Would you lease a 2023 4xe Rubicon now or wait for a 2024

OP
OP

Markf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
Due to the battery source it's not the full amount, however, a $3750 to the end consumer (as a tax credit, i.e., a POS "rebate") is available.
I got $7500 on the lease
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
It has been a long time since I looked at what leasing is all about, but it always sounded like leasing was a terrible idea. Have things changed?
Here's the thing with a lease, and there's a LOT of misinformation circulating - and I've done the math, owned 20+ vehicles over a few decades through multiple mechanisms, so there's not anything I haven't accounted for (people always try to BUT BUT WHAT ABOUT ... :D )

What you're doing is paying for the depreciation. I hear people say, "It's 'renting' you have no equity when you return it" - but that also implies no loss of value, i.e., it's not like you buy a $60K vehicle, pay for it for 36 months, and all those payments are equity, it's still value at 36 months vs. money paid against the loan (assuming no cash buys, which are usually not a great idea on a depreciating asset).

Where leases aren't always a good fit is the duration and the mileage.

If you tend to want to swap cars every 36 months, like we like to have a vehicle under warranty during ownership, which can also include all maintenance, and like the continuous improvements, plus tend to change our use cases and priorities.

We're also very low mileage users, our 4xe is from April '21m just crossed 10K miles, the Tesla is from June '21, still under 10K.

With the use car market being very volatile, a lease can protect you from massive depreciation out of left field, where the tech has big leaps and/or the manufacturer cuts costs and drops prices (looking at you Tesla ...). At the signing, the value in X months (usually 36) is determined and locked in. If your vehicle value takes a dump, no worries, you won't owe any more.

So that projected value at 36 months, minus the cost at purchase is the cost that you're covering - and with Jeeps, since they tend to hold their value, it tends be less that other makes - and the interest rate can be be very low as well, a few different "tricks", but we've had multiple leases where we paid 1/2 a point or less.

In Florida, you also don't pay taxes for the whole vehicle, only the amount that's leased.

With most leases you can buy it at the end, that's NOT the best way to plan for long term ownership, but if the market is in a place where it's advantageous, you can always pull that trigger too - for example, the lease was over on the DD/RT we had (replaced by the 4xe), we could've simply returned it and walked away, but we got a quote from Carvana for purchase, bought the DD for cash after the lease and turned about the same week and completed the transaction with Carvana and put $12K in our pocket for floating $30K for a week and filling out some online forms (they picked it up at our house).

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I got $7500 on the lease
Right, I was saying there's a $3750 available to everyone as a tax credit regardless of how you make the purchase. The Feds basically have $3750 for EV + another $3750 based on how the battery is sourced/built (country of origin for raw materials, etc.)

A lease sort of sidesteps that 2nd requirement. :)

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I would wait for the ‘24.

Doubtful there will be a huge change, unless it is interest rates.

graytag

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe, Sold-3 TJs, 1 YJ
What you're doing is paying for the depreciation. I hear people say, "It's 'renting' you have no equity when you return it" - but that also implies no loss of value, i.e., it's not like you buy a $60K vehicle, pay for it for 36 months, and all those payments are equity, it's still value at 36 months vs. money paid against the loan (assuming no cash buys, which are usually not a great idea on a depreciating asset).
Amen. If you can pay cash(ie. 0 interest), drive it for 10 years and not put any major maintenance into it, love it on that 3650th day like you did the 1st......then, you win. Otherwise, I'm a lease guy for the reasons MaskedRacer mentioned.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Markf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
In my particular case I ended up leasing with over $18k discounted from MSRP. I couldnt have gotten that discount if I bought it, as I wasnt eligible for $7500 via purchase, only through lease.

There is no way the MY24 that I would have ordered now would end up with a discount of over 25% off of MSRP.

I now have a pretty low monthly lease rate and a fair buyout in 36 months. Alternatively I can buy it in a month from now from the leasing company. I should add that the money factor equates to an interest in the 4's. This was a win/win as far as I see it.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
In my particular case I ended up leasing with over $18k discounted from MSRP. I couldnt have gotten that discount if I bought it, as I wasnt eligible for $7500 via purchase, only through lease.

There is no way the MY24 that I would have ordered now would end up with a discount of over 25% off of MSRP.

I now have a pretty low monthly lease rate and a fair buyout in 36 months. Alternatively I can buy it in a month from now from the leasing company. I should add that the money factor equates to an interest in the 4's. This was a win/win as far as I see it.
May I ask, how did you manage such a huge discount? That is huge! Congrats .

OP
OP

Markf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
May I ask, how did you manage such a huge discount? That is huge! Congrats .
Reach out to @Mitch@OurismanClarksville - firstly his pricing is already a decent discount, then factor in the $7500 4xe incentive (lease only), I'm a Tread Lightly affiliate, and I also qualified for a First Responder Discount plus a $1000 off coupon from Chrysler that somehow magically appeared in my email box (dont remember what I did to get that). I do own 3 other jeeps and I have been surfing the Jeep website for the past 5-6 weeks.

Good luck

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Reach out to @Mitch@OurismanClarksville - firstly his pricing is already a decent discount, then factor in the $7500 4xe incentive (lease only), I'm a Tread Lightly affiliate, and I also qualified for a First Responder Discount plus a $1000 off coupon from Chrysler that somehow magically appeared in my email box (dont remember what I did to get that). I do own 3 other jeeps and I have been surfing the Jeep website for the past 5-6 weeks.

Good luck
Sounds like the stars were all aligned. Great job! 👍🏼 thx

Mitch@OurismanClarksville

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

Good luck

Thank you for the love!

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe

Yeah, if I was in the market now / it was our first 4xe, that deal would have very likely superseded the new '24 features.

(we're not going to be in the market till mid-24 and we want to change-up what we have).

Congrats, that's an insanely great deal!
Sponsored