First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If they had decided to go with a 4BT or something built by Cummins, I would have gone Diesel 100/100 times. Since this motor is so unproven, and it seems to eat DEF from a few posts on this forum that doesn't lead to long term reliability. Also, if you drive alot, going through a Regen is a real pain in the ass mileage wise. My duramax would get 8 mpg doing 80mph during Regen.

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I had an ecodiesel Ram 1500(2016) and thank god I sold it before they started seizing and catching on fire. I'm serious, all you have to do is go read the ecodiesel forum and see the sheer amount of total engine failures, it is ridiculous. And now, after the recall and 'update', there have been tons of them straight up catching on fire. And just like here, FCA's customer service is freaking pathetic, some of the guys have really struggled. Even some of the 2020 Gen 3's are already reporting various issues over there. 100% pass on this turd of an engine.

OP
OP
PullmeSideways1341

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well - I am sold on keeping my 3.6.... Now it's time to spend a few bucks on my winch and lights. I hate to say the build will be complete, but it is getting close!
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you if you could? 3.6 vs Diesel With Tube Doors.JPG

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I would take a hard pass on the diesel.

Beyond maintenance costs, VM Motori has a poor reliability record for the 3.0, Some early reports from Ram show continued EcoDiesel issues.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Well - I am sold on keeping my 3.6.... Now it's time to spend a few bucks on my winch and lights. I hate to say the build will be complete, but it is getting close!
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you if you could? 3.6 vs Diesel With Tube Doors.JPG
I'm going to say that I think you chose well. :beer:

Nice machine you have there.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I guess I am the outlier in this. I have a 2002 F-350 7.3 L diesel, the 2016 GC diesel and now the 3.0 diesel Rubicon. The "emissions upgrade" was a mess. With the second update some issues were fixed. My experience with the current diesel has been positive. I am very happy to have the JLURD. I drive over 110 miles a day, 95% of which is freeway and a daily climb of 6,200 feet. I average over 26 mpg and am never lacking in power. DEF usage was 2.5 gallon for 5k miles. At 7k I checked my oil and it was clean and over the half mark. Maybe I am lucky, but I am super glad that I have the JLURD. Bottom line. Look at your needs, wants and desires. Research and decide.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If money were no object, not only now but in the future, and if it were offered in two door form, and if it was available with manual transmission, and if I could find or order one with the only options being LEDs, steel bumpers, body-colored fenders, Alpine audio (but the 7” screen), and if it were Sarge Green, then yes I would switch.

That’s a lot of ifs. So no, I will not be switching from my 3.6L.

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I guess I am the outlier in this. I have a 2002 F-350 7.3 L diesel, the 2016 GC diesel and now the 3.0 diesel Rubicon. The "emissions upgrade" was a mess. With the second update some issues were fixed. My experience with the current diesel has been positive. I am very happy to have the JLURD. I drive over 110 miles a day, 95% of which is freeway and a daily climb of 6,200 feet. I average over 26 mpg and am never lacking in power. DEF usage was 2.5 gallon for 5k miles. At 7k I checked my oil and it was clean and over the half mark. Maybe I am lucky, but I am super glad that I have the JLURD. Bottom line. Look at your needs, wants and desires. Research and decide.

As soon as GDE gets their tune back up and available I would suggest putting it on both your diesels...its been the only thing that has saved many of the guys over on the RAM side. FCA has absolutely no idea what they are doing when it comes to the emissions on these things, I'm convinced.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I will be the first i guess. i would get the 3.0. as it is a proven motor from the ram 1500 that has had it for a few years. i know a few people with that and they love it. zero issues. I believe the only down fall is fuel prices in Crapufornia diesel is higher than premium. I drove the 2.0T and I didnt care for it to say the least. you super heat the oil with the turbo which in turn you should be doing oil changes at 3-4K not 8K that FCA recommends. I rather have to use def fluid... which does jack shiat IMO thats a different topic and i wont go into it. and enjoy the diesel that has better range, longevity on the motor and its pretty easy to work on compared to the 48 volt etorque systems too. but it dont matter cause i love my 6speed and they wont make one for the diesel so that keeps me with the 3.6 without E-torque

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
If you could get a tune and do work arounds on all the emissions crap, like Green Diesel engineering once offered, then maybe, but not now.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I also live in socal. I buy diesel at an independent station and the latest price was $2.75 gallon. Just up the street it's $3.39. Go figure. California has the highest fuel tax in the country along with the worst roads. I have 4 vehicles (1991 jeep XJ, 4L, the F-350, the GC, and the Rubicon) all of which are 4x4. Reason, it snows where I live and my street is the last one to get plowed. I am looking forward to upgrading my jeep with underarmor, 3.5 lift, and all the rest of the goodies. With the 3.0 there is no need to regear. I doubt that I will get a taser or anything like it until the warranty runs out. I waited a long time for the diesel and am super happy I did.

JCscott

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon ‘19
So I have 18’JLUR (16k miles) with 3.6, sky one touch (family favorite) and steel bumpers. I have a good opportunity to trade in for a 20’ JLUR Diesel with hardtop and plastic bumpers.

Would you make the switch?
From those diesel drivers that had a 3.6 JK/JL is it worth it. On paper looks like the perfect power train (fun and efficiency).

I’m staying away from sharing financials as everyone’s value proposition is subjective. Just know this is all well within my means.
I wouldn’t if you plan on driving beyond Western countries. Diesel fuel doesn’t go through the filtering it does in the States and Europe, and that can destroy your engine while abroad.
Sponsored