Sponsored

Would You Do it Over - Soft Top or Hard Top?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Just a simple question here, but I know I am going to get killed with the sheer amount of replies as this applies to ALL JL owners.

Knowing what you know now, and with what you have, would you keep your current soft top or hard top or would you switch it out if you had to do it over again.

I will start.

I have the premium soft top (came with) and after having a TJ with a hard top, there is NO WAY I would switch back to a hard top now. The sheer strength you had to have *Flexes* to get that bitch off of their is ridiculous. I actually used to lift the hard top off by myself putting it on my back. LOL. Neighbors would wonder WTF I am doing.

Not only that, with the newer JKU,JLU, and how pricey those hard tops are, I will give you another 2 reasons I wouldn't switch to a hard top.

1. You have to build a winch lift to raise it up in the garage, meaning you have to store it, which also means you have to watch the weather to make sure it doesn't rain that day :). (I've seen jeeps pass me with hard top off and it be POURING.
2. I would be afraid I would scratch the hell out of it, or my clumsy ass would drop it.

With that said, The hard top does look rather awesome though.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To do it over again, I'd get the dual top group. If I couldn't afford that, I'd go with the soft top.

The hard top is great for winter, and it's also great for loading things into the cargo area. However, the draw of the Wrangler is it's ability to go topless, and the hard top makes that a pain in the ***.

Soft top all the way.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Always had regular soft tops, didn’t find that much difference on the premium top I test drove.
I wonder what the difference in the premium and regular soft tops are. I just thought they were all premium.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I had the HARDTOP for almost 9 years on my '08 JKUR and now the PREMIUM soft top on my JL--

I will never get/buy/use a HARDTOP AGAIN--this soft top is my best answer-

W.E.

jimbo

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had the HARDTOP for almost 9 years on my '08 JKUR and now the PREMIUM soft top on my JL--

I will never get/buy/use a HARDTOP AGAIN--this soft top is my best answer-

W.E.

jimbo
LOL. Seems like you have a few stories to share?

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder what the difference in the premium and regular soft tops are. I just thought they were all premium.
I believe the regular soft top is made out of a sail cloth and the premium is made out of a twill. The premium one is much thicker and insulates better.

Regular soft top:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-s...MIy6izr8bO3AIVEZ6fCh3USA6rEAQYAiABEgKiRfD_BwE

Premium soft top:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-s...MIuI7Gy8bO3AIVBJ-fCh2FlwNfEAQYAiABEgLS6PD_BwE

As for hard top vs soft top...I wanted a dual top myself so I could have the hard top for winter and the soft top for summer. I ended up with the hard top. I like the hard top...I have a JLU and it’s not too heavy for me to take on or off by myself...but I much prefer having help or a lift. Also...I get nervous about taking the hard top off and getting caught in the rain...

Last edited:

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The hardtop is obviously less convenient to go topless, but I love the security and durability of it. Worrying about someone cutting my soft top (happened several times on my old TJ) and the scratches/creases in the soft top windows is something I do not miss. Cost me under $150 for entire hoist setup and I can have my top off as quick or quicker than putting down a soft top

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Cost me under $150 for entire hoist setup and I can have my top off as quick or quicker than putting down a soft top
Correct but then if you get caught in a sudden downpour you're getting soaked. With the soft top you can throw it back up real fast on the side of the road.

But you make a great point. Both tops have their pluses and minuses and that's why the dual top group is a box that I wish I had checked off!!

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Correct but then if you get caught in a sudden downpour you're getting soaked. With the soft top you can throw it back up real fast on the side of the road.

But you make a great point. Both tops have their pluses and minuses and that's why the dual top group is a box that I wish I had checked off!!
Another good point. To be honest, if the soft top was still zippers, I would have reconsidered (even with all the crap I went through with my TJ hard top). But the slide on/off windows, and the 1 touch pull down for the soft top won me over.

Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
My poor Jeep sits outside all day. I live in a place with constant pop up storms and huge temperature swings. I have known multiple Jeep people (locally) who had their tops cut open so people could steal whatever was inside.

Having said that, once I have a secure cargo option and a softop available that doesn't require removing and storing windows, I will likely switch to that.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My poor Jeep sits outside all day. I live in a place with constant pop up storms and huge temperature swings. I have known multiple Jeep people (locally) who had their tops cut open so people could steal whatever was inside.

Having said that, once I have a secure cargo option and a softop available that doesn't require removing and storing windows, I will likely switch to that.
Poor jeep, my rear end! You have a daggone rubi! You ain't poor!

:muscle:

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara

Haha yep, I’ve been caught in too pop up down pours already! Got soaked, once with my boys. They thought it was hilarious. I’m sure people got a kick out of seeing us getting drenched

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Poor jeep, my rear end! You have a daggone rubi! You ain't poor!

:muscle:
I meant my Jeep is sad and out struggling in the elements every day. Plus of course I am poor. I have a Jeep and keep buying stuff for her.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I meant my Jeep is sad and out struggling in the elements every day. Plus of course I am poor. I have a Jeep and keep buying stuff for her.
LOL was kidding. :P. Don't you know ALL JEEP OWNERS are poor. Its a sacrifice we make.
Sponsored