Sponsored

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

• Total voters

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Well, at 16, each of my two sons were allowed to drive MY 97 TJ that I bought new back in 96. Each of them had their eye on that Jeep since they were 3 and 4 respectively. When my older son turned 17 and the younger turned 16, I purchased a used 2011 JK and the older one began driving it.

My younger son is definitely the wilder one, and the allure of driving a manual TJ has gotten the better of him once or twice, going where he wasn't supposed to, getting stuck, but calling dad to help get him out. Each time, privileges were taken away for a bit, but that's what growing up is all about.

The boys continue to drive the jeeps, but they know they are MINE, until they finish college and I MAY allow them to keep them as theirs. They treat them extremely well and have respect for the jeeping lifestyle.

Here's a few pics of right after I picked up my 2018 JLUR. Great times, and a great family.

IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0341.jpg
That's one awesome driveway.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I changed my mind. I would let them have an older Jeep. But only if they buy it from me. I'd sell it to them for a trade in price + school performance based discount ;).

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I think the choices are a bit misleading. I would totally allow my son to have a Jeep as his first vehicle...

Just not a new Jeep. Naw dawg, you're not getting a $40K+ vehicle to screw up. Nope, not gonna happen. I'll find you up to like a 2011 JKU.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Kind of a mixed answer …. 4 doors are more stable than 2 doors, but even a 2 door is much more stable than you may think of when you think of Jeeps.

Good
- They are higher, so they have better visibility
- Dents aren’t as big of a deal for most
- 4WD is helpful in the winter
- Will help their attempt to pick up the opposite sex (if this matters)
- They have some good safety tech available

Bad
- They are higher, they are less stable
- Not the most reliable vehicles compared to some
- Tends to encourage stupid behaviour (“Hmm, wonder if I can …”)

Sponsored

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I bought my JL with the intention of handing it down to my son when he gets his license in 3 years. Will probably make him keep the doors on for the first year, though.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm late to the show here, but I would definitely give my kid a Jeep.

It would have to be from the 70s or 80s, be cabureted, have a manual transmission, and need some work.

Also, they will have to pay for it themselves. They wouldn't want me picking it out for them.

Allen0jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06LJ,
Clubs

My daughter(13) is learning to drive my 06 LJ because she will buy it from me when she turns 16.

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
It's not age it is maturity. I have a 23 year old daughter. She has been driving my 2011 then 2016 Camaro Convertibles and also my 2018 JLU since she was 16. Yet Hertz still will not rent her a car. Now as Paul Harvey used to say the rest of the story! She graduated from ASU with honors Was hired for the Scottsdale Police Department before she even graduated. She Was awarded rookie of the year award, and now helps teach new officers how to handle squad cars. If it wasn't for her affinity to do j turns (Rockford turns) in the squad car (on the training course) she would be the perfect daughter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep? 1633128786637

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep? 1633129245497

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
HELL NO! 2 of my friends and I had Jeeps as hi-school idiots and we were always doing stupid s....t with them. I’d explain further but i’ not sure the statue of limitations has run out on all the dumb ass s....t we did.

Sponsored

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Unfortunately, no.

Not because I think kids shouldn't have nice things when they're too young. I don't mind at all. But Jeeps require a proper maintenance and it requires discipline behind the wheel.

I've seen terrible things in the ER, including a kid who drove a Jeep like a little twat. When you're a kid, you want to be cool, you want to look cool and you want to impress your friends.

I'd go for a properly safe car, with basic safety features to save his life if he acts like crap. A good old reliable Corolla, for example. Just so he learns to handle a FWD car before getting used to a 4X4.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I would not. when i turned 16 i purchased a 1983 CJ-7 and crashed it in less than 1week and nearly got killed. I don’t think they are safe cars for inexperienced drivers.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Not their DDs but both my kids (now in their 20s) drove our TJ whenever they wanted and I didn’t worry. My son (15 at the time) and I did all the work on it together and my daughter started driving it (me with her of course) when she was 13.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep? 078EF308-D883-4982-B812-B507A9F65892

Still to this day they miss the TJ even though I never see my JL when my daughter comes home from college :)

Both were disappointed when I sent this pic to them the day it sold.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep? 34EC911D-F084-4396-8BB0-5605CA0871F9

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
My first car at 17 was a 1992 Wrangler. My latest car at 44 is a 2021 392 Rubicon. No way my kids are getting this one unless there is a Hellcat version by then! But I am open to a Wrangler for my girls (currently 11 and 8) when they get a license. I think it comes down to how responsible and sensible they are…on second thought, 8 year old might get a school bus…

edit: I came home from hospital when born in a 1977 CJ7 Levi’s…I guess Jeeps are in my genes