Sponsored

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

• Total voters

Gatorhead96

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu
I had a 76 cj7 Quadra Trac v-8 automatic at 16. It was a hardtop and the drivers door latch was worn out when we got it. Would randomly swing open in a curve. Would definitely keep you on your toes.
Buy them a jeep at 15 and teach them with you in the vehicle. If before they turn 16 youndont think they are responsible enough sell it.
Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
My daughter is 18 months or so away from driving so itā€™s been a topic in my house. My first vehicle was a Suzuki Samurai and when I think about all the dumb sh!t that me and my friends did with that thing Iā€™m amazed nobody died. Itā€™s not a Jeep, but itā€™s the same type of vehicle. Jersey Pine Barrens, mud bogs, woods, corn fields, jumping it to get air, driving it off camber....Iā€™m lucky nothing serious ever happened. Had a lot of fun with it for sure, but made some really poor choices in hind sight. Canā€™t believe my parents let me have it. Had it through high school and college and it ran like a top with over 200k mikes on it.
I realize that sheā€™s a girl and with her personality is not prone to that behavior like I was, but she will probably have a Ford Focus or Mazda 3 as her first car when the time comes.

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
Having wrecked multiple cars while I was a young driver, I have no problem with getting my daughter a jeep (She's a month old, so I have time...) but not a new one until she is off to college/military/etc and will not be around for us to "rescue."

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL Unlimited
I plan on giving my son my 2018 JLUR when he turns 16 in two years. Heā€™s a good person, works hard, and would appreciate it. We bond with the Jeep. Every parent has to make their own decision as to how to raise their kids.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
NO! Why have kids?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Voted "Yes," though the year of the Jeep did matter to us. We wanted as much safety equipment as possible, at least ABS Brakes and Airbags. We put our Son in a 2012 JK Sport with manual transmission. We built much of it together, including a small lift, 33-inch tires and accessories to get he and his friends out of trouble if they did wheel it a little.

We taught responsibility and accountability, and we trusted him enough to know that he'd respect the vehicle and especially the lives of the folks that were with him.

His experience has been amazing, and it's been great watching him enjoy the Jeep lifestyle.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have seen a bunch of very young kids driving Jeeps. Not sure how I would feel about my kids having a Jeep as their first vehicle the more I think about it.
At 16 my son was given a non running "you haul it, you can have it" Jetta.

Which he traded for a non running lifted TJ.

He tinkered for 6 months.

Had 1,500$ in it.

Sold it for 4,800.

Proud of him.

At 16 you've either done a good job or it's too late.

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
Well since my 17 yo is now on his 3rd Jeep, yes! :)

Let me explain, DS wanted a Jeep for his first vehicle and I was totally against it for a lot of the reasons stated in this thread and firmly of the mind set of ā€œget the Junker and let him wreck itā€ and then get him a nice vehicle. I then moved to the realization that the safety features of newer vehicles made buying a 10 year old car not viable for us. Well, DS found a nice JK for a great price and we purchased it. This was right before the JL came out. Got it home, everything is great until the roof started leaking. Took it to my mechanic, replaced seals, added seals, the common fixes and could not stop the leak. Mechanic to a closer look and discovered the roll cage had damage, either from an undisclosed roll or a large object falling on the roof. Bye Felicia.

DW and I discussed what his replacement and decided to go with a 2018 JL. With the knowledge that he is going to have an accident, we wanted it to have all the new safety features. That and compared to the cost difference with loan rate reduction for a used one made financial sense for us. I am glad we did. 14 months later, guy pulls out in front of DS and stops. DS is doing 50 mph and T bones him. Other DS was in Jeep and both walked away with minor injuries (other guy was also ok).

that made the next decision very easy, 2019 JL with the new advanced safety. With the rebates, cash off, tread lightly providing 20% off MSRP, was a no brainer.

Now both DS know this is it from DW and me for a car. We expect them to make their cars last through college. Then they can buy their own. They also know if they are responsible for their vehicle being totaled, then it is going to be a nice safe Civic.

Sponsored

OP
OP
99wishes

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Itā€™s not me I worry about when I am driving, itā€™s everyone else. Same thing here. Itā€™s not my kids, itā€™s all their friends. Kids are kids and thatā€™s part of learning. Thatā€™s not to mention the things we did to impress girls.

I specifically didnā€™t address the year and model of the Jeep, but having a scrambler thereā€™s no way I would consider giving them a CJ. TJ is a maybe because it is somewhat modern, but itā€™s still missing the latest and greatest technology. For example, BSM is a great feature. I also understand thereā€™s no safety feature that will stop some other idiot from hitting you. Itā€™s a balance but I think I would lean towards newer.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Footnote.................
Spend all your money on Jeep parts.
No money for drugs n alcohol.
100 % agree! My son got a job at a Discount Tire store 3 months ago and has spent every penny he has earned on Jeep parts.

OP
OP
99wishes

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Footnote.................
Spend all your money on Jeep parts.
No money for drugs n alcohol.
by ā€œyourā€ money, you mean ā€œmyā€ money. I am a firm believer in education so I will support my kids in a way that will allow them to do well in school. It doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t have a job, but itā€™s not gonna be anything that they make enough to spend it modifying a Jeep.