Would you if you could? 3.6 vs Diesel

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I have 18’JLUR (16k miles) with 3.6, sky one touch (family favorite) and steel bumpers. I have a good opportunity to trade in for a 20’ JLUR Diesel with hardtop and plastic bumpers.

Would you make the switch?
From those diesel drivers that had a 3.6 JK/JL is it worth it. On paper looks like the perfect power train (fun and efficiency).

I’m staying away from sharing financials as everyone’s value proposition is subjective. Just know this is all well within my means.
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn't. I don't like diesels in general and certainly wouldn't pay more to have it as my powertrain. I don't think they're fun - if you want more low-end power, get the 2.0T gas engine and you don't have to go find diesel fuel, deal with the fumes, or worry about DEF and CELs. This is an unproven diesel powertrain vs. the bulletproof 3.6L Pentastar. And at least the 2.0T has a few years of usage in the JL to look at. The 3.0D is new and I understand the last generation wasn't good.

Plus, if your family likes the Sky One-Touch top, you would be hard pressed to install that on this new one if it didn't have one from the factory. And you'd have to pay for the steel bumpers too. Seems like a lot of cash stacking up to switch over to the 3.0D. I wouldn't.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I am about to pull the trigger on a Jeep and considered the Diesel, the cost combined with the complexity (there is a ton of electronic emission stuff) made me shift to the 2.0 turbo. To each his own and I really wanted the Diesel.

OP
OP
PullmeSideways1341

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Really interesting perspective. I think I was assuming the Diesel would be a reliable and solid power plant.
I really appreciate the opinions shared regarding the emissions (complexity) and other concerns.

I presumed the prevailing opinion would be to go Diesel and not look back.

I welcome more opinions, but now I’m leaning towards continuing my current build.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
you didn't say your reason for wanting to trade for the diesel. From everything I read I would consider, 1 the operating costs are much more $250 oil changes and fuel filter replacements every other oil change DEF fluid etc., and the price for fuel is on par with premium fuel in most locations, 2 Reliablity is still unknown with EGR and mostly city driving, 3 highway driving mpg seems to be the main benefit and may not justify the $4k cost for the ECO, personally I would give it a year when people have driven over 20k miles or more and then make a decision

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Really interesting perspective. I think I was assuming the Diesel would be a reliable and solid power plant.
I really appreciate the opinions shared regarding the emissions (complexity) and other concerns.

I presumed the prevailing opinion would be to go Diesel and not look back.

I welcome more opinions, but now I’m leaning towards continuing my current build.
I selected the 3.6 V6, well in reality the 6-speed manual decided for me, but I am sure it knows best.

I have a neighbor who only buys diesels, but they have to be older before DEF and some of the other complex diesel emissions components. He has concerns with the back pressure that is required to ensure that particulate counts are managed and its effect on the long-term life of the new diesels.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
No. Too many issues for my liking, to go to the diesel.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
No diesel for me, too cold in winter where i live to deal with gel issues and half hour warm up times plus all the other already mentioned issues like DEF and emissions problems.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I’m passing on the diesel as well. Cost of maintenance turned me off.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I’m passing on the diesel as well. Cost of maintenance turned me off.
I really want to love the Diesel. I'm a Diesel mechanic, and have been singing their praises for years when we were stuck without an option. But modern Diesels are not what they should be. They are not as reliable, and don't offer the clear advantages that they used to. As much as it breaks my heart. I will not be buying a Diesel to replace my 3.6L

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I would definitely not get the diesel. Diesels are made to be driven long distances and for long periods of time when started. They are not ment to be used as transportation to work and around town. With all the pollution controls on these new diesels the problems multiply exponentially when repairs are needed. Funny how Jeep doesn’t say much about reliability and really pushes the numbers between torque and mpg. Maybe most people do not take the time to smell the exhaust burning that DEF fluid but I can’t tolerate it. The catalyst will never last as long as a gas vehicle. I can go on and on but there is no use for diesels in passenger vehicles. I have driven diesels for years and they are a great power plant. If you want a truly unbiased opinion of these new diesels, go to any truck stop and ask a trucker what they think.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Too complex for me. The 3.6, while maybe being a bit uninspiring and not quite as torquey as it could be, is ultimately fun, throaty sounding and most importantly the simplest option. No direct injection, no turbo, no regen cycles and DEF fluid and who knows what else. I think the diesel is cool but I wouldn't trade. I'd rather spend the money on upgrades for the current rig.

los Lobos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I really want to love the Diesel. I'm a Diesel mechanic, and have been singing their praises for years when we were stuck without an option. But modern Diesels are not what they should be. They are not as reliable, and don't offer the clear advantages that they used to. As much as it breaks my heart. I will not be buying a Diesel to replace my 3.6L
Same feelings from me and count me as a guy who was really excited about the 3.0 and planned on buying one this fall. I've owned diesel vehicles and equipment and have done all my own wrenching for 40 years. They've gotten far too expensive, far too complicated, and far too unreliable. The modern equipment we have with def requirements and a sensor on everything is so much more trouble and unreliable than the older equipment and vehicles without.

A few weeks ago I rented a 2.0 non e-torque sport for 10 days so I could make an informed decision on the engine and trans. I was impressed and will be placing an order before the week is over.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Great thread - all interesting opinions, really solidified my decision to not do a diesel. Also - checked with dealerships on diesel oil changes - about $250, crazy and I like to do a change and rotation every 5,000 miles.
Sponsored