Sponsored

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

• Total voters

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
There was an insurance study done that said the Jeep Wrangler is the worse vehicle for a new driver since it doesn't handle like a normal vehicle. It stated that they should get some experience in another vehicle until they become more proficient at driving. It also stated do not give the car to the kid. Make them ask you for permission to use your vehicle. The study claimed if the vehicle is the child's then he/she is 80% more likely to wreck it than if it is yours. It touched on the child being more concerned about hurting something that is no theirs.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Picked this up while mistakenly looking at Craigslist while in LA. I'm in MN. 33" tires and 4" lift. Daughter wants a jeep and I want a jeep buddy to go out riding with. No worries about her driving it. I hope it doesnt get damaged and her hurt but she needs a car so why not a jeep?

04 JL.JPG
“mistakingly looking at Craigslist” Hate it when that happens. :CWL:

Beautiful Jeep!

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Both of my boys started driving in a 2004 Rubicon after learning in my 2012 JKU. Wouldn't change a thing. They both went to JKs after getting college scholarships. The oldest got a 2014 Rubicon and the youngest is in a 2016 Hard Rock. On the 4th of January my oldest was hit by a drunk driver in an offset head-on hit-and-run collision. They estimate the other driver was going above 55mph, my son was stopped. The poison spyder bumper and armor and the jeep saved his life, deflecting the other vehicle. preventing any damage to the passenger compartment.

We just picked up a 2018 JLU Rubicon as a replacement along with a new poison spyder bumper.

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
When I was 17 in 1988, my dad told me he wanted me to learn how to handle things myself, so he gave me $10K to buy a car. He didn't specify what car, so my friends and I scoured the Auto Trader magazines and found a bright yellow 1977 Porsche 911S for $13.5K. I test drove it and told the guy I only had $10K. His dad had just died and he inherited a ton of money so he agreed to sell me the car for $10K. I drove it home and honked in our driveway. My mom almost passed out and my dad said "well played."
I almost died twice due to the rear end sliding all over the place, and blew the engine a year later, but what a great senior year I had. If you have the funds, let the kid have a JL. It might be the only cool car he ever gets...

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Depends on what you mean by "Let my 16yo have a Jeep". If its a used older jeep , then yes have at it, and have fun. If it's a Brand new JL coming in at at least 45K, hell no. Simply for the fact they are learning to drive and will probably tear it up anyway. Obviously a lot of people aren't thinking like me because I see many kids pulling out of the high school in JLUs and JKUs when I pickup my daughter.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If my future son/daughter told me they needed a car and wanted me to buy one for them they'll get two options:

Option 1:
beat-up-old-banger-car-cars-tatty-rough-knackered-junk-scrap-volvo-CYYWGK.jpg

Option 2: Buy your own car.
Option 3: Public transportation

Sure they can have a Jeep! if they can afford one ;).

If we brag about living in a free country with plenty of jobs and opportunities to make your own self, then why would my perfectly healthy offspring need special help from "papa and mama". I bought my first car from my dad, and the satisfaction to know that I bought it, and the confidence and independence that came with it was amazing. It was a turning point in my life. My wife also bought her first car, a beaten Subaru. We are both pretty successful today and can afford whatever car we want. Sure you can buy a brand new JL to your kid, but you can't buy them confidence, independence or freedom.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

like most people here. I would never give my kid a brand new car. when i was a kid and just got my Licenses i was driving a 86 gmc pick-up with a very nice 302 and boy did i do some dumb things. I did all the maintenance and learned how to wrench on that truck such a fast little single cab pickup still miss it. i did crash it about a year into have my licenses but that was because some numb nut ran a stop sign and i tag him in the back corner panel was such a bummer but nothing some pick a part parts and a couple hundred to have the paint matched up. My dad sold the truck and gave me a 87 K5 blazer to play around with and get to school my sr year but half way through they sold the blazer and got a suburban. lucky for me my brother finally was willing to give up the truck my parents gave him. a Good old 1976 Gmc k10 Pickup truck lifted on 35's oh man i was in heaven and drove that truck for a few years after school tell i was able to buy a new ram 1500 5.7 hemi. anyways i still have my 76 pickup ive gone through the whole truck and if i have a kid that will be his or hers first car. something mad of steel and easy to learn how to wrench on just like it should be. give them something to put there money into so they learn to appreciate it and when they want to get a new one and have the money then so be it. I would 100% let my kid have a wrangler but it would be used and old so they can take care of it.

jred321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A few years ago I sold my JK to a kid in HS. He was maybe older than 16 but still in HS. My JK was a 2 door Rubicon with a Ripp supercharger. I thought it was a bad idea for a new driver to have it. With the short wheel base, once the power came on a bit if the roads were wet the back end could get squirrely. Fine for someone who knows what they're doing but if you're not paying attention and kept your foot in the gas you'd spin.

I don't expect that Jeep is still on the road.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
There was an insurance study done that said the Jeep Wrangler is the worse vehicle for a new driver since it doesn't handle like a normal vehicle. It stated that they should get some experience in another vehicle until they become more proficient at driving. It also stated do not give the car to the kid. Make them ask you for permission to use your vehicle. The study claimed if the vehicle is the child's then he/she is 80% more likely to wreck it than if it is yours. It touched on the child being more concerned about hurting something that is no theirs.
You can make a study say whatever you want. This one is pure BS. If you learn to drive in a Wrangler, like my daughter did, they won’t notice any difference, because they have nothing to compare to.

Sponsored

spleev

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Just bought a base 2020 JLU Sport - (no power windows / locks) as the "family" car but my 17 year old daughter gets to drive it most of the time. She graduated from a Fiat 500e as her first car and was insanely grateful when I picked up the Jeep. Her younger sister is about to get her permit and she'll learn on the Jeep.

I think its all a question of how you've raised your kids and what expectations you set for them. I know they will be just fine with it.

I'm just looking forward to wheeling and modding the thing with them.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Can you actually tell me that you have read this study personally and can find it/link it here or are you just perpetuating a myth?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Can you define the importance of sourcing his data, vs reading it lambasting the fake news medias attacks on our beloved jeeps and moving on?

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
YES! Do it!! I had a '65 CJ-5 when I was in high school. More fun than a barrel of monkeys! A four cylinder with 3 speed transmission and it would only go 50mph down hill with a tail wind. It even had a crank windshield wipers. When something broke or I broke it, I had to fix it. Learned a lot from that old Jeep and wish I still had it. :like:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but not mine.
Sponsored