Sponsored

Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not?

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
From what I read, heat dissipation is an issue in both the JL and JT when it comes to the turbo engines. Both the 2.0 and diesel create a ton of heat. The design of the front clip in the JL and JT can't get enough air through to keep everything cool. That's why the JT tow rating for the diesel is lower than for the 3.6.

It comes down to getting the heat out of the engine bay. If the nose was taller with a bigger radiator like it was in generations past, there would be better airflow. But that would hurt the aerodynamics and that would hurt mileage (which is not great to begin with).

The Ram and the Grand Cherokee (when it had the 3.0 diesel) are better shaped to get the air flow you need to cool the engine. So it's less of a problem with those.
What kind of heat are we talking about? Engine water temp, engine oil temp, trans fluid temp, all of the above?

I towed a 4000+lb pontoon boat the most un-aerodynamic boat there is) for about an hour at interstate speeds (70-73mph) with no doors/roof on. Basically, a brick with holes towing a brick with tubes.

Monitored oil, coolant, and trans temps the whole way. Only ran around 10*F above normal. Temps were just past the halfway mark in the digital display, so I think ~175*F trans and ~220*F oil (don't remember coolant temp).

Now, this was back in January, but it was ~75*F.
Sponsored

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
No I wouldn’t buy one. I had a 3.6 Jk then factory ordered a fully loaded rubicon. I have 6k miles and have an oil leak and they want to replace my front axle because it makes a noise

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

No I wouldn’t buy one. I had a 3.6 Jk then factory ordered a fully loaded rubicon. I have 6k miles and have an oil leak and they want to replace my front axle because it makes a noise
You have an engine oil leak? If so how bad? From your report it sounds like you have an engine leak and a possible front axle replacement because of noise. Hats off to Jeep for doing a complete axle swap over a noise. I've heard that's all they could do because of because lack of available parts versus the complete axle.

Hayabusa4448

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’ve got a 2020 JLUR with a 3.6L and a manual. I love the Jeep and it’s perfectly configured… except for the drivetrain.

I live at 5200 feet, and routinely go to 8000+ on weekends. This is where the naturally aspirated 3.6 really falls down. The eastbound climb up Vail Pass on I70 has me in 3rd gear, winding out the engine just to stay at highway speeds, uphill, at altitude. I LOVE a good manual transmission, but this one just isn’t. Much ado has been made of the clutch issues, but even that aside the shifter does not add to the experience.

I have had two diesels before: a 2012 VW TDI and a 2015 BMW 328d. Neither required DEF.
I can get out of my 2020 3.6L and into a 2021 3.0 EcoDiesel relatively easy. But should I?

My Jeep usually gets driven long distances on weekends, but I do take several short trips during the week as I usually commute by bus, or work from home.

I’d live to know if you’d buy an EcoDiesel again, and if so, why? If you wouldn’t buy it again, why?

Any help is much appreciated!
My first JLU was a '18, base model crank windows, manual transmission Sport. I'm in Chicago where it's pretty flat and air density is not an issue but I did not enjoy driving it at all, it constantly felt underpowered so I understand you totally.
But like some members suggested, I also agree that you should not get a diesel if you're gonna use the car for mostly city driving. That engine is not gonna perform well after thousands of miles if it doesn't run through it's regen cycles regularly like it should. Stop and go, on and off in short intervals will mess that engine up long term.
My commute to work depending on where the job is has been minimum 45 mls each way and diesel capable of at least 25mpg average is a must. That 4xe is probably a better rig for your needs.
On a side note I see you owned BMW and VW diesel, if no DEF then it must have been a Jetta or Golf since Passat and Touareg both use DEF. But I'm curious if you owned a 2015 328d and never noticed a blue little cap an inch away from fuel cap? You must have had free maintenance with your purchase because I assure you every 328d uses DEF, I have to refill every 9-10k mls depending on driving :). Good luck in your search

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
21,000 miles on my 3.0, still fits my use case perfectly. Moves my heavy overland setup with pace over 400 miles per fillup returning over 21mpg on 37s. My issues with the rig so far have to do with the JL design and the way it is driven…bent both rear axle shaft flanges hitting several hundred arctic frost heaves at 60-80mph and wheeling the hell out of it all over AK. Same use caused the adhesive to let go on an intrusion beam inside my passenger front door requiring a warranty door replacement. 3.0 has taken all of the abuse without skipping a beat so far.
I'm trading a 2020 JTR for a 2021 JLURD as soon as my order comes in. My JT is on 37's with 4.88 gears...did you re-gear your JL or running the 37's on the 3.73?

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Absolutely I would get another JLURD. We just got back from a trip to the outer banks NC. 1400 miles and 29 mpg on 37s. That’s 29 mpg including Memorial Day beach traffic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not? C39DD510-67ED-455D-AB79-97632EF8C6CB
Plenty of power, goes anywhere, comfortable, and great economy. What more would you want.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Damn! Was that at 55 mph most of the time?

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Outstanding mpg. Your range is gotta be almost 500 miles.

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Absolutely x2.
Yesterday, my ‘21 JLURD pulled a trailer and boat 30-miles to boat dealer for service; diesel pulled like a champ and delivered 21-mpg under load (2,750-pounds). 3.0 Diesel and 8HP75 transmission are a beastly pairing and I couldn’t be happier.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'm trading a 2020 JTR for a 2021 JLURD as soon as my order comes in. My JT is on 37's with 4.88 gears...did you re-gear your JL or running the 37's on the 3.73?
I’ve been on 3.73 without once feeling a need for anything higher. Cruises in 8th in the low 60mph range, still needs 4L way less frequently than my 3.6 did over the same terrain with 4.10 gears and the 6MT.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'll have to answer this question again after J**p finishes repairing mine.

loved driving it for the few-thousand miles it ran, until the CP4 Fuel Pump grenaded and took out the entire fuel system.

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
I love my 3.0. The power is insane. It sounds cool. Great mileage. No righ-rev drama.

However....

If you need to tow in the summer, expect some cooling issues.

If you need to tow in the summer at elevation, or mountainous terrain, or long grades and you like driving at or near the speed limit.... Don't do it! You'll be stressed the entire time watching gauges and it will not be enjoyable.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
100% I would buy again.
last ICE I’ll ever buy in fact. Ordered an F150 lightning that will take over daily duties next year

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
100% I would buy again.
last ICE I’ll ever buy in fact. Ordered an F150 lightning that will take over daily duties next year
The Frunk on the F150 is a complete game changer. It is a massive storage space that trucks haven't had prior.
Sponsored