Sponsored

Would you still buy 4xe today with $11k price difference?

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
If you were one of the earlier buyers of the Sahara 4xe, knowing what you know now after a few miles under the belt would you still feel today’s $11k price difference between V6 and 4xe is worth it?
Sponsored

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
So I think it depends on options. The 4xe has a lot built in. Configured what I bought last December in both styles and the 3.6L Auto was $59,765 and the 4xe was $64,375. So the 4xe is actually cheaper because you get the $7500 back on that as well. 4xe has leather seats, LED lights, 3.73 gears and a couple other things that you would have to option on a regular Sahara.

Things to keep in mind. FORM sucks if you live somewhere cold, but you still get a ton of HP and torque. Gear upgrades don’t go past 4.10. So contemplate what upgrades you might make. 40s on a 4xe don’t seem like the best idea until the gear issue is sorted.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I’d do the 2.0t over the 3.6, but I definitely would tend toward a 4xe even if the difference was $3500 (11-7.5)

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I would probably buy a lower optioned Rubicon (2 or 4 door) and build it to be more of a weekend rig. Then buy a Prius Prime for a commuter beater… I can’t see buying a 4xe.

I should note. Now that I accepted a job, where I would have a short commute where a 4xe could make sense. The price increased is a lot… I could pay for the Prius Prime for the difference.

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
If you were one of the earlier buyers of the Sahara 4xe, knowing what you know now after a few miles under the belt would you still feel today’s $11k price difference between V6 and 4xe is worth it?
I would probably just move on up to the 392.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is that a $11,000 increase over the same gas trim level? If the 4xe goes 25 miles on a charge, vs 25mpg of gas, with gas at let’s say $5 per gallon. It would take charging it 2,200 times before there is a return on investment of $11,000 (assuming that the charging was free). Do this once a day and it would take 6 years for the ROI. Also take into account if you take it further than 25 miles between charges you are getting less miles per gallon than the gas V6 because of the extra battery weight (800 lbs?) that you are carrying in the back seat.

Based on what I said above I would say that it is not worth it; however, it is obvious that as a planet we are going the direction of electric vehicles, we have seen what has happened to gas prices in the past 6 months, and having the option to run either electric or gas as a daily driver might soon become a very coveted luxury.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Is that a $11,000 increase over the same gas trim level? If the 4xe goes 25 miles on a charge, vs 25mpg of gas, with gas at let’s say $5 per gallon. It would take charging it 2,200 times before there is a return on investment of $11,000 (assuming that the charging was free). Do this once a day and it would take 6 years for the ROI. Also take into account if you take it further than 25 miles between charges you are getting less miles per gallon than the gas V6 because of the extra battery weight (800 lbs?) that you are carrying in the back seat.

Based on what I said above I would say that it is not worth it; however, it is obvious that as a planet we are going the direction of electric vehicles, we have seen what has happened to gas prices in the past 6 months, and having the option to run either electric or gas as a daily driver might soon become a very coveted luxury.
The 4xe is eligible for up to $7,500 tax credit and I imagine most people at the 4xe price point (more so the Rubicon trim $59k with destination) would be eligible. So that would change the numbers around a bit... But yea, the rough math to me doesn’t seem to be worth it for me. I also worry about the reliability for the complex system and FCA/Stellantis being behind it.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The 4xe comes with a fair bit of options standard, when I price it out, it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper than buying the equivalent gas with the same options, this is in Toronto, Canada.

That said I would pay not to have that dreaded stop/start, and buried tiny battery.

The 4xe handles significantly better on the road, especially cornering than my previous 2018 v6 JL.

Last edited:

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
When I priced out our 4xe Sahara last summer it was cheaper than a comparable non hybrid model with similar option once the tax credit was accounted for. Our rough math was an msrp of just under 62k, selling price of 56k, and the 7500 tax credit which brought us down to 48.5k. At the time the used comparable models were even selling for more than that.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Is that a $11,000 increase over the same gas trim level?
From a naming standpoint yes, but not from a feature-function standpoint. If you go a couple of posts up I list a number of the things the Sahara 4xe has standard that the Gas Sahara does not include:

- 3.73 Gears instead of 3.45
- LED Light Package
- Leather seats
- Automatic (Whether or not that's an upgrade I leave to you)
- Selec-Trac 4WD system
- Bigger Axles on the 4xe (if my research is correct)
- $7500 tax credit

Edit to include: Upgrade from 270HP to 375 HP and 295 to 470 lb-ft of torque

Last edited:

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
From a naming standpoint yes, but not from a feature-function standpoint. If you go a couple of posts up I list a number of the things the Sahara 4xe has standard that the Gas Sahara does not include:

- 3.73 Gears instead of 3.45
- LED Light Package
- Leather seats
- Automatic (Whether or not that's an upgrade I leave to you)
- Selec-Trac 4WD system
- Bigger Axles on the 4xe (if my research is correct)
- $7500 tax credit
+ 375 hp / 470 ft lbs.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back to the summer of '21, I'd tell Past Ricky to go for the 4xe Rubicon in a heartbeat.

I'd also tell him to buy crypto but be ready to sell quickly. Probably also give him a lottery # or two...

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
What $11,000 difference???

I did 4xe builds vs 2.0 and 3.6 builds many, many times and when you add the options you get with the 4xe to the other ones (in other words you equip them as close to each other as possible), then subtract the $7500 tax credit, THEY'RE NEARLY THE SAME PRICE. Try it.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Honestly, I wouldn't buy the 4xe at all-too me it's just another gimmick like the eTorque when I bought my Ram trying to do what I can for the environment yet totally useless. Hopefully you didn't do it. the 2021 JLUR 4cyl 2.0t is doing just fine for what I do. even though I considered that 392 LOL. Keep the Jeep wave going.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
What $11,000 difference???

I did 4xe builds vs 2.0 and 3.6 builds many, many times and when you add the options you get with the 4xe to the other ones (in other words you equip them as close to each other as possible), then subtract the $7500 tax credit, THEY'RE NEARLY THE SAME PRICE. Try it.
My build is actually $3K cheaper after the tax credit. But there are some folks who keep popping into the forums and using these really high price differences and then disappear from the thread. It’s like they’re just trying to be misinformed or spread misinformation.
Sponsored