 4xe is less money. I guess the only way it could be even close is if the buyer wants a strippy sport and if forced to get all the toys with the 4xe.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
So I think it depends on options. The 4xe has a lot built in. Configured what I bought last December in both styles and the 3.6L Auto was $59,765 and the 4xe was $64,375. So the 4xe is actually cheaper because you get the $7500 back on that as well. 4xe has leather seats, LED lights, 3.73 gears and a couple other things that you would have to option on a regular Sahara.

Things to keep in mind. FORM sucks if you live somewhere cold, but you still get a ton of HP and torque. Gear upgrades don’t go past 4.10. So contemplate what upgrades you might make. 40s on a 4xe don’t seem like the best idea until the gear issue is sorted.
Thanks for pointing that out. I went back to the configurator and saw that the comparably equipped Pentastar Sahara is not so far from the 4xe. That brings it much closer to a preference decision than a relative value for money decision.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks for pointing that out. I went back to the configurator and saw that the comparably equipped Pentastar Sahara is not so far from the 4xe. That brings it much closer to a preference decision than a relative value for money decision.
Yeah, they just really aren't the same trim line at all from a starter configuration perspective. They just reused the naming. So spec out what you want and then decide. But the 4xe is a powerful engine that doesn't really have a gas equivalent, unless you go with much more power in the 392.
Sponsored