Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It’s hard to predict what the markets will do. If you can live with one vehicle and get a good offer now sell it; if not, hold onto it and sell it closer to when you take delivery of your new Jeep.

Good luck!
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
so - that only works if the dealers are willing to price match and be honest - i have found they want to low ball if they have an order from you , and hold you hostage knowing you want the tax credit - & you only possibly find that out when you rock up to trade in.

I got $47K but dealer who i am ordering from only wanted to offer $42K, and then next morning $43K - Cost to change $4750 for order/dealer trade in.

Autonation on a cost to change basis were very close to being comptetive by offering Invoice Price and $45K which i think i could have pushed to $46K - Cost to change $4K

Mac Haik - MRSP 52250, $46K - Cost to change $6,250 (reckon i could have got them to Invoice price )

By going highest offer $47K + lowest purchase $47,400+ Tax - MY cost to change is around $3750
You’ve got the knowledge then to work it out!
I’m waiting for my car to arrive, then I’ll break my advice and sell the 4 door if I get enough equity to order a 2 door and eliminate my car payment by paying cash. That’s worth the “hit” of not getting the tax advantage for trade in to my particular circumstances.

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landy 110, 2014, 1.8T Golf GTI 2001, Audi Q5 2013,
i have also seen the KBB prices slide down this last 3 weeks, and GMTV rep who i chatted to, over a few weeks, advised auction prices were going down, and to grab best offer on whoever was offering even if it was not him
Vroom started off @ $48.5 middle of November and worked there way down to $45, & $42 over the course of 4 weeks (all uninspected)

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ve got the knowledge then to work it out!
I’m waiting for my car to arrive, then I’ll break my advice and sell the 4 door if I get enough equity to order a 2 door and eliminate my car payment by paying cash. That’s worth the “hit” of not getting the tax advantage for trade in to my particular circumstances.
my only advice would be to consider to hawk jeep round same dealership but different franchise - few autonations all told me they could beat what is being offered by the prior inspected dealership of autonation -autonation had the same consistent pricing best offers

my purchasing dealer initially wanted to offer me $38K as a trade in ...............

Deleted member 59498

My KBB went up, along with Vroom, Givemeyourvin etc. KBB is a bit ridiculous in my opinion and don't not think it is accurate, seems way over actual value.

Like any market you can get best forecast of the future but no one knows. If I had a second car I would sell now instead of waiting just because I personally don't think value will go up much higher but it could fall.

My dealer estimated 50k give or take for trade in. But since I don't trust dealers at all, they could go back on that since it is estimate.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thanks guys. I have a 2021 JLU with only 6k on the Odo. My new Jeep was ordered through Chapman's at 5 percent below invoice.

I think I'll be patient and see what happens over the next few weeks. There is a tax advantage in waiting as my state allows me to credit my sale from the purchase irrespective whether it was to the same dealer or even a private party (just has to be done within 90 days of sale).

Frankly, seeing used car values where they are, I was just tempted to realize that ahead of the 22 arriving, but sometimes it pays to be patient.

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I have a 2021 JLU with only 6k on the Odo. My new Jeep was ordered through Chapman's at 5 percent below invoice.

I think I'll be patient and see what happens over the next few weeks. There is a tax advantage in waiting as my state allows me to credit my sale from the purchase irrespective whether it was to the same dealer or even a private party (just has to be done within 90 days of sale).

Frankly, seeing used car values where they are, I was just tempted to realize that ahead of the 22 arriving, but sometimes it pays to be patient.
damn - thats a whole different ball game - i could have been at $400 cost to change + Doc fee, if i had that available - you should wait then - that is $3K price drop, and you are still even by catching the tax credit

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
Carmax offered me $4K more than carvana, $6K more than vroom so I sold my 2018 to them Thursday. I've sold a couple of cars to them now. They do a really nice job. Professional, no hassle, fast. Seems to me that prices are falling, so went ahead and did it now.

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Just ordered a 22. Dealership where I purchased my 20 from offered me 32,250 on trade-in. AutoNation offered me 39,500. No brainer which one I’m going with. Now, I need to wait a few weeks and I fully realize AN may not come back with the same offer. Whatever it might be I’m 100% certain it will be more than the dealership.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Id wait. I doubt the price you get will be much different. It will sell quickly.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If someone here has a crystal ball, you should listen to them. Since they are able to predict the future, they should be able to predict the stock market too. Follow them to the ends of earth. Otherwise, do what works for you, what you want to do.

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just ordered a 22. Dealership where I purchased my 20 from offered me 32,250 on trade-in. AutoNation offered me 39,500. No brainer which one I’m going with. Now, I need to wait a few weeks and I fully realize AN may not come back with the same offer. Whatever it might be I’m 100% certain it will be more than the dealership.
can you not order from Autonation with Jeep franchise so capture the tax credit ? - they should already have you locked in that they have made this offer ? i was getting different AN to look up the inspection i had at 1

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
damn - thats a whole different ball game - i could have been at $400 cost to change + Doc fee, if i had that available - you should wait then - that is $3K price drop, and you are still even by catching the tax credit
Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. In an ideal world, I would receive my 22 within 90 days so even if I would have sold now, still realize the tax credit, but I'd be surprised if the 22 doesn't take longer. My guess is 4 months, which is similar to what the dealer mentioned as well. So if prices remain at current levels for another 1-3 months, I should be OK.

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. In an ideal world, I would receive my 22 within 90 days so even if I would have sold now, still realize the tax credit, but I'd be surprised if the 22 doesn't take longer. My guess is 4 months, which is similar to what the dealer mentioned as well. So if prices remain at current levels for another 1-3 months, I should be OK.
I read up a whole load of kak, and multiple articles advising prices will hold - but my concern was that would be for the exact same vehicle. ie 2 years old today, 2 years old in 5 months time which it wont be, and might go through step changes on age, warranty etc - and being bird in the hand, accepted what was a good deal - 2.75 years use, trading into a $2K value increase based on MRSP, and new vehicle to sell in 2-3 years time when i move back abroad - Sahara and Rubicon both spec'd out with with a view to sell, because know it will come around 1 time or another.

My dealer said 20-24 weeks, but think they are setting expectations so not over promising - I'm expecting 3-4 months, and hoping it does not arrive early because i will be abroad for 7 weeks. Although i beleive Rubicons/Sahara's/394/4Xe will be prioritised for manufacture - less profit, base spec pushed to back of the queue

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I ordered my very basic Sport on August 2nd and it was just delivered on December 13th.

If things get worse and it takes 6 months to build yours, the value of your current vehicle will rise as well.

The dealer that I ordered mine from is selling used Wranglers for several thousand more than I paid for mine.

My mom paid $42k for her Cayenne Hybrid the summer of 2020, she can get $60k for it now.

I bought my 2013 Tiguan in 2016 for $16k... it looked brand new and had 49K miles... I traded it in with 162K miles with a scratched up bumper, dent on the tailgate, balding tires, and a turbo going bad, and the dealer is asking $9,500 for it.

Basically, if the shortage continues, your value will only go up... if it's delivered quickly, the price shouldn't change much.

I think you have nothing to lose by keeping it.
Sponsored