Sponsored

Would you recommend the Ecodiesel for my use case listed below? I am on the fence.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Get it, and enjoy it, especially top/doorless.

I mean, spring's not too far away, and you'll definitely get additional stares and praise when they hear the clatter instead of the usual gasoline noises, plus you'll probably hardly fill it up
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
BTW, listen to their feed back, but don't pay too much attention to the diesel critics. I ordered one of the first Penastars in the Fall of 2011 and the EXACT same negativity (it's made in Italy, it's unproven) existed then. I suspect that folks who are now decrying the EcoDiesel were many of the same ones who were so sceptical about the Pentastar. They flipping love the Pentastar now. History repeats itself.
Forums tend to show an exaggerated problems scenario. Because people tend to join forums to research the problems by googling in their symptoms or concerns and are directed here by the search results. But there is a big silent majority out there who have no issues.
And this applies to all other vehicle brands out there. Go to Tacoma or 4Runner forums, and you will see a ton of problems there too.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The diesel upfront cost, maintenance cost, fuel cost, DEF cost, and all the other costs that go along with it would make it a very poor choice for you. But like someone else said if you just want it because you want it, then go for it.

Do yourself a favor and browse through some of the owners groups including the 3rd Generation EcoDiesel group on facebook and you'll get a good feel for what the known issues are with this engine and what some of the fixes have been.
WXman, I get (and agree to a large extent) with your points, but the "fuel cost" comment confuses me. How is the fuel cost a negative? I've paid $1.699/gallon at most of my fill-ups and the mileage 25%+ better than my previous Pentastar.

???

Last edited:

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
WXman, I get (and agree to a large extent) with your points, but the "fuel cost" comment confuses me. How is the fuel cost a negative? I've paid $169.9/gallon at most of my fill-ups and the mileage 25%+ better than my previous Pentastar.

???
$169.90 a gallon seems high. I’d sell mine if I had to pay that much :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
BTW, listen to their feed back, but don't pay too much attention to the diesel critics. I ordered one of the first Penastars in the Fall of 2011 and the EXACT same negativity (it's made in Italy, it's unproven) existed then. I suspect that folks who are now decrying the EcoDiesel were many of the same ones who were so sceptical about the Pentastar. They flipping love the Pentastar now. History repeats itself.
So true. The 3.6 Pentastar is now considered one of the longest lasting and reliable Gas engines for not just FCA but the entire Automotive Industry.

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
With the low mileage you could lease the 4XE and likely get a better deal up front and lower operating costs without the risk of any long-term concerns from a first year model. If you just really want a diesel, get the diesel.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
With the low mileage you could lease the 4XE and likely get a better deal up front and lower operating costs without the risk of any long-term concerns from a first year model. If you just really want a diesel, get the diesel.
I honestly really just want a Diesel. But the thought of leasing a 4XE has crossed my mind a couple of times too.
Sponsored