Sponsored

Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not?

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve got a 2020 JLUR with a 3.6L and a manual. I love the Jeep and it’s perfectly configured… except for the drivetrain.

I live at 5200 feet, and routinely go to 8000+ on weekends. This is where the naturally aspirated 3.6 really falls down. The eastbound climb up Vail Pass on I70 has me in 3rd gear, winding out the engine just to stay at highway speeds, uphill, at altitude. I LOVE a good manual transmission, but this one just isn’t. Much ado has been made of the clutch issues, but even that aside the shifter does not add to the experience.

I have had two diesels before: a 2012 VW TDI and a 2015 BMW 328d. Neither required DEF.
I can get out of my 2020 3.6L and into a 2021 3.0 EcoDiesel relatively easy. But should I?

My Jeep usually gets driven long distances on weekends, but I do take several short trips during the week as I usually commute by bus, or work from home.

I’d live to know if you’d buy an EcoDiesel again, and if so, why? If you wouldn’t buy it again, why?

Any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I think you should! Everyone who gets in my Jeep says "wow it feels so light..." What they dont know is that, its the heaviest Jeep of them all! But the diesel is what makes it feel "light" it just gets up and goes no matter what!

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
All that while getting 25mpg+.... What's to hate??

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
The twin turbo diesel is a beast at elevation, the power is amazing!

Desert Raptor

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Definitely would recommend the JLURD. My latest 2021 automatic has the Mopar diesel lift with five 37x13.5x17 Cooper STT pros. Awesome torque! This Beast runs @1460 rpm at 80 mph and the like kind 3.6L gas version runs @3450 rpm. The Diesel easily gets into 8th gear. I have the painted hard top with factory headliners and enjoy a quiet ride with no conversation or phone call noise issues. Averaging 21.5 mpg around town without start/stop engaged. See you on Black Bear Pass soon!

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
yes. I had a perfectly fine 3.6L JK. The diesel was why I went to JL and will have to redo all my build up of the jeep again. First time I fully floored the diesel I was surprised at how much get up and go it had. I no longer live in CO, but non-forced induction (naturally aspirated) motors really suffer at that altitude. Forced induction really helps, especially turbos. I'll be in CO in a couple months and can give you some info on how much loss there is from sea level, but I suspect it is low. I also tow, so I use that torque. The JK 3.6L suffered immensely towing over passes on the highway; like 40mph up vail pass and even doing that is revving it more than I probably should be.

And if you aren't happy with the diesel power, there is always Banks for about $800 you can up the output 40hp/75ft-lb (roughly) which is a pretty significant increase.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Don’t own one but I test drove one. It’s fucking awesome, if it was available in the two door I would have gotten it over the 3.6 I have.

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLURD, ‘02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
I’d have a bit tougher time now choosing between diesel and 392, but I absolutely love the diesel. I take it to the mountains quite often and it’s as good at 10k feet highway or offroad as it is at sea level. Effortless power for any situation. A lot of people complain about def but I don’t know why so many people make such a big deal about it. it’s a very very minor inconvenience for what you get out of that engine. It’s cheap, quick, and I’ve filled it twice in 9 months/12k miles with the car. I’d buy the diesel again in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

jmelgin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I really wish they offered the diesel in a 2-door.....they could take my money right now! Instead, I've got the 2.0L turbo and am very pleased with it. I also live in Colorado and am usually operating between 7000 and 9000 ft elevation. Forced induction is the way to go - diesel would make it even better with that awesome torque curve.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
21,000 miles on my 3.0, still fits my use case perfectly. Moves my heavy overland setup with pace over 400 miles per fillup returning over 21mpg on 37s. My issues with the rig so far have to do with the JL design and the way it is driven…bent both rear axle shaft flanges hitting several hundred arctic frost heaves at 60-80mph and wheeling the hell out of it all over AK. Same use caused the adhesive to let go on an intrusion beam inside my passenger front door requiring a warranty door replacement. 3.0 has taken all of the abuse without skipping a beat so far.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
oops! Sorry, I guess its just habit since I've always owned twin turbo six's in the past (1990 Nissan 300ZX and 2007 BMW 335is)

OP
OP
ChimpanZed

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks to all for the input! I think I’m going to end up leasing a 4xe. The deals are very favorable, and the all-electric range fits my life well; the many short hops vs. long drives favor the 4xe IMO. That said, I don’t want to OWN a 4xe given its complexity and the rate of EV innovation. If I were to buy a 2021, I think an EcoDiesel would be the way I’d go.
Sponsored