Would you sell now or later

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Is anyone keeping a google sheet with historical pricing / offers? Here is mine. 2018 JLUR, Leather, LED, Infotainment, Steel Bumper, Floormats, 850RE, remote start and the upgraded wheels.

DateMSRPVroom OfferReduction $Days b/t offers
8/30/2018​
$53,650​
$-​
21-Dec​
$43,398​
$10,252​
1209​
5-Jan​
$42,788​
$(610)​
15​
14-Jan​
$40,063​
$(2,725)​
9​
3-Feb​
$39,715​
$(348)​
20​
Are you getting quotes from any other buyers? Carvana or CarMax?
Sponsored

sparky321977

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe. ordered 2022 4xe rubi and 2022 Wildtrak
12K, very nice. If I may ask, what was ur MSRP.
Mine was $37K and I made $5,500
it was a 4xe lease so numbers are skewed a little as CCAP took the tax incentive off the front end. but also got it at 4% below invoice so that helped

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Willy the Heep
Are you getting quotes from any other buyers? Carvana or CarMax?
I got one from Carvana and one from Carmax. Carvana came in at $36,391 and Carmax if I recall was around 35-36 also. I did not get another one from them.

DateMSRPCarvanaVroom OfferVroom reduction $Vroom days b/t offers
8/30/2018​
$53,650​
$-​
21-Dec​
$36,391​
$43,398​
$10,252​
1209​
5-Jan​
$42,788​
$(610)​
15​
14-Jan​
$40,063​
$(2,725)​
9​
3-Feb​
$39,715​
$(348)​
20​

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I just did the annual registration on my 20 JL. The Commonwealth says it’s worth $5k MORE than I paid when new…. If you sell check local markets and the big guys like Carvana, etc. to find what your rig is worth where You live..

Sponsored

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Not to be a Debbie Downer but there are no guarantees in life. The Jeep could be stolen or damaged in a crash, vandalized, or just hit by a natural disaster. The tranny or engine could granade on you. Selling the Jeep means saving on insurance, maintenance, and gas too. The funds could be used on FanDuel placing a bet on the SuperBowl or to buy Meta stock. Feel lucky?

The idea of thinking or treating a used car as an investment is a crazy bleep on the radar and it will disappear. I would sell and keep the dough. Best to be sure than to bet on futures. YMMV

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Wanted to get the perspective of other forum members.

I decided to order a 22 and sell my current JLU. I put it on the market and received an in offer for 1,700 under KBB private value. If I sell now, I'll have to share a car until my 22 arrives with my wife. She is fully supportive so I'm OK with this approach. The decision I'm debating is based on forecasts that used car prices will increase again in the first quarter, should I just wait until my 22 is built and try to sell then or lock in the reasonable offer now. What would you do?
One thing to keep in mind is the loss of the "tax credit" when the old vehicle is "traded in" as part of the sales transaction since most states have a 5% or 6% sales tax on car purchases. This is an important consideration with high value cars being replaced.

If your Jeep is worth $30K and sell it privately and then turn around to buy a new car you stand to "lose" the $1500 to $1800 from the "tax credit" that would have been afforded by the trade-in value. In this situation the real value of the Jeep's private sale is more like $28,200 to $28,500 and not $30K because the $30K you bring to the table a month later will have to pay that sales tax.

The strategy is to know the value of your car and negotiate it in the sale transaction knowing you have a 5% or 6% gap between what a private party is offering and what the dealer offers as trade-in. If the private party offers $30K and the dealer only offers $29K for the Jeep you will still be $500 to $800 ahead due to the "tax credit" afforfded by the $29K trade in value.

Given the current market I think using the Jeep as trade-in will yield more value if you can state your case at the table.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
try a quote through Driveway.com.

They offered me $4,000 more than Vroom, and they send you your payment before they pick up the vehicle.

They're giving me $10K more than i bought my jeep for, so im selling it to them lol

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
One thing to keep in mind is the loss of the "tax credit" when the old vehicle is "traded in" as part of the sales transaction since most states have a 5% or 6% sales tax on car purchases. This is an important consideration with high value cars being replaced.

If your Jeep is worth $30K and sell it privately and then turn around to buy a new car you stand to "lose" the $1500 to $1800 from the "tax credit" that would have been afforded by the trade-in value. In this situation the real value of the Jeep's private sale is more like $28,200 to $28,500 and not $30K because the $30K you bring to the table a month later will have to pay that sales tax.

The strategy is to know the value of your car and negotiate it in the sale transaction knowing you have a 5% or 6% gap between what a private party is offering and what the dealer offers as trade-in. If the private party offers $30K and the dealer only offers $29K for the Jeep you will still be $500 to $800 ahead due to the "tax credit" afforfded by the $29K trade in value.

Given the current market I think using the Jeep as trade-in will yield more value if you can state your case at the table.
Totally agree with the above points. My state is unique where I can sell to dealer or privately and apply the sale as a credit for up to 90 days on a purchase. Rolled the dice that the new Jeep will be ready within 13 weeks from order. May not go my way, but wanted to lock what I thought was a fair value.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
try a quote through Driveway.com.

They offered me $4,000 more than Vroom, and they send you your payment before they pick up the vehicle.

They're giving me $10K more than i bought my jeep for, so im selling it to them lol
I recently sold a Wrangler to Driveway. They were a pleasure to deal with--in my case, they brought the paperwork and check right to the pickup. Initially, Driveway was slightly lower than Vroom and Cargurus, but then Vroom and Cargurus dropped significantly out of the blue, while Driveway stuck to their offer. Sold.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I recently sold a Wrangler to Driveway. They were a pleasure to deal with--in my case, they brought the paperwork and check right to the pickup. Initially, Driveway was slightly lower than Vroom and Cargurus, but then Vroom and Cargurus dropped significantly out of the blue, while Driveway stuck to their offer. Sold.
Great to hear. They’ve been good to deal with for me as well. How long did it take you util they picked up your Jeep? They told me they’ll send my paperwork out to me on 2/14, if not earlier. I started the process about 2 weeks ago am expecting the entire process to be finished by end of February

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro

I think this is valid in a lot of cases and thanks for alerting people to it. Dealers in our adjoining state use this to screw people on their trades daily. In the end the customer might come out even, but the dealer cleans up on late model trades.

In my state, they allow for a credit of the old vehicle sales price, be it to a dealer, Carvana type business or private sale for what they reference as a "replacement vehicle" purchased up to 6 months before or after the actual sale.

My Hella goes to Carvana next week, so I'll have 6 months to get the 22 Hydro locked and loaded. Since I'm getting $500 more for my stripper 21 Sport than I'm paying for my fancier 22 Sport S, my tax liability will be zero. 🙃

However, if it doesn't show in the next month or so, gonna be a lot more problems for Jeep/My dealer than the tax credit.

Just build my f'n Jeep already please and thank you.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
Great to hear. They’ve been good to deal with for me as well. How long did it take you util they picked up your Jeep? They told me they’ll send my paperwork out to me on 2/14, if not earlier. I started the process about 2 weeks ago am expecting the entire process to be finished by end of February
Once we agreed on the price, I basically texted them photos of my driver’s license, registration, odometer and title. Had that all to them by I’d say a Wednesday or Thursday. We scheduled the pick-up for that following Monday. Their guy took an Uber out, showed up with the paperwork and check, took a quick inspection of the Wrangler and then we took a quick test drive around the block. They had my Wrangler and I had my check in the span of about 30-45 minutes.

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landy 110, 2014, 1.8T Golf GTI 2001, Audi Q5 2013,
even though sold out in December 22 i mess around to get benchmarking + validate i made correct decision
Vroom
11/23 $48,500
11/30 $45,451
12/ $42,500
02/03 $38,845

I sold out at $47K end of December - anyways - above is what i am seeing from same online dealer - KBB have trended down about $3K - BMW who bought my 2019 Sahara have dropped their sales price from $53,995 to $51,831 in 5 weeks

My opinion remains to go to Autonation - they were quoting good purchase rates
BMW have now reduced my 2019 Wrangler tp $48,831 - only $1831 more than i sold to them for - surprised its not sold - low 14K Miles, and mint condition although they have advertised as manual in error
Sponsored