First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Am I crazy for considering a 2-dr Wrangler with no AC? I do live in SoCal where the summers are hot and most of the year it never drops below 60F. But hear me out... This would be a weekend toy as we already have a Willys JLU. It would be used mostly for legit offroad trails. Most of these trips would probably be in the South West, ie. desert.

I found a 2DR, 6spd, 6cyl, soft top, Wrangler base with zero options. As in hand crank windows! It's cheap at $30K. Pretty sure it's been sitting on the lot for a while because the no AC/2dr/6spd. The ONLY thing holding me back is the lack of AC.

So... I guess my question goes to anyone who has a Wrangler with no AC: Would I regret getting a Wrangler with no a/c? I'm worried that if I took it to any of the trails in my area I'd be miserable unless I avoided summer completely. I don't want to make a $30K mistake. Opinions welcome!
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not a chance. AC is what separates us from those peasants in their side by sides

JK, but in all seriousness every time I see a SXS on trail on a hot summer day, they look absolutely miserable. The AC is a welcome feature. I donā€™t think Iā€™d have a Jeep without it

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Am I crazy for considering a 2-dr Wrangler with no AC? I do live in SoCal where the summers are hot and most of the year it never drops below 60F. But hear me out... This would be a weekend toy as we already have a Willys JLU. It would be used mostly for legit offroad trails. Most of these trips would probably be in the South West, ie. desert.

I found a 2DR, 6spd, 6cyl, soft top, Wrangler base with zero options. As in hand crank windows! It's cheap at $30K. Pretty sure it's been sitting on the lot for a while because the no AC/2dr/6spd. The ONLY thing holding me back is the lack of AC.

So... I guess my question goes to anyone who has a Wrangler with no AC: Would I regret getting a Wrangler with no a/c? I'm worried that if I took it to any of the trails in my area I'd be miserable unless I avoided summer completely. I don't want to make a $30K mistake. Opinions welcome!
I rolled like that when I was a young man, never gave it a second thought, and I lived in AZā€¦ But nowā€¦.Iā€™m loving life wheeling in my A/C cooled rig, sitting in my leather seat, watching off-road pages on my big screen, while pushing a button to engage lockers, and disconnecting sway bar, now thatā€™s wheeling babyā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.šŸ˜Ž

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I live in South Carolina, a lot hotter, a sh$t ton more humid than SoCal, and it rains. But...........I for whatever reason don't like AC in a car, so........I have a '07 X that has AC, but honestly, it barely ever gets used. Now with that said, I don't have kids, my wife rarely rides in it, and I generally go topless all summer and hard top in the winter.

Really the only time I use AC is when I still went on trips and had the bikini top on and that was more just because I didn't want to hear window noise on the interstate.

Sponsored

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Who likes to sweat? Not me! Doors off, top offā€¦..I may still blast it in full and point the vents at meā€¦. In addition, I bet the window defrost wonā€™t work as wellā€¦. Also great for getting the humidity out of the air on rainy days.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am with Roky. When I was 20, didn't care about AC. I would take the top and doors off in the spring and put them back on in the fall. I lived in VA Beach then. Now at 50, no way I would not have AC. But I live in the Desert side of WA State right now.

OP
OP
R3TRO

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I live in South Carolina, a lot hotter, a sh$t ton more humid than SoCal, and it rains. But...........I for whatever reason don't like AC in a car, so........I have a '07 X that has AC, but honestly, it barely ever gets used. Now with that said, I don't have kids, my wife rarely rides in it, and I generally go topless all summer and hard top in the winter.

Really the only time I use AC is when I still went on trips and had the bikini top on and that was more just because I didn't want to hear window noise on the interstate.
That's probably my biggest concern... freeway travel on hot days. All you guys are starting to talk me out of this.

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 Door sport
Not a chance. AC is what separates us from those peasants in their side by sides

JK, but in all seriousness every time I see a SXS on trail on a hot summer day, they look absolutely miserable. The AC is a welcome feature. I donā€™t think Iā€™d have a Jeep without it
This is so true, I had a seasonal trailer site this summer that was an atv friendly park ,and me and a buddy would go to a lake about an hour away with my Jeep and a canoe strapped to the roof to get to lingham lake which is pretty rocky and harder to get to since you had to take a trail through the woods to get into it. Well the sxs guys heard we were going in there and one of them went in with a brand new Polaris ranger highlifter and turned around half way because it was too hot for them. All I said was well thatā€™s why I drive the jeep in there : rain coverage,A/C, cup holders , storage , oh and XM radio šŸ‘

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Oh, it absolutely kills resale value as well. If you donā€™t want to own this Jeep forever you might consider that. Youā€™ll likely get your money back for the AC on the backside of this transaction (or rather lose a few grand if you donā€™t have it when you sell it)

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Would you Jeep with no a/c?!
Definitely not. Here in the Midwest, the summer temps are frequently in the 90s and the humidity is not much below that. I don't mind sweating when I'm riding my bicycle but not while driving the Jeep.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
I wonder if the some of the plumbing ports and electric plugs are there and get a/c added. You could call and ask? Or call a local a/c shop and ask if they can add it. Might be a couple of grand but if it's a new jeep that's still cheap and like you said it's been on the lot for awhile so u could get it cheap

I'm in Canada and we go both sides. A/C (which also works in winter to help defrost) heated seats, and a block heater are basically a must have now a days.

I find the best thing now is, wish jeep had them (other vehicles I have owned had) are cooling seats. Hot days a/c off and cooling seats keep you feeling cool. Without that a/c in the face feeling Lol

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It is a hard no for me. 110+ degree day in Moab with the heat radiating off the rocks. Nope, turn the air on, drink a cold monster out of the fridge in the back of the Jeep. Kind of guy. I remember cooking in the SxS and or freezing and being wet in the SxS. There is a reason why the Jeep has air, heat, heated seats, heated steering wheel. No going backwards for this guy.

Hell in the heat of summer with the top and doors off, I still drive with the a/c on while going slow in town.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I'd rather not have heat than A/C. I can always put more clothing on, but the law only allows me to take so much off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you Jeep with no a/c?! giphy
Sponsored