Sponsored

Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not?

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Thanks to all for the input! I think I’m going to end up leasing a 4xe. The deals are very favorable, and the all-electric range fits my life well; the many short hops vs. long drives favor the 4xe IMO. That said, I don’t want to OWN a 4xe given its complexity and the rate of EV innovation. If I were to buy a 2021, I think an EcoDiesel would be the way I’d go.
Yeah if short trips is your thing then i wouldn't really do the diesel. It likes to go the distance
Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Thanks to all for the input! I think I’m going to end up leasing a 4xe. The deals are very favorable, and the all-electric range fits my life well; the many short hops vs. long drives favor the 4xe IMO. That said, I don’t want to OWN a 4xe given its complexity and the rate of EV innovation. If I were to buy a 2021, I think an EcoDiesel would be the way I’d go.
I was starting to have buyer's remorse when I heard about the 4xe. Having watched many real life driving reviews on the 4xe it is very apparent you must be very intuitive on pressing the right buttons throughout every trip to get the most efficiency out of that hybrid. From what I seen you end up lugging around 500 lb of dead battery weight and running on the four cylinder 2.0. They claim you could charge the battery while driving but it takes more gas to do so?? doesn't make sense. One for the other. It has the smallest gas tank of all the models. My diesel holds just shy of 19 gallons where the gas version holds only two gallons more but I get 8+ MPG. Hands down I got the farthest range zero issues with 16000 MILES. Compared to the 3.6 which I had two of and they were the JK's. So I was handicapped with the 5-speed Auto, my Driving Experience went from a 6 to a 10 while driving around town any given headwind on a relatively flat Force light grade in the road. Where it absolutely shines is with a full camp load in the back and climbing to the higher elevations up mountain roads it's effortlessly the most enjoyable Jeep experience I've ever had. Although I've never had an overheating issue I wish jeep would have put the forced-air injunction hood on our Diesel's like they do the models outside the US. It's the same Hood found on the 392 it's standard on all the other diesels outside the United States. I just added the Banks iGage with the Pedal Monster took my Driving Experience from a 10 to a 10++.
Zero reprogramming. Simple Plug and Play. My 3.6 buddy loved the power and Pep of my diesel now he is blowing away with the Banks add on. Best $600, I ever spent for an upgrade. Now I need to get my hands on one of those 392 hoods.
From what I've heard here on this forum the 2.0 gas engine direct injected Turbo gets great gas mileage and has all the power you would ever need even with 37s. I would definitely buy another diesel but if you're looking at the 4xe save yourself the $$,trouble, headache far and few between compatible charging stations, and lugging around 500 lb of dead batteries on the back road. Instead get 500 lbs of steel bumper, winch, skid plates, rock rails, 21 mpgs and a 22 gal tank. JMO. 4 me Diesel, good luck! Keep us posted.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I have a 2020 JLURD and I will be getting a JT diesel if the 2022 models offer a color I like. Jury is out if we will keep the JL or sell it.
Like the JT drove the 3.6 version in 2020 knew immediately with a full load and upgraded tires this thing would be immensely underpowered. It had adequate power with no load, stock tires, around town. Nowhere near the fun factor of the diesel JL. Not a fan of the 2.0 but would love to know why the engineers didn't offer it in the JT.

bgriley65

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Rubicon and 2003 JK
While I only have around 2500 miles... but when going up the pass from Bishop up toward Mammoth (Sherwin Summit), I set cruise at 72 and it wasn't even breathing hard.

My JK would struggle up that hill, and RPMs would go crazy.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

While I only have around 2500 miles... but when going up the pass from Bishop up toward Mammoth (Sherwin Summit), I set cruise at 72 and it wasn't even breathing hard.

My JK would struggle up that hill, and RPMs would go crazy.
Been up that same Highway numerous times both with the 3.6 and now the new EcoDiesel. I would cringe and stress with the 3.6 the whole way made the drive unpleasant now I smile and grin. The driving experience is just as nice as the vacay, awesome!

Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I really wish they offered the diesel in a 2-door.....they could take my money right now! Instead, I've got the 2.0L turbo and am very pleased with it. I also live in Colorado and am usually operating between 7000 and 9000 ft elevation. Forced induction is the way to go - diesel would make it even better with that awesome torque curve.
The exhaust won’t fit under the two door 🤣🤣🤣

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Like the JT drove the 3.6 version in 2020 knew immediately with a full load and upgraded tires this thing would be immensely underpowered. It had adequate power with no load, stock tires, around town. Nowhere near the fun factor of the diesel JL. Not a fan of the 2.0 but would love to know why the engineers didn't offer it in the JT.
From what I read, heat dissipation is an issue in both the JL and JT when it comes to the turbo engines. Both the 2.0 and diesel create a ton of heat. The design of the front clip in the JL and JT can't get enough air through to keep everything cool. That's why the JT tow rating for the diesel is lower than for the 3.6.

It comes down to getting the heat out of the engine bay. If the nose was taller with a bigger radiator like it was in generations past, there would be better airflow. But that would hurt the aerodynamics and that would hurt mileage (which is not great to begin with).

The Ram and the Grand Cherokee (when it had the 3.0 diesel) are better shaped to get the air flow you need to cool the engine. So it's less of a problem with those.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

From what I read, heat dissipation is an issue in both the JL and JT when it comes to the turbo engines. Both the 2.0 and diesel create a ton of heat. The design of the front clip in the JL and JT can't get enough air through to keep everything cool. That's why the JT tow rating for the diesel is lower than for the 3.6.

It comes down to getting the heat out of the engine bay. If the nose was taller with a bigger radiator like it was in generations past, there would be better airflow. But that would hurt the aerodynamics and that would hurt mileage (which is not great to begin with).

The Ram and the Grand Cherokee (when it had the 3.0 diesel) are better shaped to get the air flow you need to cool the engine. So it's less of a problem with those.
All turbos create heat Jeep just needed functioning vents on top of the hood. You have the design on the Rubicon just open them up.
I would but I don't have the Rubicon therefore I don't have the fake vents but if you do have the Rubicon there's YouTube videos that show you how to open them without doing too much altercation or damage
The exhaust won’t fit under the two door 🤣🤣🤣
The two door only has a 16 gallon tank regardless of engine choice✌

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
My diesel is quite a bit nicer to drive on the road than my 3.6 at. The diesel is quiet, smooth and powerful.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
100% yes would buy again, I have a shorter commute so I just make sure to take the scenic route sometimes every other week and monitoring everything with the scanguage helps.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Now I need to get my hands on one of those 392 hoods.
Im not sure a 392 hood will just work since the ram air opening is funneled to a special opening on the 392 air box so you would have to get that air box as well and make sure it fits with everything.

Have you seen our H.E.R.O. Hood? We have a Diesel version and in addition to the ram air functionality you also get a huge amount of heat reduction from the engine bay.

Last edited:

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Mileage is not important to me. Its a Jeep. I drive it for fun. First time on trail this weekend but so far I love this engine. If mine was stolen today, I'd buy another in heartbeat
Sponsored