Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

1. Yes, only a two door

7.5%
  2. Yes, only a four door

4.2%
  3. Yes, but not a Rubicon

2.4%
  4. No

31.1%
  5. Yes, doesn’t matter

54.8%
  1. powelld353

powelld353 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
    Liked:
    All 3 of my kids drove my TJ. Kind of like a right of passage for them to drive it then pass on to the next sibling.

DaltonGang likes this.
  2. m3reno

m3reno Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sal
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
    Liked:
    An average car has different handling characteristics vs a jeep. A jeep does require you to take different lines vs a car, that being said ....no I wouldn't make that a first car

3. 10mmauto

10mmauto Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace, 2019 Land Rover Discovery Sport, 2008 Mustang Bullitt
    Liked:
    LEO
    Garage Profiles:
    16 year old. New car.

No.

4. BrntWS6

BrntWS6 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
    Liked:
    My kids can drive whatever they can afford after they get a job. But 18 is the cut off for driving alone in my house, 16 is too young.

NMPirate and PyrPatriot like this.
  5. PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    My kid was just born so in 16 years a JL will be fine for them to drive

6. Dkretden

Dkretden Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.6L
    Liked:
    This is a very interesting thread to me and I am surprised by some of the responses......

When I was 16, the vehicles that we could purchase were, essentially, shit cans with non-radial tires. No safety features except seatbelts that nobody wore .... nobody......

I did have two high school friends die in two fatal crashes. One was alcohol related .... died as a passenger (drunk driver in his car) and the other fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the road as a solo occupant. I don’t know for sure but neither was likely using a seat belt. Both, as I recall, were ejected from the car that they were in. I did say “car”.......

by the standard of my teen years, a modern Jeep JL or JK is a nerf ball wrapped in armor and surrounded with a technology force field.

my friend, who is now 50+ has never had any other vehicle but a Jeep. Drove one as her first vehicle as a teen. She marvels at how safe her JK is (that she just gave to her 16-year old daughter) compared to the Jeeps she drove previously.

DaltonGang, Lou Bunn, FastAK and 2 others like this.
  7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Sport S
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I want one.

8. rickinAZ

rickinAZ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Rubicon Hard Rock 2-door
    Liked:
    Retired
    Not to mention time spent riding (beltless) in the wayback seat in our station wagon, and with a pile of kids in the back of a pickup truck. [we even felt safe despite not having a "baby on board" sign] No incidents ever - knock-on-wood.

Sorry, veered off topic.

9. Pchmotoho

Pchmotoho Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR, misc old cars
    Liked:
    I’ll put my sons in the tallest biggest truck I can find.

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Active Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
    Liked:
    My 15 year old will get his license shortly. He will drive my 09 2-door Rubicon manual. It has traction control, stability control, manual transmission, and only 200-ish horsepower. We wrench on either his JK or his mom's JL almost every weekend so he knows how things work.

RubiSc0tt and Dkretden like this.
  11. HendersonJL

HendersonJL Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chinh
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
    Liked:
    I wouldn’t necessarily poll public opinion for my family private affairs. However regarding the topic, it would depend on two factors: 1) can I afford a new car/Jeep? 2) is my son/daughter a responsible person?

12. sf5211

sf5211 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    New 2019 JL
    Liked:
    Plumber
    I would say yes because at least it’s a safer vehicle God forbid an accident. I would stress how driving like an idiot could topple the Jeep because of the height and tell him/her of the stupid things I did and how people I knew were killed speeding around.
    My first 3 cars were a Camaro Z-28, a Corvette and a Mustang GT. Are those safer than a Jeep?

FastAK likes this.
  13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandy
    Vehicle(s):
    17 JKU, 19 JL
    Liked:
    I'd definitely rather have my kids driving my JL versus some shit can. It's just a vehicle. It can be replaced. The kid, not so much:giggle:. My 19yo daughter drives my JL everyday to work. She pays for her own insurance (which isn't cheap) and gas. I tried teaching her to drive when I had my TJ but she didn't care for it. Once I got my JL, she was ready to learn:swear:

14. rallydefault

rallydefault Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '18 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    My daughter is only 1.5 so... not gonna be an issue for a long time, if we even still have cars as we know them by then lol

But some comments I just don't understand. The people arguing against the safety concerns by saying "well we didn't have xyz back in the day" or "we didn't have airbags and I came out just fine - suck it up." I mean...yea... I guess? We also used to bleed people to death if they were sick and we were afraid to sail off the edge of the world. Practical advancements are good things, and this is coming from a guy who HATES all this new-fangled blind spot monitoring, forward collision sensors, etc.

Curtain air bags in as many locations as possible, more intelligent seat belts, even back up cameras - these things make sense to me. But as an owner, I'm big enough to face the facts: a jeep, even a jl, is simply NOT as safe as most other SUVs on the market. I wouldn't allow my 16 year-old to have one as their vehicle. Drive mine every now and then, especially if I'm with them? Sure thing. But as HER car? Nope, no way.

Now, I do agree with people saying kids need to stop having cars gifted to them. I saved my whole high school career to afford a 6,000-dollar Geo Prism when I was a senior, and I loved that car to death. It was paid off and it was mine. I agree that kids should need to save to get their own car. I would do a 50/50 deal with my daughter, even.

thestein13 and Tiger1 like this.
  15. BrntWS6

BrntWS6 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
    Liked:
    Hell, my kids have to buy their own phones. They do odd jobs when they want something. Pull weeds or shovel snow for neighbors. Neither has lost one or cracked a screen. I think parents who buy 1,000 phones for their kids are nuts.