Sponsored

Would you recommend the Ecodiesel for my use case listed below? I am on the fence.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Wife and I are looking at getting a JLU Base Sport model. I want to get an Ecodiesel because I like hearing that Diesel Clatter and the perceived long term reliability of Diesel Engines. I am more than willing to put in the $6k premium if it can be justified. But our use case has me confused.

Both of our jobs are very local (under a 5 mile radius from home). We therefore usually put less than 4k miles a year on our vehicles. As an example we picked up my 2020 JLUR Pentastar/8 speed in Sept of 2019. As of today (Jan 2021) we have less than 5500 miles on it.

Our parents/siblings however live in Queens and that is a 45 minute Highway ride for us one way. We usually do that every weekend or every other.

I will like me a diesel but given our use case, I am confused whether we should or not because wont be driving that diesel the way it should be driven: regula long trips. Hoping this thread can help decide. Maybe we should consider leasing an Ecodiesel?
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
If you want a diesel just because, then get it. I have heard if you don't regularly stretch it's legs you can run into some issues, but I would think a once a week 45 minute drive would be sufficient.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If you want a diesel just because, then get it. I have heard if you don't regularly stretch it's legs you can run into some issues, but I would think a once a week 45 minute drive would be sufficient.
Early on that seemed to be a regularly vocalized concern, but short trip phobia seems to have subsided. My driving pattern is as short as the OP's and the soot builds and then regenerates off - no issues. I average 5 active regens per thousand miles. And...when I do take a 45 minute sustained highway drive, the soot is slow in burning off on its own in any case.

I would suspect that very few of us are enjoying anything near passive-only regeneration.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
one thing to consider with your short commutes is the battery: diesels, in particular take a lot of juice to start, I had a friend who does road service for AAA tell me that, for the amount of juice it takes to start a diesel, you need to run it at least 20-30 minutes to replace that juice you just used starting it. any less, and you're slowly, over time, depleting your battery

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I have ordered 1 and here are my reasons: Quality of a diesel motor. Low end torque for off road. Uniqueness of having a diesel in a Rubi. AND this will probably be the last vehicle I ever buy for myself. NOW to be completely honest... Will I off road it enough to get the benefit of the torque? Possibly. Will I keep this vehicle until I am worm food? YES! Will I get any savings being a long term owner? Most likely. WAS this also an emotional purchase more so than a need? YEP! Dig deep and try to figure out your true needs and motivations. Just be honest with yourself.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Most of my travels are short hops. These new diesels are set up to be pretty well idiot proof as far as regen management. I fell in love with the torque at first drive, and it only seems to get better as time goes on. I now look for reasons to get out and take a ride.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The diesel upfront cost, maintenance cost, fuel cost, DEF cost, and all the other costs that go along with it would make it a very poor choice for you. But like someone else said if you just want it because you want it, then go for it.

Do yourself a favor and browse through some of the owners groups including the 3rd Generation EcoDiesel group on facebook and you'll get a good feel for what the known issues are with this engine and what some of the fixes have been.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
My philosophy is, you only live once, and if you can afford it, indulge in what you want. It is just a material thing. Down the road if you don't like it, or don't want it anymore, just replace it.

Sponsored

flyingyogi

First Name
yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep sahara ecodiesel
I only drive 8 miles to work one way. and then I add a longer trip usually every other week. I bought JLURD in April and I just got to 3700 miles. I foresee having to change the oil due to age and not milage. I never have had an issue with the regen or even gotten an message. I do notice that the start stop doesn't activate due to charging, but that usually fixes itself on the longer trips.

I would buy the diesel again even if my commute would be shorter. It is so much fun to drive and the mileage is just phenomenal for a wrangler. The same mileage as my Subaru outback but a lot more power.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I only drive 8 miles to work one way. and then I add a longer trip usually every other week. I bought JLURD in April and I just got to 3700 miles. I foresee having to change the oil due to age and not milage. I never have had an issue with the regen or even gotten an message. I do notice that the start stop doesn't activate due to charging, but that usually fixes itself on the longer trips.

I would buy the diesel again even if my commute would be shorter. It is so much fun to drive and the mileage is just phenomenal for a wrangler. The same mileage as my Subaru outback but a lot more power.
Main reason why I want one is because I was raised in Rural India until I was a teenager. It was hard to find a Petrol Car in Rural India back then (I am a 90s kid). I therefore love hearing that Diesel Clatter.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I really love getting in the Jeep on a chilly morning, hitting the start button and hearing that thing come to life. Even better is when first shifting into drive. The engine starts to sound angry and feels like it's trying to twist the suspension out of shape. :jk:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wife and I are looking at getting a JLU Base Sport model. I want to get an Ecodiesel because I like hearing that Diesel Clatter and the perceived long term reliability of Diesel Engines. I am more than willing to put in the $6k premium if it can be justified. But our use case has me confused.

Both of our jobs are very local (under a 5 mile radius from home). We therefore usually put less than 4k miles a year on our vehicles. As an example we picked up my 2020 JLUR Pentastar/8 speed in Sept of 2019. As of today (Jan 2021) we have less than 5500 miles on it.

Our parents/siblings however live in Queens and that is a 45 minute Highway ride for us one way. We usually do that every weekend or every other.

I will like me a diesel but given our use case, I am confused whether we should or not because wont be driving that diesel the way it should be driven: regula long trips. Hoping this thread can help decide. Maybe we should consider leasing an Ecodiesel?
BTW, listen to their feed back, but don't pay too much attention to the diesel critics. I ordered one of the first Penastars in the Fall of 2011 and the EXACT same negativity (it's made in Italy, it's unproven) existed then. I suspect that folks who are now decrying the EcoDiesel were many of the same ones who were so sceptical about the Pentastar. They flipping love the Pentastar now. History repeats itself.
Sponsored