Sponsored

Would You Do it Over - Soft Top or Hard Top?

Windycityjeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I rode in many older wranglers that had soft tops and they were loud and leaky. I bought a JL with dual top. When I got home the hard top came off and the soft top when on. It is so good, the hardtop is NEVER going to come back on. Drove thru a driving rain storm a few weeks back---it was great. People that ride with me can't believe how quiet it is with a soft top.
Sponsored

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I think for me, if I was to go back, I would have ordered, but based on personal circumstances and immediate need (A/C went out at the beginning of summer in my trailblazer), time was of the essence, so I bought off the lot.

It came with a hard top, and I knew that's what I wanted. Summer's in STL get 100+ regularly, winters get to -4F fairly commonly, so I knew I needed that hardtop for weather protection. That being said, if I was to go back, do it all again, I would have ordered dual top. I know, kind of a cop out answer to get both, but I'd like the flexibility, especially to have soft top on in summer when my drive is like 45-60 min to work. I don't trust 10 hours with no top and unpredictable STL weather, so it means no top down drives to work. I'll eventually get a soft top once the aftermarket opens up...I'm not spending 2k+ on MOPAR OEM stuff.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I think for me, if I was to go back, I would have ordered, but based on personal circumstances and immediate need (A/C went out at the beginning of summer in my trailblazer), time was of the essence, so I bought off the lot.

It came with a hard top, and I knew that's what I wanted. Summer's in STL get 100+ regularly, winters get to -4F fairly commonly, so I knew I needed that hardtop for weather protection. That being said, if I was to go back, do it all again, I would have ordered dual top. I know, kind of a cop out answer to get both, but I'd like the flexibility, especially to have soft top on in summer when my drive is like 45-60 min to work. I don't trust 10 hours with no top and unpredictable STL weather, so it means no top down drives to work. I'll eventually get a soft top once the aftermarket opens up...I'm not spending 2k+ on MOPAR OEM stuff.

You forgot about the 70 degree Thanksgiving here. Dont like the weather just wait till tomorrow. We had the soft top down and front doors off today.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Hard top every time.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Nope, no more hardtops-the new soft top is SO QUIET/CONVENIENT/QUICK-ON/OFF-

Hard tops are too cumbersome/expensive/noisy !

W.E.

JIMBO

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Haha yep, I’ve been caught in too pop up down pours already! Got soaked, once with my boys. They thought it was hilarious. I’m sure people got a kick out of seeing us getting drenched
I’ve had quite a few unplanned showers - and each time my touchscreen glitches badly. Have you had any issues?

And to the OP question, I’d go dual-top and switch summer/winter like I did when I had that option on my TJ. Keeping the soft top out of the sun when there's not going to be an opportunity’s to drop it for long periods of time will extend its life.

The pain factors @MALL R8D pointed out with window storage and creases, added to its finite life give me pause to commit to it.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I’ve had quite a few unplanned showers - and each time my touchscreen glitches badly. Have you had any issues?

And to the OP question, I’d go dual-top and switch summer/winter like I did when I had that option on my TJ. Keeping the soft top out of the sun when there's not going to be an opportunity’s to drop it for long periods of time will extend its life.

The pain factors @MALL R8D pointed out with window storage and creases, added to its finite life give me pause to commit to it.
I have not had any issues with my touch screen during or after rain showers. Only been rained in twice but both were downpours. Granted neither one lasted very long and both times I parked in garages so it didn’t just sit in the rain

Boerne Jess

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU wrangler
Just picked up our JLU 10 days ago. This is my first wrangler, so I may be asking questions that have already been answered. Ours came with hard top...you can’t get one around here with a soft top and any options included. I think I’ll prefer the soft top, but will keep the hard top for winter since I’ve got it. I’m being told by dealership and a performance shop that soft top isn’t available for purchase yet. That doesn’t seem right. I’m gonna ask a different dealership. Does anyone have any insite on ordering a premium soft top? Mopar site shows a part number, and I’ve seen a soft top on a couple of other sites. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Just picked up our JL 10 days ago. This is my first wrangler, so I may be asking questions that have already been answered. Ours came with hard top...you can’t get one around here with a soft top and any options included. I think I’ll prefer the soft top, but will keep the hard top for winter since I’ve got it. I’m being told by dealership and a performance shop that soft top isn’t available for purchase yet. That doesn’t seem right. I’m gonna ask a different dealership. Does anyone have any insite on ordering a premium soft top? Mopar site shows a part number, and I’ve seen a soft top on a couple of other sites. Thoughts?
They are just backordered while Jeep catches up with all of the people who ordered dual tops or soft top only to start. Once the backlog is caught up, you can get one.

Sponsored

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I got dual tops back in 2010 because I couldn't decide. The hardtop was a waste; and, I live in an area with a winter. The temp differences, from my JK were are nil. The noise differences from JK were immaterial.
This time I got just the soft top. The hard top is a major hassle. The JL soft top is a major improvement; down in 3 and up in 5-1/2.

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited, 1970 Toyota FJ40, 2017 MB GLC300, 2017 Impreza Subaru
I would buy the power roof option

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase

Dealership left mine out in rain, they ordered new radio for it......still waiting

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I have both and, while the soft top is convenient, I'm a hard top guy. The soft top sits in the corner of the garage.

Please note - the below are only the personal opinions from a "non-Jeep" guy.

First, I love the look of the hard top. The lines remind me of the G-wagon. Tall, square, and clean. Never really liked the look of a soft top on a Jeep. I also love Liverwurst, so that may generally disqualify any further opinions.

Second, the hard top is quieter on the highway, cooler (in summer), and more secure. The soft top isn't loud–but the hard top is quieter.

Third, removing the Freedom Tops gives you plenty of that open-air feel if you're sitting up front. With the size of the rear roll bars and the speaker assembly, having the top all the way off feels negligible unless you're sitting in the back. My wife mentions that every time I take the top off and she's right. The biggest difference, IMO, comes from removing the doors.

Fourth, I built a garage hard top hoist for $100 that makes removal a snap.

Fifth, I live in Maryland, and there are approximately 4 days out of the year that are ideal for top-down driving.

Sixth, I bought a Mopar quick cover that I use for rain storms. It fits in the trunk storage cubby and takes three minutes to put on. It's made to snugly fit over a naked Jeep, including the door openings. Came in handy at the beach, when we left the top off the whole week.
Sponsored