Sponsored

Would you/have you used Jeep service for product installation?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

i called my local Jeep dealer and asked how much to install the Mopar auxiliary panel and the service advisor asked what that was. I explained what it was and I still don’t think he got it. I was planning trailer hitch, OEM fog/headlights, aux switches but now I’m rethinking using Jeep.

Any good/bad experiences would be appreciated -

And I have less than zero mechanical/electrical skill.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
i called my local Jeep dealer and asked how much to install the Mopar auxiliary panel and the service advisor asked what that was. I explained what it was and I still don’t think he got it. I was planning trailer hitch, OEM fog/headlights, aux switches but now I’m rethinking using Jeep.

Apparently, dealers can’t even change the oil correctly. Not sure I would put too much faith in ability.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

You might want to call another dealership and ask the same questions until you get someone who knows their own Mopar products. If they had any pride, they would fake another call to put you on hold and Google it so they don't look so ignorant on their own Mopar items. You don't want them making mistakes and learning on your dime. They should at least have similar experience on a JK.

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

You might want to call another dealership and ask the same questions until you get someone who knows their own Mopar products. If they had any pride, they would fake another call to put you on hold and Google it so they don't look so ignorant on their own Mopar items. You don't want them making mistakes and learning on your dime. They should at least have similar experience on a JK.
Great idea - thanks

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine installed from the dealer. Mine was the first time they installed that part. I sent them Mopar part number. I got a price for part and install (plus flashing). They did it in about 4 hours. Very clean job and everything works perfect. I connected cubes and light already.

$375 part and install
$60 flashing

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

I get the frustration with the fact that the one place that is suppose to be an expert on your rig may not only not be an expert (at least on installing this feature) but a novice. It almost feels like they should be paying you--or at least giving you a substantial discount for the right to learn (and screw up, read more risk to you) on your rig.

At least they're suppose to have access to people at Corporate who are experts.

In the interest of "God helps those who help themselves" send the dealer a link like this.

It will not only explain what you want, but how it gets done.

Still more, the fender removal in this video is a bit outdated I think. One of the board's favorite Youtuber's has, I think, a better way.

Alternatively, if there's a mechanic in your area that you trust, you might want to hire them. At least this isn't (I don't think????) one of those installs that necessitates flashing the rig's electronics with hardware only the dealer has, although there is some post install configuration on the radio panel, but no different than that the owner does to set up the rig to their liking. The poster above suggests differently. I may be wrong.

BTW: as this feature uses the same hole in the fire wall to get the wires from the engine bay to the switches as does the 7 pin wiring harness for the trailer hitch, was it your intention to have the MOPAR 7 pin wiring harness installed when you get the trailer hitch, or for your situation will no trail hitch wiring (e.g. just hooking up a bike rack to the hitch) or the basic 4 pin wiring suffice? The 7 pin features the ability to control brakes that your trailer may have, in addition to lights.

I ask, because as an after purchase installation, that hole in the fire wall is tiny (read: it takes time, and setup time to remove portions of the fender, and time is money to get the wires through).

BTW: I didn't have to remove the fender to do this install using a segment of a wire hanger as a wire fishing tool on another installation.

If the 7 pin wiring harness is your goal, and you have the money (;) after all, who doesn't!) maybe consider getting the aux switches and 7 pin wiring harness done at the same time for less cost than doing each at different times.

When the dealer "is in Rome", and already removing pieces of the front passenger's fender to get to the hole through which to snake the wires from the engine compartment to the interior for the Aux switches, this is a good time to also do the 7 pin wiring harness install, and hopefully you can negotiate a price that is cheaper than doing each installation separately.

(Of course it seems you may have to explain to them why bundling these two installs together should deserve you a discount in cost over doing each at different times!)

The trailer hitch installation itself (sans wiring) on a Wrangler is pretty straight forward. You need to torque 4 bolts. I get this might be beyond your skillset, but likely not beyond a non-dealer mechanic's. The MOPAR version of this hitch will hold the 7 pin wiring harness, my but cheaper ones can be found online. The JK or JL versions of the trailer hitch both work. It seems that this is one of the few things that FCA didn't change with the JK to JL model redesign.

I did the 4 pin wiring myself as can mechanics. I'm not sure if MOPAR sells and will install a 4 pin trailer wiring system on the JL. I got mine after market from etrailer.com.

Others on the board probably know that and can chime in.

Good luck.

Last edited:

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership mechanics have done all my work since day one.

Extremely happy with there service

Mechanics like any other skilled trades out there are scarce so I can imagine some dealerships don't have top shelf mechanics

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I love my dealership, but I don’t do install there. What solidified that was the fact that several people questioned how to install the fuel door. The same fuel door that has 1screw and can be installed in the parking lot. Good people, but I trust the internet a bit more.

As for the aux install- I did it myself and it’s not overly hard. Have trim pullers and a riveter. The rest is just patience. About the only issue I had was feeding the wires through the areas behind the glove box. Such a tight area. But other than that, online videos are pretty clear.

87B63CAD-BF90-403B-8341-6D4AC49BE2D4.jpeg

30D3C432-6A6D-4470-9863-3809CA2CDEA6.jpeg

3341B167-839C-42AD-9EAC-F385521886E6.jpeg

9414C368-B86A-4301-82B1-7E4767330E5C.jpeg

B9CA0293-D36B-4909-B567-8E1654D30D8E.jpeg

3B769F76-CC02-4CA4-B76F-2FBC8280E13F.jpeg

ADBC28B2-EADC-438B-A543-C5CF2111D158.jpeg

EC7188A4-FD02-44CF-94B9-655BACE1DF3F.jpeg

12503A22-879E-401A-886A-ADAB4FDFD24F.jpeg

0407413C-1D83-48FF-9DCF-AFCACEF5D896.jpeg

7B8BB900-FDD1-4904-B16C-A118B7493C96.jpeg

69BF6DF2-665D-41B9-B390-494EFE6A6FDC.jpeg

Bleep

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 FIESTA!
I have the Maxcare lifetime warranty, any Mopar accessory that I have installed by the dealer will be covered with the lifetime warranty. Haven't had anything done yet, but I'll probably suck it up and have them instal anything that is mechanical, or electrical. Just for the warranty coverage.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

I did the same... I mounted the Mopar lights & bought the aux package about a month ago & recently set up an appointment to have the package installed, but the technician had never installed one before. They called me the day before my appointment to explain this. Given his experience (30+ years), I felt reluctantly confident (how's that for an oxymoron), but gave him a chance. I asked him if he knew what he was doing & he gave me the side-eye. That kinda sold it for me. Took over 3 hours, but it was worth the time and money...the quality of his work was factory-grade. He showed me what he was doing, what it looked like before he sealed up the innards, how to hook up anything else I may want, etc. I don't have any electrical-work experience and even after watching the installation videos, I didn't want to risk it on a 50k vehicle.

I was their first JL order and their first aux install. I gave up the virginity twice over.

By the way... those Mopar lights can light up a village & give you a tan.

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I have used the dealership before (installed the MOPAR lift on my last JKUR) but it really is hit and miss. If you can’t find one that knows what they are doing, maybe find a forum member that is close to you that can help. Everyone starts with zero skills and doing it is how you get better. If you don’t want to try and tackle it and can’t find local help, dealer it is.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I love my dealership, but I don’t do install there. What solidified that was the fact that several people questioned how to install the fuel door. The same fuel door that has 1screw and can be installed in the parking lot. Good people, but I trust the internet a bit more.

As for the aux install- I did it myself and it’s not overly hard. Have trim pullers and a riveter. The rest is just patience. About the only issue I had was feeding the wires through the areas behind the glove box. Such a tight area. But other than that, online videos are pretty clear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really wanted to do this on my own, but I didn't have enough faith & confidence in myself once the instructional videos got to the pins in the harness. I know safety pins & bowling pins... and that's pretty much where it stops. I've never even pinned a tail on a donkey. Seeing your work there, you did a really nice & clean job. As long as there are owners like you around these forums, I'll learn how to do more challenging modifications on my own.

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I had mine installed from the dealer. Mine was the first time they installed that part. I sent them Mopar part number. I got a price for part and install (plus flashing). They did it in about 4 hours. Very clean job and everything works perfect. I connected cubes and light already.

$375 part and install
$60 flashing
That gives me hope - thanks. Out of curiosity what cubes did you get and how are they
I get the frustration with the fact that the one place that is suppose to be an expert on your rig may not only not be an expert (at least on installing this feature) but a novice. It almost feels like they should be paying you--or at least giving you a substantial discount for the right to learn (and screw up, read more risk to you) on your rig.

At least they're suppose to have access to people at Corporate who are experts.

In the interest of "God helps those who help themselves" send the dealer a link like this.

It will not only explain what you want, but how it gets done.

Still more, the fender removal in this video is a bit outdated I think. One of the board's favorite Youtuber's has, I think, a better way.

Alternatively, if there's a mechanic in your area that you trust, you might want to hire them. At least this isn't (I don't think????) one of those installs that necessitates flashing the rig's electronics with hardware only the dealer has, although there is some post install configuration on the radio panel, but no different than that the owner does to set up the rig to their liking. The poster above suggests differently. I may be wrong.

BTW: as this feature uses the same hole in the fire wall to get the wires from the engine bay to the switches as does the 7 pin wiring harness for the trailer hitch, was it your intention to have the MOPAR 7 pin wiring harness installed when you get the trailer hitch, or for your situation will no trail hitch wiring (e.g. just hooking up a bike rack to the hitch) or the basic 4 pin wiring suffice? The 7 pin features the ability to control brakes that your trailer may have, in addition to lights.

I ask, because as an after purchase installation, that hole in the fire wall is tiny (read: it takes time, and setup time to remove portions of the fender, and time is money to get the wires through).

BTW: I didn't have to remove the fender to do this install using a segment of a wire hanger as a wire fishing tool on another installation.

If the 7 pin wiring harness is your goal, and you have the money (;) after all, who doesn't!) maybe consider getting the aux switches and 7 pin wiring harness done at the same time for less cost than doing each at different times.

When the dealer "is in Rome", and already removing pieces of the front passenger's fender to get to the hole through which to snake the wires from the engine compartment to the interior for the Aux switches, this is a good time to also do the 7 pin wiring harness install, and hopefully you can negotiate a price that is cheaper than doing each installation separately.

(Of course it seems you may have to explain to them why bundling these two installs together should deserve you a discount in cost over doing each at different times!)

The trailer hitch installation itself (sans wiring) on a Wrangler is pretty straight forward. You need to torque 4 bolts. I get this might be beyond your skillset, but likely not beyond a non-dealer mechanic's. The MOPAR version of this hitch will hold the 7 pin wiring harness, my but cheaper ones can be found online. The JK or JL versions of the trailer hitch both work. It seems that this is one of the few things that FCA didn't change with the JK to JL model redesign.

I did the 4 pin wiring myself as can mechanics. I'm not sure if MOPAR sells and will install a 4 pin trailer wiring system on the JL. I got mine after market from etrailer.com.

Others on the board probably know that and can chime in.

Good luck.
I truly appreciate the time and thought put into the response. This board has saved me dozens of times and this is probably the best yet - Thanks

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I did the same... I mounted the Mopar lights & bought the aux package about a month ago & recently set up an appointment to have the package installed, but the technician had never installed one before. They called me the day before my appointment to explain this. Given his experience (30+ years), I felt reluctantly confident (how's that for an oxymoron), but gave him a chance. I asked him if he knew what he was doing & he gave me the side-eye. That kinda sold it for me. Took over 3 hours, but it was worth the time and money...the quality of his work was factory-grade. He showed me what he was doing, what it looked like before he sealed up the innards, how to hook up anything else I may want, etc. I don't have any electrical-work experience and even after watching the installation videos, I didn't want to risk it on a 50k vehicle.

I was their first JL order and their first aux install. I gave up the virginity twice over.

By the way... those Mopar lights can light up a village & give you a tan.
That is GREAT. And I like the "tan" comment. Thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If you are obliged to use a dealership service department...

I think the trick (especially with add on installs) is getting the right tech (you want the pick of the litter) at the service department and know the tech has the experience with such an install and the right tools. You arrange that this tech do the deed so to speak.

IF, I am obliged to use a dealership service department, I find out in advance who their lets say lead guy there is, and arrange for him to work on the vehicle when I bring it in. Along with the right tech, it's important that tech has the necessary tools, and or, that the service department has the necessary tools.

Recently, I needed a decent, tech that had a magnetic induction heater kit. (Google it) Service department's locally, did not have one. I found a local tech with a terrific rep, that had his own. Yeah, I broke down and had him do an install for me. His having his own $400+ induction heater and his solid rep, sold me on him.

Sponsored