Sponsored

Would you/have you used Jeep service for product installation?

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

If you are obliged to use a dealership service department...

I think the trick (especially with add on installs) is getting the right tech (you want the pick of the litter) at the service department and know the tech has the experience with such an install and the right tools. You arrange that this tech do the deed so to speak.

IF, I am obliged to use a dealership service department, I find out in advance who their lets say lead guy there is, and arrange for him to work on the vehicle when I bring it in. Along with the right tech, it's important that tech has the necessary tools, and or, that the service department has the necessary tools.

Recently, I needed a decent, tech that had a magnetic induction heater kit. (Google it) Service department's locally, did not have one. I found a local tech with a terrific rep, that had his own. Yeah, I broke down and had him do an install for me. His having his own $400+ induction heater and his solid rep, sold me on him.

Again, great insight - thanks
Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
That gives me hope - thanks. Out of curiosity what cubes did you get and how are they
I am using Rigid Industries LED Spot Light Dually Pro Midnight Edition (with Baja Design A-Pillar mounts) and the Rough Country 30" hood light.

IMG_5377_zpsgx2vin4x.jpg

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I am using Rigid Industries LED Spot Light Dually Pro Midnight Edition (with Baja Design A-Pillar mounts) and the Rough Country 30" hood light.

IMG_5377_zpsgx2vin4x.jpg
Great set up. I need a focused light reaching way out just off road to pick up the deer before they commit suicide on the front of my jeep

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Dealership mechanics have done all my work since day one.

Extremely happy with there service

Mechanics like any other skilled trades out there are scarce so I can imagine some dealerships don't have top shelf mechanics
It really depends on how the mechanics are compensated for their work. If a mechanic feels the pressure to be under the book rate things could get ugly in a hurry due to shortchanging to save time that was lost while performing the repair.
Sometimes I leave a dealership just shaking my head and wondering how they got a job.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_5377_zpsgx2vin4x.jpg
Nice work there... Now that I've buttered you up ;), would you mind sharing what wiring harness you used?

Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work there... Now that I've buttered you up ;), would you mind sharing what wiring harness you used?
I used the harness that came with the lighting. I spliced the ends and connected them to aux switches cables under the hood. 45 minute job.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends on how the mechanics are compensated for their work. If a mechanic feels the pressure to be under the book rate things could get ugly in a hurry due to shortchanging to save time that was lost while performing the repair.
Sometimes I leave a dealership just shaking my head and wondering how they got a job.
That doesn't sound like a certified Mechanic to me

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I used the harness that came with the lighting. I spliced the ends and connected them to aux switches cables under the hood. 45 minute job.
Ah, so the harness is included... I saw a pair on Quadratech and the description mentions the harness being separate, but I now see I looked at the wrong pair. thank you...

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
That doesn't sound like a certified Mechanic to me
I think you meant to say "that does not sound like a knowledgeable certified mechanic". Anyone can become certified, but finding one that is great in the real world is rare.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Which auxiliary did you connect these to... 15 or 40 amp? The dealer technician connected my Mopar lights to the Aux 1 (higher draw, I guess)?

Sponsored

Notsew

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
The dealer hooked my 7” mopar lights up to Aux 1 too where directions clearly state Aux 3 or 4 only. Does it matter?