Sponsored

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

• Total voters

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Short answer, “no”. A teenager needs to learn some humility at that age so a cheap used car is good enough. If parents had some disposable income, then maybe something like a Honda Civic or small SUV. If they deserved it of course. I didn’t have shit at 16 and got my first POS 84 Nissan Sentra at 19.
Sponsored

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
you need a car to get to work. You need a job to buy a car. We can debate the philosophy of what a parent should or shouldn’t do all day, and never agree. The question is, is a wrangler a good car for a kid? I argue yes.

The very nature of a Jeep lends to slower driving. The visibility is very good. Real world crash fatality data shows the wrangler to be incredibly safe to its occupants. They can easily be worked on at home. Resale value is very good, even in rough shape. Very few downsides.
I agree, Jeeps are a good vehicle. I am offering my opinion that working for something instead of being given it can lead to better results. I've seen fewer spoiled kids that had earned their stuff. They don't seem to think that they are entitled to everything.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I'm oldschool so my opinion is... if the 16 year old is mature enough to drive then let them get a JOB and work for it. If they have to pay for it they might respect it more and take better care of it and themselves.
I disagree. And this goes for more than just cars, but everything i own. When i was growing up id baby everything my dad bought for me, including his vehicle i drove.

Once i started making my own money i started neglecting everything i bought because i no longer felt i was disrespecting him. Its probably just a phase but i think everyone needs to experience destroying their belongings from hard usage because its just so fun. Its like waxing a jeep and garaging it when it rains vs taking it mudding and driving into mud pits at 60kmh. Both are fun to the same person, but at different points in life.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Maybe my neighbor liked my Rubi parked in my driveway, but they just bought a 2-door JL for their 16-year old daughter. They liked the robust bumpers for the high school parking lot, and they noted that the back seat, being difficult to enter/exit, wasn't so hospitable to teens riding in the back.

Oh, yes, they liked my Sunrider, too. One of those will probably be on in the Spring...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I never got past the question of whether to have a 16 year old. What box do I check? 😂

Sponsored

MORubi

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Construction
I would say yes. I got a 6 year old TJ that had wheels, tires, and a lift along with really low miles. I had to have a job to afford the full coverage insurance which btw, is super high for a young kid on one of these things. They aren’t the safest by any means and not the most reliable, but it allowed me to spend time with my dad and brother learning how to wrench a little, learn routine maintenance on a vehicle, and was great bonding time with them.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
They don’t have to have a new one. Start em with a YJ or a TJ. Cheap enough to not be a huge hassle if it gets wrecked and old enough to teach them how to fix things.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My wife said to me a few nights ago “our daughter should learn to drive in the 392.” I almost choked on dinner. My daughter will be getting an older 4 banger. They run forever, she can’t hurt it and it will be a convertible since we live in CA. I’m thinking two doors so there isn’t room for boys to try anything.
You might be surprised how fast those teen boys can jump into a convertible. They wont be using the doors. Better go with a hard top.

Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Sure but only if they worked hard and studied hard. They have to be able to afford the jeep because I won't flat out buy one for my child. I've worked hard for everything I have in my life and I raised my daughter the same way....

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My oldest is 10 now. My Dad started with Jeeps, I'm carrying it on, and my son wants to keep it going. When he is old enough and has EARNED it, I'll give him my Jeep, and I'll get to order a new one. I've got no problem with that.

busymamacita

First Name
Carah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I have seen a bunch of very young kids driving Jeeps. Not sure how I would feel about my kids having a Jeep as their first vehicle the more I think about it.
It’s kid specific. Our 16 year old bought a Jeep and right after followed us to Colorado and drove some badge of honors with us. She has changed her own brakes, oil, etc. (All with our watching to make sure she is safe) She is a really good driver, our oldest (18) wouldn’t feel comfortable doing this. If your kid is a good driver, a defensive driver, and knows their vehicle it doesn’t matter what they drive. Enjoy these moments, they go so fast!

busymamacita

First Name
Carah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
It’s kid specific. Our 16 year old bought a Jeep and right after followed us to Colorado and drove some badge of honors with us. She has changed her own brakes, oil, etc. (All with our watching to make sure she is safe) She is a really good driver, our oldest (18) wouldn’t feel comfortable doing this. If your kid is a good driver, a defensive driver, and knows their vehicle it doesn’t matter what they drive. Enjoy these moments, they go so fast!
PS. She saved and bought it herself too, we didn’t just go buy it for her. She worked side jobs and saved for several years. She earned it

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
My daughter got a TJ at 16 and still has it 6 years later, she says that she is never getting rid of it.
Sponsored