Would you Jeep with no a/c?!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
$30k in upgrades to the willys you already own would make it capable of just about any trail on the planet…and it would still have AC.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
For all of my younger years, here in San Antonio, I either had vehicles with no AC or AC that didn't work. You get used to it.

In SoCal, I would go for it with the low humidity on a regular basis. Especailly since you already have another you can drive when the weather is bad. If you have a garage, just take the top and doors off and never put them back on. Then AC is not an issue.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's all about your tolerance level. AC is a luxury some cannot go without. I'm not one of those.

I have no problem whatsoever not having AC. My last truck it went out in around 2000. My current truck is a bare bones GMC Sierra that came without AC. So going on 20 years with no AC in my vehicle.

I live in SoCal and go to NV during the summer months. I recommend a spray bottle filled with water and wet rag when it gets over 100 deg. I also ride motorcycles in all kinds of weather. Main thing is to get acclimated and stay hydrated.

Being cold is a whole different story. Too cold and you can die of frostbite and hypothermia. There are no cases of humans dying from the heat, providing the skin is covered and you're properly hydrated.

All that being said, I would get the AC option on a Jeep Wrangler.
702 heat related deaths per year in the US, 1500 hypothermia deaths. Almost none on either side would have died if properly clothed and hydrated, but heat stroke is real. Especially wheeling at lower speeds in the summer months at temps well above 100°. Cruising down the highway in the heat isn’t terrible thanks to the air movement, low speeds are brutal. Combine that hot , miserable, sweaty off roading with someone passing by at speed, the ensuing dust cloud, and the layer of mud that just coated you and that is a hard pass for me. Why spend $30k to be miserable, when $31k makes all the difference in the world?

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Get the opinion of the woman you'd want riding with you. It's the only opinion that matters.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you Jeep with no a/c?! 1633711129409

Old School. :LOL:

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Been driving an old truck with no A/C in FL for 6 years prior to the new Jeep, over it.
So, no, hell no.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Also in SoCal and had the top and doors off for a while this summer. Anything over 90 degrees starts to get uncomfortable. Being on the streets or highway when it’s over 100 starts to suck the life out of me. I have no desire to spend a full day in the hot desert with no AC.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
There's a difference between survivable if I have to and comfortable. Why would you buy a weekend you knowing full well it will be uncomfortable? Could I wheel in the dust, heart, and misery? Sure. Will I spend the money not to? Absolutely.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I don't use a/c when I have the top down/off, and when I lived in So California my top was down/off 102.98% of the time.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 3 cents worth. Drive in Texas rush hour traffic at a crawl when its 100 to 105 and heat index 110 and light winds. Add the heat off concrete road and heat off many autos around you and that's when top goes on and AC blasting. I tried both Jeep's SOT doors and rear panel off and Hardtop off with doors off and Texas heat won out. By end of next week temps go down and top comes off. Winter cold no problem for me. I sweat doing yard work damn sure not sweating driving. :whew:

OP
OP
R3TRO

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I didn't know they made them without a/c. That said, I don't need it, but my wife and kids do.
I'm kind of jealous of crank windows though!! Negotiate a better price unless this is brand new.
Brand new. Would be by myself 99% of the time. No pets or kids, just the wife, but she has her own.

Man I'm really second guessing this now. A lot of valid points above. Was really excited this morning, now not so much :(. I think I'll at least go look at it. But everything I've ever "looked at", well, you know!

OP
OP
R3TRO

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
$30,665 is the MSRP for a base 2dr v6 manual so that's not really a deal. $31,960 is MSRP for a base 2dr v6 manual with A/C. Find a dealer that sells for below MSRP and get the A/C...

No way Id buy anyting without A/C. Even when it's an option it's not an expensive one...
It's sting gray (+295) and has the trail rated kit (+$195) for a total of $31,455. They are asking $30,835.

It's literally down the street from me. I guess I like the idea of not having to order it and wait weeks But if it's only a $1200 (?) option, that would probably be a wiser decision.

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
It's sting gray (+295) and has the trail rated kit (+$195) for a total of $31,455. They are asking $30,835.

It's literally down the street from me. I guess I like the idea of not having to order it and wait weeks But if it's only a $1200 (?) option, that would probably be a wiser decision.
These numbers are all funny money. The only way they sell that Jeep is if some sorry, desperate, self-loathing fellow comes along who won't wait to order one with AC...

All jokes aside, even with car prices what they are today, you could probably start at $20k for negotiating and not get totally laughed at, because that thing is a reverse unicorn: nobody is looking for it.

Ok. Now really with all jokes aside, the question really comes down to: How comfortable are you with just a fan blowing on you when wheeling, getting to wheeling, and going home from wheeling, and do you need a 2dr jeep before March?

Do I think you are insane for wanting that Jeep? No, because it really does mostly fit your needs. You are getting so many "hard pass" responses because you have a unique situation. Most of the responses here indicated they DD theirs, and very few sane people in 2021 in the lower 48 would DD a car without AC.

I say go for it. If you don't like it, some kid who couldn't afford it new will buy it and suffer like most of us did in our early cars. Their parents will stress that it "builds character" and the cycle will continue until they are in a message board 15 years from now responding to kids complaining about not having Uconnect VR in their hoverubicon and how their first car didn't even have AC.
Sponsored