Sponsored

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

• Total voters

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
It depends on the attitude of course. Looking back on my two sons at that age it's a split decision. My oldest son it would have been a yes for him after some experience driving. For my youngest it would have been a no back then and that would not have changed since he was a terrible driver for years. Had to basically rebuild the front end of his car three times.
Sponsored

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Heck yes I would if I trust my kid! Grew up in a Jeep family and been driving my dads since I was 16… for a graduation present my parents let both me and my twin sister custom order a Jeep Wrangler each of whatever trim and packages we wanted for our first vehicle.

A9F52458-E5E9-4833-BE74-D8FA909D5B09.jpeg

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Didn’t read it all. Yes, a 2 door with no back seat. That way liability is limited to one passenger. Kids don’t need to haul their “crew” around. Also, zero mods and a good set of mild ATs or all season tires. Once the kids proves responsibility and trust, then we could talk about them spending money they earn to begin personalizing it, pending parental approval.

Preferred would be a 2007-2011 JK with a manual transmission. Learn to shift or walk. Hard to mess with a phone when shifting.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Just last month I gave my newly licensed 16yo the keys to my 2015 JKUS. I feel like he's safer in it than some little aluminum can like a Camry, although I haven't let him take the doors or top off yet, want him to get some miles under his belt before he does that. And he goes to a high school where there are Lambos and McLarens in the student parking lot so he remains a bit humbled. Besides, it gave me an excuse to by a 2021 Diesel JLU.

Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Jeep unlimited are as safe as anything out there. I had a 77 CJ5 Renegade with a 304 V8. That, I would not allow. I don't know how I never rolled it over. 2 wheels many times. Those were the days.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Speaking from my own experience may save them money in the future. In junior high I wanted a moped….I got a freaking electric bike…uh huh you can picture that one . Then in high school I wanted a CJ5 Renegade….yep you guessed it…I got to drive the company station wagon. Flash forward college…yep crotch rocket…multiple crotch rockets….and a Jeep…then after graduation a series of Jeeps over the years that truly stood up to the moniker Just Empty Every Pocket. They were built. To this day I have a Jeep and used to have a HD VRod…now got a trike. I always blame my parents. If they had only let me have the moped… I would have much more money in the bank. Lol.

on a serious note I’ve got two kids in college now. Each totaled their 1st cars in high school. My son managed the feat in 4 days. Not reckless just not paying attention. So it’s not really the type of car, it’s just the age overall.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I hope that there are still good 2 door manual Jeeps available in 15 years. I can't imagine a better vehicle to learn to drive in.

navyflyer

First Name
“Chopper” Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
Sure am glad my Dad said yes and Mom lent me the money…

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I think its best to let your kid drive YOUR vehicle as a first.

It forces them to be cautious since they dont want a beating when they come home with a dent in your jeep.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I think its best to let your kid drive YOUR vehicle as a first.

It forces them to be cautious since they dont want a beating when they come home with a dent in your jeep.
Umm, what? No matter what you give them at 16, it's YOUR vehicle.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
I'm oldschool so my opinion is... if the 16 year old is mature enough to drive then let them get a JOB and work for it. If they have to pay for it they might respect it more and take better care of it and themselves.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I'm oldschool so my opinion is... if the 16 year old is mature enough to drive then let them get a JOB and work for it. If they have to pay for it they might respect it more and take better care of it and themselves.
you need a car to get to work. You need a job to buy a car. We can debate the philosophy of what a parent should or shouldn’t do all day, and never agree. The question is, is a wrangler a good car for a kid? I argue yes.

The very nature of a Jeep lends to slower driving. The visibility is very good. Real world crash fatality data shows the wrangler to be incredibly safe to its occupants. They can easily be worked on at home. Resale value is very good, even in rough shape. Very few downsides.
Sponsored