Sponsored

Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Frunk on the F150 is a complete game changer. It is a massive storage space that trucks haven't had prior.
Yep, extra storage is always welcomed!

Unfortunately, the lack of charging locations compared to fuel stations, the limited range especially when hauling and towing, and the enormous additional weight of an electric pickup like that ruins it all for me. How much will it cost to charge that truck fully each time? $35? $50? And hours between "fills"? Naaa.... not me.
Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I love my 3.0. The power is insane. It sounds cool. Great mileage. No righ-rev drama.

However....

If you need to tow in the summer, expect some cooling issues.

If you need to tow in the summer at elevation, or mountainous terrain, or long grades and you like driving at or near the speed limit.... Don't do it! You'll be stressed the entire time watching gauges and it will not be enjoyable.
There’s gotta be some sort of cooling issues with the JL platform. In May, I towed my YJ buggy back to Phoenix from Cheyenne on an 18ft trailer. The YJ weighs 4900lb, the trailer weighed 2000lb and I never overheated the 3.0L in my 1500. Temps were 95° through sections of AZ, I saw 231° water and 244° oil.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I love my 3.0. The power is insane. It sounds cool. Great mileage. No righ-rev drama.

However....

If you need to tow in the summer, expect some cooling issues.

If you need to tow in the summer at elevation, or mountainous terrain, or long grades and you like driving at or near the speed limit.... Don't do it! You'll be stressed the entire time watching gauges and it will not be enjoyable.
Odd, I've not had any issues. Since my previous post here, I've gotten another boat (23' Wellcraft). It weighs 4840lbs (certified CAT scales). I've towed it several times this summer (usually 90+* and 80% humidity). A few hour-long trips on the interstate (~68-70mph), several hour-long trips in rush-hour traffic (to the boat shop).

Coolant stays at 204*, trans temp is at 197*, and oil temp is 212*. The only time I see any increase in temps is when going up the Huey P. Long bridge (or any other bridge) and my trans temp goes to 200*.

Now, most of this is across flat land and with nice, thick sea-level air. But, it does well!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/towing-with-3-0-diesel.70886/post-1517594

Tejas

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JULRD
In a heartbeat. I wasn't looking for a diesel but it was on the lot, right color, right options, right deal. I don't think i'd ever go back to petrol.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
just passed 36k on our 2020 diesel rubi driving from Texas to Florida and back to Texas. Averaged 27-30 mpg the whole trip depending on speed limit. In 36k miles, only warranty work was having a sunvisor replaced. Absolutely zero issues with it. If it came in a two door, i'd go tomorrow and buy another one!

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Yes, because I like it.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not?

I’d love to know if you’d buy an EcoDiesel again, and if so, why? If you wouldn’t buy it again, why?

Any help is much appreciated!
Yes, at this point I would buy another diesel. If it blows up tomorrow, I will change my answer. I love my 3.0 L turbo diesel. I have 16,000 trouble free miles. With 442 lb.-ft. of torque, it can pull hard. The water cooled variable geometry turbo helps with air flow at high altitude.

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Right and I was always one of those silent voices that said "I wish they put a diesel in a Wrangler"!
I put a 6bt in a 72 k30. Next I was going to put a 4bt into a CJ7….then I had 2 kids. This is as close to that as I’ll ever get before they ban all ICE engines.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Another thing to consider... if the government wins and forces diesel engines out of production, these Jeeps with turbo-diesels will become nearly collectible in a very short time, maybe as soon as 15 years from now.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
They’re not just attacking diesels. It’s all ICE engines. They’re done, it’s just a matter of time. Sure, you can buy a 900 lb/ft Rivian but the damn thing has a curb weight of 8,577 lbs and is $78k! It weighs and costs more than my ram 3500 dually with a Cummins.

This Jeep at 4500 lbs and 442 lb/ft has almost the same torque to weight ratio than the Rivian.

Last edited:

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
She already has one and I plan on pulling the trigger and ordering one with the next few months. Love that torque....