Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not where I'm at (Georgia) and it would severely limit your resale capabilites here.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I was in Moab in late August. That was A/C hot! Much different than the cooler San Juans.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
E
Am I crazy for considering a 2-dr Wrangler with no AC? I do live in SoCal where the summers are hot and most of the year it never drops below 60F. But hear me out... This would be a weekend toy as we already have a Willys JLU. It would be used mostly for legit offroad trails. Most of these trips would probably be in the South West, ie. desert.

I found a 2DR, 6spd, 6cyl, soft top, Wrangler base with zero options. As in hand crank windows! It's cheap at $30K. Pretty sure it's been sitting on the lot for a while because the no AC/2dr/6spd. The ONLY thing holding me back is the lack of AC.

So... I guess my question goes to anyone who has a Wrangler with no AC: Would I regret getting a Wrangler with no a/c? I'm worried that if I took it to any of the trails in my area I'd be miserable unless I avoided summer completely. I don't want to make a $30K mistake. Opinions welcome!
Even if you will never use the A/C, I would still never skip the A/C. If for any reason you need to sell the Jeep down the road, the resale will take a tremendous hit. I could have been living in Northern Canada. I'd still get the A/C for that one reason alone.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
It's all about your tolerance level. AC is a luxury some cannot go without. I'm not one of those.

I have no problem whatsoever not having AC. My last truck it went out in around 2000. My current truck is a bare bones GMC Sierra that came without AC. So going on 20 years with no AC in my vehicle.

I live in SoCal and go to NV during the summer months. I recommend a spray bottle filled with water and wet rag when it gets over 100 deg. I also ride motorcycles in all kinds of weather. Main thing is to get acclimated and stay hydrated.

Being cold is a whole different story. Too cold and you can die of frostbite and hypothermia. There are no cases of humans dying from the heat, providing the skin is covered and you're properly hydrated.

All that being said, I would get the AC option on a Jeep Wrangler.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If other people are riding with you, especially children, and dogs, AC is a must. Heat Stroke is life - threatening, don't take a chance.
Adding AC is no longer an option in JLs, so why take the risk.
Summers are getting hotter, pretty much everywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R3TRO

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
So it looks like the tally is...

34 - oh hell no!
1 - ya'll just a bunch of pussies!

LOL!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Am I crazy for considering a 2-dr Wrangler with no AC? I do live in SoCal where the summers are hot and most of the year it never drops below 60F. But hear me out... This would be a weekend toy as we already have a Willys JLU. It would be used mostly for legit offroad trails. Most of these trips would probably be in the South West, ie. desert.

I found a 2DR, 6spd, 6cyl, soft top, Wrangler base with zero options. As in hand crank windows! It's cheap at $30K. Pretty sure it's been sitting on the lot for a while because the no AC/2dr/6spd. The ONLY thing holding me back is the lack of AC.

So... I guess my question goes to anyone who has a Wrangler with no AC: Would I regret getting a Wrangler with no a/c? I'm worried that if I took it to any of the trails in my area I'd be miserable unless I avoided summer completely. I don't want to make a $30K mistake. Opinions welcome!
I didn't know they made them without a/c. That said, I don't need it, but my wife and kids do.
I'm kind of jealous of crank windows though!! Negotiate a better price unless this is brand new.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Am I crazy for considering a 2-dr Wrangler with no AC?
Insanely so.

...It would be used mostly for legit offroad trails. Most of these trips would probably be in the South West, ie. desert...
One word.... Dust. Especially so in dry climates.

These days people are everywhere "off road", and you will be overtaking them and passing them as oncoming traffic. And every time you do, you will buried in a massive cloud of dust that will make you choke and sneeze and make your eyes water. Everything in the Jeep will be covered with dust. Dust will get in everywhere-- your clothes, hair, your gear, and into every nook & cranny of the Jeep. And every time you're covered up in a cloud of dust, You'll be like "I wish I had the A/C and electric windows".

Nothing says you have to run with the windows closed and the A/C on all the time, but it's damned nice to have when you see that dust cloud coming at you at 30 mph...

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you Jeep with no a/c?! dust

Last edited:

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I agree with what several have said. When I was younger I had a TJ w/ no AC. I swore I would never do it again, and I haven't.

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Comfort around town is one thing, but when it's raining and the windows are fogged up and i have to deal with merging on to a highway, I want the AC to keep my windows clear. If that makes me less a man, so be it.

I ride around in all my cars and trucks with the AC off and windows down more than most to enjoy the fresh air, but having it there when I need it is well worth it.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Short answer..no. I live in San Antonio TX and the heat/humidity here in the summer is almost unbearable. When I see people driving around in 100+ temperatures with 100% humidity with the windows down I can't help but to think to myself "they are Fu!*ing crazy!"

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Running with the windows open or the top off and no A/C is great.... until you get stuck in three hours of gridlock on the 405 in the summer and suddenly you're dying of heat stroke.

This is SoCal. It gets hotter here every year. Get A/C.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Had 7 Jeeps from CJ3B to Willy's trucks. Never thought twice about AC.
I get it on today rigs but damn we sure have gotten soft!
I almost opted out of the AC when I ordered mine but glad I didn't. If it wasn't a daily and just a wheeler. NO AC needed for me but it's not.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara

$30,665 is the MSRP for a base 2dr v6 manual so that's not really a deal. $31,960 is MSRP for a base 2dr v6 manual with A/C. Find a dealer that sells for below MSRP and get the A/C...

No way Id buy anyting without A/C. Even when it's an option it's not an expensive one...
Sponsored